I'll say it...next coach please

Happy for the players and kudos to them for fighting hard in the 2nd half.

However, lets be real and put this into perspective, the coaches/players are going to offer quotes as if they have this thing figured out and can right the ship and that's not the case at all. Coaching did us no favors last night and we had to come back from being behind 20 points in the first half after giving up 54 points in the first half alone to the only other winless team in the BIG.

However, lets be real and put this into perspective, the coaches/players are going to offer quotes as if they have this thing figured out and can right the ship and that's not the case at all. Coaching did us no favors last night and we had to come back from being behind 20 points in the first half after giving up 54 points in the first half alone to the only other winless team in the BIG.

Absolutely, ya gotta have perspective. There was a lot of bad basketball last night and it's not like Iowa magically turned a corner and everything is fixed now. It's not, but it can't be argued that winning on the road in a building Iowa doesn't win at very often in good or bad years is at least a step in the right direction. It's a great learning tool of what it takes, how hard you have to play and compete for the team that hasn't had a lot of positive things in it's life the last couple of weeks or season.

Playing with toughness=HEART. That is what we "the players" can deliver.Anything else? Yes fran and staff work and talk with PLAYERS more? Good start.

Jordan Bohannon: 29 points, 5 assists, 5-12 from 3 point range, 10-10 from the free throw line.

Teams make room for a scorer like that.

4 turnovers...furthering my point that he's not a PG

Don't forget his defensive rating of 129 last night. I'll ask again, what NCAA team does Bohannon start on? He's a shooter off the bench that you hide on defense for a good team.

Don't forget his defensive rating of 129 last night. I'll ask again, what NCAA team does Bohannon start on? He's a shooter off the bench that you hide on defense for a good team.

Well, I am not sure if Illinois qualifies as an NCAA team, but let's start with Trent Frazier. He had an offensive rating of 118 and defensive rating of 133 last night. Bohannon was 148/129. Jbo was better at both in the same game.

Or, Mark Alistork (who fouled out while guarding JBo for a lot of last night). He was 72/134 last night. :)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-01-11-20-illinois.html

We have overcome the humiliation of the Lick Years

There were occasional high points under Lick's reign, most especially, humiliating the Spartans at Carver. An all-time highlight for Hawkeye basketball, but other than LittleLick's layup against the Boilermakers, that might be all

NoBody wanted to play for the Hawks. Absolutely NOBODY. That is why Josh Oglesby's commitment was so important. He was a top 150 recruit, and probably the only ranked prospect in America who would be willing to play for Iowa at the time. It was a bottom of the barrel destination for any prospect

Fran took us from the absolute bottom to being ranked Number One in KenPom. Might be the last time that will happen. This is not to be overlooked. That was a rather worthy accomplishment

We have finished in the upper half of the Big under Fran's rule much more than expected

We have played in the Dance and the NIT under Fran's rule, long before anyone thought possible.....

He is finally getting the recruits he wants to play his style, capable players to implement his schemes. Has not been easy to get the players needed to advance. Somewhat slow progression, but it is very close. Now the need for a capable point guard just might be coming with DJ Carton, however, we need a solid point guard right now. A competent JC guard or transfer is needed drastically.Also, we do need a Beast under the basket. Someone who creates fear in the paint. This is essential. A large body, with skill, to intimidate the opponents

Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then

Believe it or not. hard for me, the eternal Homeboy to realize this, but it is coming. Fran deserves the criticism concerning acquiring a competent point guard. He has come close, but no cigar, other than Mike Gessel, who was certainly competent, but not perfect Obviously, that is the glaring problem. DJ seems to be the answer. Hard to fathom the fact that every team, no matter the division, has a point guard that would immediately help the Hawks. However, it is what it is; I would think DJ is coming. His relationship with Patrick and Joe Wiescamp should seal the deal. Better not lose this one.....

Ever the eternal optimist, I do believe that we are extremely close to the team we all want, Still a couple of years away, but within reach

Tonight's win at Illinois just might be the turning point we have been rather anxiously awaiting.We shall see. The improvement appears to be solid, incrementally, but it is there. We are laying the groundwork, brick by painful brick, but it is happening

We should not, still, be expecting anything other than another rebuilding year this season, laying the foundation for a serious run down the road

I must admit that last seasons team was one of my favorite Hawkeye basketball teams The development, establishing identity and chemistry was rewarding to see. Most fans thought we had a lock for last place in the Big regular season, including myself

Couple of years from now we shall be a force that will command fear and respect from all pretenders

Or else

I am comfortable with Fran right now. Considering the fact that last season we had one senior and one junior with actual game experience, and came within one outrageous call at Williams Arena from making the Dance.We are on the way to becoming a threat to the powers that be in the Big, and the Bluebloods better believe that the tide is turning

Heads will roll and the blood will flow

Wait and Watch

Merely the feverish ramblings from the mind of an addled Hawkeye fanatic

Rant over

:cool:

Chock-full of classic quotes.

So, do you have Washington (13-4, 3-1 in conference) as a NCAA Tournament team? If so, Bohannon 119.9/111.2 (offensive/defensive ratings) and 16.2 PER in 30.1 minutes seems better than David Crisp (100.2/107.6) and 11.8 PER in 34.4 minutes. Will that work? :)

So, do you have Washington (13-4, 3-1 in conference) as a NCAA Tournament team? If so, Bohannon 119.9/111.2 (offensive/defensive ratings) and 16.2 PER in 30.1 minutes seems better than David Crisp (100.2/107.6) and 11.8 PER in 34.4 minutes. Will that work? :)

Washington isn't even a top 100 team in KenPom so no they are not going to be an NCAA Tournament team barring something crazy happening.

Washington isn't even a top 100 team in KenPom so no they are not going to be an NCAA Tournament team barring something crazy happening.

KenPom is what the NCAA uses? Washington won at Kansas who was #2 at the time. :) Do you want to list your field of 68 teams so research can be done?

KenPom is what the NCAA uses? Washington won at Kansas who was #2 at the time. :) Do you want to list your field of 68 teams so research can be done?
Washington won't make the NCAA tourney. They beat Kansas (I don't know how) but they've pretty much lost to every other good team on their schedule by 20+ points. The PAC 12 is down this year and they have the toughest part of their schedule left to go.

As far as I observe

There are valid criticisms pertaining to Fran

Especially TimeOuts. Call them when the opponents start to turn the momentum. This is my number one criticism
Wholesale lineup changes automatically, especially when things are going well is questionable

The control Fran commands should not trump the wisdom of fouling someone with a few seconds on the clock, while nursing a 3 point lead. This should be automatic

The team seems to be, absolutely, too aware of incurring Fran's wrath throughout the game

ESPECIALLY TIMEOUTS

All that said

We have overcome the humiliation of the Lick Years

There were occasional high points under Lick's reign, most especially, humiliating the Spartans at Carver. An all-time highlight for Hawkeye basketball, but other than LittleLick's layup against the Boilermakers, that might be all

NoBody wanted to play for the Hawks. Absolutely NOBODY. That is why Josh Oglesby's commitment was so important. He was a top 150 recruit, and probably the only ranked prospect in America who would be willing to play for Iowa at the time. It was a bottom of the barrel destination for any prospect

Fran took us from the absolute bottom to being ranked Number One in KenPom. Might be the last time that will happen. This is not to be overlooked. That was a rather worthy accomplishment

We have finished in the upper half of the Big under Fran's rule much more than expected

We have played in the Dance and the NIT under Fran's rule, long before anyone thought possible.....

He is finally getting the recruits he wants to play his style, capable players to implement his schemes. Has not been easy to get the players needed to advance. Somewhat slow progression, but it is very close. Now the need for a capable point guard just might be coming with DJ Carton, however, we need a solid point guard right now. A competent JC guard or transfer is needed drastically.Also, we do need a Beast under the basket. Someone who creates fear in the paint. This is essential. A large body, with skill, to intimidate the opponents

Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then

Believe it or not. hard for me, the eternal Homeboy to realize this, but it is coming. Fran deserves the criticism concerning acquiring a competent point guard. He has come close, but no cigar, other than Mike Gessel, who was certainly competent, but not perfect Obviously, that is the glaring problem. DJ seems to be the answer. Hard to fathom the fact that every team, no matter the division, has a point guard that would immediately help the Hawks. However, it is what it is; I would think DJ is coming. His relationship with Patrick and Joe Wiescamp should seal the deal. Better not lose this one.....

Ever the eternal optimist, I do believe that we are extremely close to the team we all want, Still a couple of years away, but within reach

Tonight's win at Illinois just might be the turning point we have been rather anxiously awaiting.We shall see. The improvement appears to be solid, incrementally, but it is there. We are laying the groundwork, brick by painful brick, but it is happening

We should not, still, be expecting anything other than another rebuilding year this season, laying the foundation for a serious run down the road

I must admit that last seasons team was one of my favorite Hawkeye basketball teams The development, establishing identity and chemistry was rewarding to see. Most fans thought we had a lock for last place in the Big regular season, including myself

Couple of years from now we shall be a force that will command fear and respect from all pretenders

Or else

I am comfortable with Fran right now. Considering the fact that last season we had one senior and one junior with actual game experience, and came within one outrageous call at Williams Arena from making the Dance.We are on the way to becoming a threat to the powers that be in the Big, and the Bluebloods better believe that the tide is turning

Heads will roll and the blood will flow

Wait and Watch

Merely the feverish ramblings from the mind of an addled Hawkeye fanatic

Rant over

:cool:

Solid Jack. Solid.

Latest posts