Illini hire Toledo coach

Boy, that has to set the Illini board on fire. I may have to make a bowl of popcorn & hop on over there & enjoy the meltdown.

Former MAC coaches have done well. Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke, Hoeppner (sp?) had Indiana going in the right direction before he passed away.

Beckman is a very good hire. He's young and a very good recruiter. There was talk of him being on the OSU coaching list if Urban didn't cone on-board.

Beckman was the defensive coordinator at Okie State and Bowling Green (under Urban Meyer). I believe he was also an assistant at Ohio State at some point. He's a good coach. Don't know if he'll be able to recruit like Zook, but I guarantee he won't coach like him. I think Illini fans should be happy about that.

Former MAC coaches have done well. Urban Meyer, Brady Hoke, Hoeppner (sp?) had Indiana going in the right direction before he passed away.

Yea, but comparing Meyer & Hoke in this situation is vastly different sec to the schools they went to. The Hoeppner comparison is the closest as more closely mimics Illannoy than Florida or ND. It's much tougher to recruit to Illannoy & that will be this guys biggest challenge. His success will all stem on his recruiting.

I listened to an interview of the Toledo play by play guy today on Beckman.
He said Beckman is a good motivator and recruiter,and a solid coach. But,he was a bit surprised that he made this leap this quickly. Toledo players are in shock and angry that he sold them on bleeding blue/gold,then jumped.
He was 21-16 in three years at Toledo...as this guy said,not exactly setting the world on fire in the MAC,but solid. Clearly,the Illini were rejected by Sumlin and a couple of other candidates before turning to Beckman. This is why I do not want Iowa to have a revolving door with the BB head coaching job....Fran is the man for the long haul. Once the turnstyle starts turning in the coach's office, it is hard to stop.

You think other schools laughed at Iowa when they hired Ferentz/Maine's old coach?

Looks like a decent hire to me.

Frankly, most fans can't judge how these things are going to turn out. This year's hot commodity (Turner Gill? Keno Davis? Muschamp?) usually doesn't do all that hot, and a lot of unknowns (KFz?) are successful.

Give it a few years and we'll see what happens.

Francis X. Lautebaur was the Toledo coach that Iowa hired in the 70's. He stunk out loud...hope the same for the illini

You think other schools laughed at Iowa when they hired Ferentz/Maine's old coach?

Yep for sure they did. No clue if this will work for Illinois but the couple of times I had watched Toledo the last 2 years they impressed me a bit. The concern I would have if I were an Illinois fan is Beckman is suppose to be a "defensive guy" and Toledo's defense was not very good at all this year. Their offense was very good though.

Latest posts