Illinois St. is no cream puff

Couple things. Illinois State was a far better team than Ball State in 2014...Sagarin Ratings...

Couple of things.

1) Wrong. Pete Lembo's Ball State squad developed as the year went along. The QB was extremely green at the time of the Iowa game. A rematch later in the year may have very well produced a different outcome. Ball State would have crushed that FCS team that got annihilated 42-28 in Cedar Falls.

2) Sagarin is excrement.

Couple of things.

1) Wrong. Pete Lembo's Ball State squad developed as the year went along. The QB was extremely green at the time of the Iowa game. A rematch later in the year may have very well produced a different outcome. Ball State would have crushed that FCS team that got annihilated 42-28 in Cedar Falls.

2) Sagarin is excrement.

I always find it funny that people reference that game in Cedar Falls but they never mention how ILL ST crushed UNI in the FCS Playoffs later in the season 41-21. Maybe people just don't know that. Saying Ball State would have crushed ILL ST is also funny. They had the opportunity to come to Normal the first week of the season and prove it, but they bought the game out instead. Perhaps they were less confident then you Big Awesome.

I'll give Iowa a slight edge due to home field, but this is not going to be an easy game. I'd be surprised if Iowa wins by more than 10-14 points, and wouldn't be shocked to see a loss.

I'll give Iowa a slight edge due to home field, but this is not going to be an easy game. I'd be surprised if Iowa wins by more than 10-14 points, and wouldn't be shocked to see a loss.

I agree, I have Iowa winning by 7-10 but I also would be surprised if we bring it on Sept 5th and Iowa has a bit of a let down being the first game an all.

Ball State had 10 wins in 2013 so that win was nothing to sneeze at. Plus some terrible calls went against Iowa. Powell had the TD grab that was taken away. There were some obvious pass interferences missed. There was also a missed targeting call. Iowa still did what it took to win. Iowa's defence stuffed bsu most of the game. This year the defence is even better and will put Iowa in a great position to win by 3 scores.

Ball State had 10 wins in 2013 so that win was nothing to sneeze at. Plus some terrible calls went against Iowa. Powell had the TD grab that was taken away. There were some obvious pass interferences missed. There was also a missed targeting call. Iowa still did what it took to win. Iowa's defence stuffed bsu most of the game. This year the defence is even better and will put Iowa in a great position to win by 3 scores.
I've seen someone with HawkNick plates driving around Grimes. Is that you? Or do only proles live in Grimes?

I always find it funny that people reference that game in Cedar Falls but they never mention how ILL ST crushed UNI in the FCS Playoffs later in the season 41-21. Maybe people just don't know that. Saying Ball State would have crushed ILL ST is also funny. They had the opportunity to come to Normal the first week of the season and prove it, but they bought the game out instead. Perhaps they were less confident then you Big Awesome.

Well, I recall something of that dismantling of UNI by Illinois State. And it WAS a pounding. I'm sorry, but I truly do not see Iowa winning this game. With the BS offensive game plan that Ferentz and Davis bring to a game, Illinois State will not likely have to worry about many surprises. For the life of me, I just don't know how there can ever be any optimism when Iowa as the coaching staff that it does - a head coach who calls for a punt on Nebraska's 30-yard line and punts it into the end zone (2012), who calls for a 1-yard pass on 4th and 3 (also Nebraska, I believe) who kept trying to "establish" the run in the1st half of last year's Wisconsin game, ******* away potential big win slip away. I'm sorry, but it might be a good thing for the Iowa football program if ILST does beat Iowa IF it would hasten the departure of Ferentz and his cronies..

Doesn't anyone else find it sad that the general consensus here is that a game against an FCS team is a virtual tossup? That's how far Iowa football has fallen. Kirk has won; he's tamped down expectations to an embarrassingly low level which is right where he likes them.

I have Iowa winning 27-10. Not a blowout, but a comfortable win. In week 2 Iowa will win bigger.
I sure hope your right. This game is going to be my first trip to Kinnick, and it would be a long ride back to Tennessee if we loss. LOL. Go Hawks!

I have said for months that not only is Illinois State a tough opponent I believe they can win the game. Great QB and top running back. I will be happy with an Iowa win and sick with a loss as I believe that would spell disaster for the Hawks and they would struggle for a 6 win year.

As I've said before, I think Iowa will win this game, but I think it will come down to the last drive. These two teams are ridiculously similar in strengths and weaknesses, but I think the Iowa "green" offensive line will be a bit better than the IL ST "green" offensive line. I hope I'm wrong. I think Roberson and Coprich could change that if they have some space to work. Defensively I think both teams are very strong. Special team probably also tips in favor on Iowa on this one.

If Illinois State is to win (which they totally can) they will need a solid performance from the O Line, no mistakes from special teams and an outstanding effort from a very capable defensive unit. I think this game is decided by a field goal.

Teams like ILL State probably wont find themselves grossly out of position like so many teams we'll see in highlights during the first 3 weeks. While the talent level may not be that great compared to B1G, it may be comparable to Iowa's in many ways and many matchups might be pretty competitive. They'll execute pretty well. This is one where ground and pound might fare well. Bore them to death, pound on them and maybe we'll see some big plays down field.

Teams like ILL State probably wont find themselves grossly out of position like so many teams we'll see in highlights during the first 3 weeks. While the talent level may not be that great compared to B1G, it may be comparable to Iowa's in many ways and many matchups might be pretty competitive. They'll execute pretty well. This is one where ground and pound might fare well. Bore them to death, pound on them and maybe we'll see some big plays down field.

This is where I think IL State matches up well with B1G talent:

DE Perkins (Ohio St), DL Kenney (Indiana), DL Corwin (1st team FCS), LB Spearman (Iowa), LB Meehan (1st team FCS), DB Amoako (Oregon) S Newbold (Texas Tech), DB Winters (Wyoming), QB Roberson (Indiana), and RB Coprich (Payton Award Finalist/All American). I only mention the previous school for some because most were starters at their respective schools. Coach Spack has said this team as more talent and depth at LB and DB than any team he has ever had at IL State.

IL State's defense should make this game interesting.

Well, I recall something of that dismantling of UNI by Illinois State. And it WAS a pounding. I'm sorry, but I truly do not see Iowa winning this game. With the BS offensive game plan that Ferentz and Davis bring to a game, Illinois State will not likely have to worry about many surprises. For the life of me, I just don't know how there can ever be any optimism when Iowa as the coaching staff that it does - a head coach who calls for a punt on Nebraska's 30-yard line and punts it into the end zone (2012), who calls for a 1-yard pass on 4th and 3 (also Nebraska, I believe) who kept trying to "establish" the run in the1st half of last year's Wisconsin game, ******* away potential big win slip away. I'm sorry, but it might be a good thing for the Iowa football program if ILST does beat Iowa IF it would hasten the departure of Ferentz and his cronies..

What a pathetic excuse of a "fan" to want your team to lose.

Latest posts