Illinois St. is no cream puff

EstronHawkKing

They are pre-season #2 in the nation in the FCS. The Red Birds finished second in the nation last year. They have 11 starters back, four of them are pre-season All Americans. I am a tad worried about this game.

cream-puff.jpg

I have Iowa winning 27-10. Not a blowout, but a comfortable win. In week 2 Iowa will win bigger.

27-10 is not a comfortable win, Nick. 48-17 is. This game might be a win, but I wouldn't call it a comfortable win if it plays out to your score.

A lot of 17 point Iowa wins seem very comfortable with the defense controlling the game to the point where it is clear that the opponent won't score that many.

Not sure who is calling this game a "cream puff"? I have yet to hear Ill State referred to as this from any local or national radio or even from many fans. I've seen a lot of predictions Iowa either struggling in this game and even some losing this game. Neither will surprise me.

Akin to the Purdont and Illinois games last year. The defense was not going to let either of those get away.

Akin to the Purdont and Illinois games last year. The defense was not going to let either of those get away.

Roberson (ISU's QB) is a far better player than either of the QB's for Illinois or Purdue last year. He's an okay passer, but more importantly for Iowa, he can run. Nightmares about Iowa trying to chase guys around, based on the Minnesota, Nebraska and Tennessee games. I'd say ISU's skill positions are average to above average B1G caliber players. Where I'm hoping Iowa has an advantage is our d-line vs. their o-line. They are replacing 3-4 starters. If Iowa doesn't win that matchup, Illinois State will have a chance to win.

This will be a good test. Illinois State is likely better than the UNI team that came into IC last year.

They are pre-season #2 in the nation in the FCS. The Red Birds finished second in the nation last year. They have 11 starters back, four of them are pre-season All Americans. I am a tad worried about this game.

No sheet sherlock, big time running QB which is always Iowa's achilles heel. He may not be a great passer so you have to stop their run game first. King and Mabin may have to play man most of the game and let the other 9 defenders face the qb and running backs.

The hawks could easity lose this game based on how slow Davis's offense is clicking right now. Hope that CJB makes enough big plays.

27-10 is not a comfortable win, Nick. 48-17 is. This game might be a win, but I wouldn't call it a comfortable win if it plays out to your score.

I'll agree that a 17 point lead hasn't been a comfortable lead for a number of years, even in the 4th quarter. But a 17 point win is pretty comfortable.

With the exception of maybe North Texas I expect all the non-con games to be close. Even that game will probably have some drama. At this point don't we have good idea how these games will play out.

Bottom line is the season comes down to winning these first 2 games. You open 0-2 and it's starring down the barrel of a 4 win season. That makes the opener paramount.

That's why many of us are sweating things like open scrimmages when the offense has yet to score a TD and it looks like blocking is suspect in both pass pro & the running game.

The only hope is the defense is truly lights out. We do not have this typical 'we will be better in 4-5 weeks into the season' stuff. The time is now to put up or shut up. Get your best players and play makers onto the field regardless.

Bottom line is the season comes down to winning these first 2 games. You open 0-2 and it's starring down the barrel of a 4 win season. That makes the opener paramount.

That's why many of us are sweating things like open scrimmages when the offense has yet to score a TD and it looks like blocking is suspect in both pass pro & the running game.

The only hope is the defense is truly lights out. We do not have this typical 'we will be better in 4-5 weeks into the season' stuff. The time is now to put up or shut up. Get your best players and play makers onto the field regardless.

Kinda hanging my hat on that. At best going into the season the offense will be a work in progress. Given the opponents to start the season I am hoping they can get away with it.