Illinisucks against Iowa Hawkeyes Game Thread

Iowa will also be in the tournament for 3 years in a row for the first time since 1991-1993. These players have done a lot to turn this program around.

I will honestly not miss Gesell one bit. He has been absolutely brutal late in games. He was lucky to get a jump ball called after he turned it over at the end, and then he throws a terrible in-bounds pass. Not to mention the awful shot he took at the end of the first half. I absolutely believe we will be better off with Williams.

And even if Uhl does catch that stupid in bounds pass. What in hell was he going to do with it with 3 seconds left and 40 feet from the basket?

Even though Iowa got robbed, I think they take the momentum from the late comeback, get a 5 seed and make a deep ncaa tournament run. This team played hard at the end.

What are you smoking? This team will lose in the first round if they play like they have for the past four weeks!

If the team plays like they did against Michigan with Peter Jok playing the way he did today they can go a long ways.

WB and Gesell are getting paid damn good tax money to play ball. For $100,000+ they can take criticism.

Criticism is one thing, Woody shot the ball like **** and Gesell made some horrible reads....now THAT is criticism. What I am reading on here is a little over the top.

BTW, you are not paying for their scholarships as they are not funded by tax dollars. But even if it was it still does not give you the right to trash on them.

Don't give me the crap about how they're just kids. Those two (and the rest of them) are adults there to do one thing and that's play basketball.

Where did I call them kids?

I worry that this may be the end of Iowa basketball under Fran. I mean there are 4 starters that are seniors and one who is a Junior and this is what we get? Another epic meltdown? I honestly don't know why anyone would want to come play for him when 2 out of the last three years have been collapses when it matters most. I think next year is a rebuilding year, but I'm not sure he ever comes all the way back to the mediocrity of 7 seeds and play in games that we are all so proud of again. At least he's better than the coach before.

P.S. this is why I shouldn't post when I'm so disappointed.

Rebuilding year? Rebuilding from what? 10-1 start doesn't mean s*** right now...this year was a failure!!!
Well rebuilding to what is apparently the peak of Iowa basketball since Tom Davis, 7 to 10 seeds and the round of 32!!

If I were Fran, I'd start worrying that Peter Jok might declare for the NBA draft. Why would he want to come back to a sub-.500 season and four months of double-teams? He's probably at the peak of his draft status right now. I'd put the odds at 25% or so, but it makes a lot of sense...

WB and Gesell are getting paid damn good tax money to play ball. For $100,000+ they can take criticism.

Don't give me the crap about how they're just kids. Those two (and the rest of them) are adults there to do one thing and that's play basketball.

If you're going to play D1 ball then psychotic fans come with the territory. Better get used to it.

Lol, your seriously gonna go with the tax dollar argument. Don't let the fact that taxes don't pay for scholarships deter you though. :cool:

They are just kids, and I completely understand the frustration with them. But they earned their scholarships.

Gesell was an academic All American...I'd say he also came here to get an education.

Be critical, they deserve that, but come on.

Last edited:
You just can't stand positively and confidence. I don't understand why so many people hate the Hawkeyes. Btw Iowa is in position to get or at least tie their best NCAA Tournament seeding in 10 years! I like what this team has accomplished this year and still can.

You are confusing positivity and confidence with absurdity and ignorance.

You're one of those people who would pick up a rattlesnake and dance around with it, because if you just believe in jeebus it won't bite you.

That whole, logic and realism be damned thing, huh?

If I were Fran, I'd start worrying that Peter Jok might declare for the NBA draft. Why would he want to come back to a sub-.500 season and four months of double-teams? He's probably at the peak of his draft status right now. I'd put the odds at 25% or so, but it makes a lot of sense...
He should at least put out some feelers.

Purdue is playing very tough defense on Illinois' shooters. They can't score. Game is pretty much over at halftime. Who knew guarding shooters was a winning strategy?

yeah its frustrating watching this purdue/illinois game because illinois is not good at all...they just hit their wide open 3s against Iowa like they're supposed to. I didnt realize it was that hard to guard 3 point shooters.

I think jok comes back to Iowa next year. He has drastically improved his game every single season, I think next season should be no different. Jok is already taking the ball to the hole a lot more this year than he ever has. Right now Fran has him coming off screens constantly...but next year he might find himself in a Devyn Marble role where he's bringing the ball up the court.

Purdue is playing very tough defense on Illinois' shooters. They can't score. Game is pretty much over at halftime. Who knew guarding shooters was a winning strategy?

Defense? WTH is that? Oh, right, 5 minute press, wide open 15 minutes per half.

Still cant believe I have to wash dishes a week straight.....never bet with the wife............

Latest posts