I'm concerned about Oglesby

Matt Gatens was a fierce competitor his senior year, always provided consistent leadership, set a fine example, and sacrificed perhaps as much as anyone for the Iowa basketball program.

But he's not one of the greatest Hawks ever. He doesn't crack the top 15. This is not a slight to Matt. It's a compliment to the Sam Williams, John Johnson, BJ Armstrong, Roy Marble, Ronnie Lester, Andre Woolridge, Kevin Kunnert, Don Nelson Adam Haluska, Freddy Brown, Herb Wilkinson and Greg Stokes of the world.

aaronzuriel probably doesn't know anything about anyone that played before Kenny Arnold.

And for the record, I have never heard of Herb Wilkinson and I am one of the biggest Iowa fans around, and most knowledgeable. Ask Miller if you doubt that.

aaronzuriel probably doesn't know anything about anyone that played before Kenny Arnold.

And for the record, I have never heard of Herb Wilkinson and I am one of the biggest Iowa fans around, and most knowledgeable. Ask Miller if you doubt that.

Thhat makes two straight posts wherein you tout your own "basketball knowledge" and "terrific super fan-ness". Shut up almond licker.

Might be time to update your resume: Herb Wilkinson

Since you guys brought up Herb Wilkinson, and I do not want to start a new thread on this. Anybody know why Iowa was left out of both the NIT and NCAA tournament in that 44-45 season? They were the Big Ten champs at 17-1 (11-1 in conf) but Ohio State, who finished 2nd, was invited into the NCAA tournament.

JO has made a living by inflating his 3 point stats during blow out games. A bit surprised he is still considered a 3 point sniper.

He is the type of one dimensional player that Fran can do without. I take Clemmons in his minutes anyday.

Jok should have no problem taking Ogelsby's minutes next year. The less minutes for Ogelsby the better for he team.

Josh needs to understand that now is an extremely critical time for him and his future at Iowa. Start making the 3s, assisting on the offense, playing some basic defense. Otherwise be prepared to ride a lot of pine and be used only sparingly, not just this season but the rest of his years at Iowa. As difficult as it is to climb the ladder when you first join a program, it's even harder to have gained some experience and playing time with that program and suddenly find yourself back at or near the bottom rung. JO is at risk of finding himself there.

Holy crap! How much crap can we talk about a local player? Transfer bait, seriously????

Let me remind everyone how bad Iowa was back when Fran recruited him, they needed players and Oglesby chose to stay home and play at Iowa over Creighton, Illinois, and Minnesota. Yeah he needs a lot of work on defense and his shooting has been a disappointment but I see a guy that is busting his a$$ when he is out on the court and doing everything he can to help the team win. I hope he sticks around, figures out why his shots are not going down, be a good role player, and get his degree.

Holy crap! How much crap can we talk about a local player? Transfer bait, seriously????

Let me remind everyone how bad Iowa was back when Fran recruited him, they needed players and Oglesby chose to stay home and play at Iowa over Creighton, Illinois, and Minnesota. Yeah he needs a lot of work on defense and his shooting has been a disappointment but I see a guy that is busting his a$$ when he is out on the court and doing everything he can to help the team win. I hope he sticks around, figures out why his shots are not going down, be a good role player, and get his degree.

I do not want him to transfer. But if Jok and Uthoff contribute as expected next year, that will mean fewer minutes for other players, including Josh. A 3-point sniper who plays at least average defense will see a lot of minutes. One whose marksmanship is off, as Josh's has been this season, and who is not a strong defensive presence, won't see much time on the floor as others step up.

as i get older, i get more ball wrinkles

oThQl.gif

I guess I have a totally different perspective on Josh. I see I guy who is guarded very closely by one of the other teams top guards while he is in the game. He is being guarded much closer than last year because of how he shot the ball last year. If you don't have as much space because you are being guarded more closely, it will be more difficult to get your shot off. It will also make you look like you are not ready to take a shot or make it look like you are hesitating. Additionally, if you are drawing defenders away from the basket to guard you from shooting the three, you are opening up the middle more for Woody, Basabe and others, and you are creating space for Clemmons and Gessel to penetrate and break down defenses. Also, JO does not turn the ball over. He does penetrate some because he is being guarded closely on the perimeter and passes well, most of the time for an assist. And lastly, I think he is a very under-rated defensive player. He certainly is not a liability on defense for this team. I think he plays a greater role for this team than many of you are willing to give him credit for. If that changes next year with the addition of Jok and Uthoff, well then that means that Fran is doing what he is supposed to do with recruiting and in the long run that will only make the program better.

Of course I also have a different perspective on McCabe than many. I think he plays a huge role for this team. May is the only one that I think is not doing much. But, I am not going to bash a senior who has given so much to the program, so I don't mind the time he is getting because he has earned it over the years.

Latest posts