Illinois to Legends

If you fly to Newark, you can take a cheap train ride into the city--half hour, real easy. I did it for a day trip when I was stranded at the Newark Airport a few years ago--pretty convenient.

Also, apparently buses leave from NYC to New Brunswick every half hour, a little over an hour trip.

Department of Genetics » Rutgers University

I'm going with do-able on this one, Ghost.

Also, with that bus being available from NYC, you could probably just fly into LaGuardia and stay in the city.

It is not even remotely that far from Eastern Iowa, where the vast majority of Iowa fans actually live.Last time, we took the Amtrak train from Mt Pleasant that goes right to Ann Arbor. Left in the morning and arrived in the early evening.

In case you haven't figured this out, people are teasing you because you seem so reactive.

I've actually driven to all of the big ten schools except for PSU. I've driven to some of them several times, so I totally understand the drives from Iowa, Madison, and Chicago.

Having said that, if one lives in DSM (or whatever), drives to Cbus, etc are not "close."

Let's say I live in Chicago, and take the orange line to Midway for an early flight to NYC. I'm there by 10am. Done that several times.
And what would that cost you, moneybags? How much are hotel rooms in a major metro like that, compared to, say, Bloomington. Champaign, or West Lafayette?

From Chicago, you can do a day trip in NYC and be back in Chicago in the late evening if you really want to. Ponder that as you drive through central Illinoise and Indiana.

30482089.jpg

It was a blast, thanks for asking. How many games did you get to this year?

Because of work and family, I'm proud to say I went to zero road games this year (although Iowa City is technically a road game for me because I live in Madison).

I only went to three home games, and my sister went to the other ones. I don't feel terrible about that, this year!

A couple of years ago, I got to see Iowa lose, in person, in Tucson, Evanston, and Minneapolis. That was just lovely. I loved Tucson, though.

Also, time to remake the protected rivalries

Michigan - Ohio State
Michigan State - Indiana
Nebraska - Penn State
Illinois - Purdue
Northwestern - Maryland
Minnesota - Wisconsin
Iowa - Rutgers

At least we get to play in NYC every other year?

Whew...such brilliant insight from BSpringsteen.....

In case you haven't figured this out, people are teasing you because you seem so reactive.I've actually driven to all of the big ten schools except for PSU. I've driven to some of them several times, so I totally understand the drives from Iowa, Madison, and Chicago.Having said that, if one lives in DSM (or whatever), drives to Cbus, etc are not "close."
They are extremely "close" when compared to NYC. Surely someone capable of operating a motor vehicle and your level of expertise can understand that simple point. Or maybe not.Plus, if you travel that far to C-bus or State College, you end up someplace cool. Unlike Rutgers, or New Jersey in general.

They are extremely "close" when compared to NYC. Surely someone capable of operating a motor vehicle and your level of expertise can understand that simple point. Or maybe not.Plus, if you travel that far to C-bus or State College, you end up someplace cool. Unlike Rutgers, or New Jersey in general.

Um, NYC is "cool" compared to places like Champaign, is it not?

I see you're going low brow again and weakly attempting to insult me. Are you driving right now?

If you can go to multiple road games, driving 1000 miles round trip, you have money.

Fail. Racerhawk - you and I both know there is no Motel 6 in the NYC.

But there is one by Newark Airport. Back in the early days of the band, we stayed there. Maybe it was a Red Roof.

Anyway I digress - we're being trolled. Because the ******* Motel 6 in Coralville suddenly becomes $149 a night on gameday.

I usually do the road trips in a day, unless its Penn State, but I tried that one too. Got to Toledo Oh after the game in 09 and about the 4th time I only had 2 wheels on the road, that was it, time to get a hotel. Drive all night, tailgate, go to the game, drive home. I also live in Madison (actually Verona), so the games in IC are a piece of cake compared to going to the road games.

If you can go to multiple road games, driving 1000 miles round trip, you have money.
Not really. I am far from loaded and can easily afford a couple a year. Haven't gone much past 850 total mileage yet. However, none of these have involved plane fare. I got about 30 seconds into planning a trip to Tucson and pulled out for that very reason. Even had a free place to stay down there.

this is what Brent McMurphy of ESPN just tweeeted:
"Maryland prez tells regents MD, RU in Leaders Division w/OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue & Indiana. Illinois moves to Legends"
That makes the most sense from the least amount of shuffling
That's what I said on Saturday.
... and might I add ... HOORAY! I grew up 10 miles from the Mississippi, and Illinois is THE rival, and it was really grating on me that we weren't playing them!

With now 6 division games that leaves only 2 non division games each year. With 1 of them being a locked in game (Purdue/Iowa & Minnesota/Wisconsin), the Iowa/Wisconsin rivalry appears all but destroyed.

Iowa will not be locked with Purdue any more, because Purdue will be locked with Illinois! (yes, that is a real rivalry, with campuses like 200 miles apart)

Latest posts