I'll say it...next coach please

This just isn't true. Cook is the only player on our roster that would start for most good college basketball teams and he's probably the only player in the top 25 in the conference.

So Iowa had the 6th man of the year last year and 2 all big ten freshman but they don't have any talent?

Iowa had 1 senior and 5 freshman last year and missed the NCAA tournament by 1 game and didn't have any talent?

ok

Last edited:
All of those coaches got fired or ran away before they could get fired. I'm not sure pointing out the failures of fired coaches is a good argument to make for keeping another coach with the same failures.

Wasn't my point. The point was that expecting to make the NCAA tournament every single year at Iowa just isn't realistic according to 100 years of history. Its pretty foolish to freak out and demand a new coach every time Iowa misses the postseason

Your scenario paints a picture he could be gone 2 years from now. What's your definition of soon?
I was making the point that we have talent on the way that we don't want to lose. So even those that think Fran needs to go will likely be waiting 2 years minimum.

I think Fran is here to stay for a few years. Because I think this year is a bump in the road. We have a senior that doesn't see the floor. We have Baer and 2 role players in the junior class. The sophomore class is loaded with talent and potential. The 2 freshman big men are learning that college ball is different than high school ball. I suspect they will be much improved next year. I am optimistic the next 2 years will be much different than this year.

As I said in another post. Ohio State was 7-11 in the conference last year and are 4-0 this year. Their 3 leading scorers are 2 juniors and a senior. Their 4th leading scorer is a sophomore. One year can make a ton of difference.

So Iowa had the 6th man of the year last year and 2 all big ten freshman but they don't have any talent?

Iowa had 1 senior and 5 freshman last year and missed the NCAA tournament by 1 game and didn't have any talent?

ok

Who on this team would start for an NCAA team besides Cook? Jok covered up a lot of our problems last year and opened up the offense to other players.

Wasn't my point. The point was that expecting to make the NCAA tournament every single year at Iowa just isn't realistic according to 100 years of history. Its pretty foolish to freak out and demand a new coach every time Iowa misses the postseason
It isn't realistic if you settle for coaches that can't accomplish that. 20 years ago you and everyone else would have laughed in anyone's face that said Wisconsin could win BIG titles and make Final Fours. They'd point to the fact that from 1946 to 2000, Wisconsin had not won a BIG title! They'd say "competing for conference titles isn't something we can do at Wisconsin!" and they'd laugh while they said it. Barry Alvarez wasn't hearing it and neither am I!!!!

It isn't realistic if you settle for coaches that can't accomplish that. 20 years ago you and everyone else would have laughed in anyone's face that said Wisconsin could win BIG titles and make Final Fours. They'd point to the fact that from 1946 to 2000, Wisconsin had not won a BIG title! They'd say "competing for conference titles isn't something we can do at Wisconsin!" and they'd laugh while they said it. Barry Alvarez wasn't hearing it and neither am I!!!!

First of all, Barry Alvarez didn't hire Bo Ryan, so I don't really get your point there

Barry Alvarez did hire Greg Gard and in year 2 of Greg Gard they're probably going to miss the NCAA tournament for the first time in 20 years. Should Barry Alvarez immediately fire Greg Gard? Or should Barry Alvarez realize that Wisconsin just lost 4 starters from last year and a down year was likely?

Who on this team would start for an NCAA team besides Cook? Jok covered up a lot of our problems last year and opened up the offense to other players.

Do you really think Jordan Bohannon wouldn't start at shooting guard for any other college basketball team? He shoots 6 three pointers per game at a 44% clip. The only other comparable 3-point shooters to Bohannon in the Big Ten right now are Dakota Mathias from Purdue, Kevin Huerter from Maryland, and Nate Mason at Minnesota. So, yeah...Jordan Bohannon is a top 5 three point shooter in the big ten...according the numbers. I get that in your head you have "alternative facts" that you believe to be true though.

Bohannon's problem at Iowa is he's being forced to play point guard, and he's not very good at it. He wouldn't play PG at other schools

You can throw out bullshit and hyperbole all you want, but the numbers say otherwise.

Do you really think Jordan Bohannon wouldn't start at shooting guard for any other college basketball team? He shoots 6 three pointers per game at a 44% clip. The only other comparable 3-point shooters to Bohannon in the Big Ten right now are Dakota Mathias from Purdue, Kevin Huerter from Maryland, and Nate Mason at Minnesota. So, yeah...Jordan Bohannon is a top 5 three point shooter in the big ten...according the numbers. I get that in your head you have "alternative facts" that you believe to be true though.

Bohannon's problem at Iowa is he's being forced to play point guard, and he's not very good at it. He wouldn't play PG at other schools

You can throw out bullshit and hyperbole all you want, but the numbers say otherwise.

I don't think Jordan would start for a coach that values defense and those are the coaches that are usually consistently in the Tournament. It doesn't matter what position he's forced to play at Iowa his main problem is what player he is forced to try to defend.

First of all, Barry Alvarez didn't hire Bo Ryan, so I don't really get your point there

Barry Alvarez did hire Greg Gard and in year 2 of Greg Gard they're probably going to miss the NCAA tournament for the first time in 20 years. Should Barry Alvarez immediately fire Greg Gard? Or should Barry Alvarez realize that Wisconsin just lost 4 starters from last year and a down year was likely?
I stand corrected PAT RICHTER wasn't hearing it!

Any or some???? Any??????

it's time. Fran can't assemble a balance team...and it's become increasingly apparent he can't coach one either.

I don't think Jordan would start for a coach that values defense and those are the coaches that are usually consistently in the Tournament. It doesn't matter what position he's forced to play at Iowa his main problem is what player he is forced to try to defend.

Jordan Bohannon: 29 points, 5 assists, 5-12 from 3 point range, 10-10 from the free throw line.

Teams make room for a scorer like that.

4 turnovers...furthering my point that he's not a PG

Thumbs up.

As far as I observe

There are valid criticisms pertaining to Fran

Especially TimeOuts. Call them when the opponents start to turn the momentum. This is my number one criticism
Wholesale lineup changes automatically, especially when things are going well is questionable

The control Fran commands should not trump the wisdom of fouling someone with a few seconds on the clock, while nursing a 3 point lead. This should be automatic

The team seems to be, absolutely, too aware of incurring Fran's wrath throughout the game

ESPECIALLY TIMEOUTS

All that said

We have overcome the humiliation of the Lick Years

There were occasional high points under Lick's reign, most especially, humiliating the Spartans at Carver. An all-time highlight for Hawkeye basketball, but other than LittleLick's layup against the Boilermakers, that might be all

NoBody wanted to play for the Hawks. Absolutely NOBODY. That is why Josh Oglesby's commitment was so important. He was a top 150 recruit, and probably the only ranked prospect in America who would be willing to play for Iowa at the time. It was a bottom of the barrel destination for any prospect

Fran took us from the absolute bottom to being ranked Number One in KenPom. Might be the last time that will happen. This is not to be overlooked. That was a rather worthy accomplishment

We have finished in the upper half of the Big under Fran's rule much more than expected

We have played in the Dance and the NIT under Fran's rule, long before anyone thought possible.....

He is finally getting the recruits he wants to play his style, capable players to implement his schemes. Has not been easy to get the players needed to advance. Somewhat slow progression, but it is very close. Now the need for a capable point guard just might be coming with DJ Carton, however, we need a solid point guard right now. A competent JC guard or transfer is needed drastically. Also, we do need a Beast under the basket. Someone who creates fear in the paint. This is essential. A large body, with skill, to intimidate the opponents

Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then

Believe it or not, hard for me, the eternal Homeboy to realize this, but it is coming. Fran deserves the criticism concerning acquiring a competent point guard. He has come close, but no cigar, other than Mike Gessel, who was certainly competent, but not perfect. Obviously, that is the glaring problem. DJ seems to be the answer. Hard to fathom the fact that every team, no matter the division, has a point guard that would immediately help the Hawks. However, it is what it is; I would think DJ is coming. His relationship with Patrick and Joe Wieskamp should seal the deal. Better not lose this one.....

Ever the eternal optimist, I do believe that we are extremely close to the team we all want, Still a couple of years away, but within reach

Tonight's win at Illinois just might be the turning point we have been rather anxiously awaiting. We shall see. The improvement appears to be solid, incrementally, but it is there. We are laying the groundwork, brick by painful brick, but it is happening

We should not, still, be expecting anything other than another rebuilding year this season, laying the foundation for a serious run down the road

I must admit that last seasons team was one of my favorite Hawkeye basketball teams The development, establishing identity and chemistry was rewarding to see. Most fans thought we had a lock for last place in the Big regular season, including myself

Couple of years from now we shall be a force that will command fear and respect from all pretenders

Or else

I am comfortable with Fran right now. Considering the fact that last season we had one senior and one junior with actual game experience, and came within one outrageous call at Williams Arena from making the Dance.We are on the way to becoming a threat to the powers that be in the Big, and the Bluebloods better believe that the tide is turning

Heads will roll and the blood will flow

Wait and Watch

Merely the feverish ramblings from the mind of an addled Hawkeye fanatic

Rant over

:cool:

Last edited:
As far as I observe

There are valid criticisms pertaining to Fran

Especially TimeOuts. Call them when the opponents start to turn the momentum. This is my number one criticism
Wholesale lineup changes automatically, especially when things are going well is questionable

The control Fran commands should not trump the wisdom of fouling someone with a few seconds on the clock, while nursing a 3 point lead. This should be automatic

The team seems to be, absolutely, too aware of incurring Fran's wrath throughout the game

ESPECIALLY TIMEOUTS

All that said

We have overcome the humiliation of the Lick Years

There were occasional high points under Lick's reign, most especially, humiliating the Spartans at Carver. An all-time highlight for Hawkeye basketball, but other than LittleLick's layup against the Boilermakers, that might be all

NoBody wanted to play for the Hawks. Absolutely NOBODY. That is why Josh Oglesby's commitment was so important. He was a top 150 recruit, and probably the only ranked prospect in America who would be willing to play for Iowa at the time. It was a bottom of the barrel destination for any prospect

Fran took us from the absolute bottom to being ranked Number One in KenPom. Might be the last time that will happen. This is not to be overlooked. That was a rather worthy accomplishment

We have finished in the upper half of the Big under Fran's rule much more than expected

We have played in the Dance and the NIT under Fran's rule, long before anyone thought possible.....

He is finally getting the recruits he wants to play his style, capable players to implement his schemes. Has not been easy to get the players needed to advance. Somewhat slow progression, but it is very close. Now the need for a capable point guard just might be coming with DJ Carton, however, we need a solid point guard right now. A competent JC guard or transfer is needed drastically.Also, we do need a Beast under the basket. Someone who creates fear in the paint. This is essential. A large body, with skill, to intimidate the opponents

Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then

Believe it or not. hard for me, the eternal Homeboy to realize this, but it is coming. Fran deserves the criticism concerning acquiring a competent point guard. He has come close, but no cigar, other than Mike Gessel, who was certainly competent, but not perfect Obviously, that is the glaring problem. DJ seems to be the answer. Hard to fathom the fact that every team, no matter the division, has a point guard that would immediately help the Hawks. However, it is what it is; I would think DJ is coming. His relationship with Patrick and Joe Wiescamp should seal the deal. Better not lose this one.....

Ever the eternal optimist, I do believe that we are extremely close to the team we all want, Still a couple of years away, but within reach

Tonight's win at Illinois just might be the turning point we have been rather anxiously awaiting.We shall see. The improvement appears to be solid, incrementally, but it is there. We are laying the groundwork, brick by painful brick, but it is happening

We should not, still, be expecting anything other than another rebuilding year this season, laying the foundation for a serious run down the road

I must admit that last seasons team was one of my favorite Hawkeye basketball teams The development, establishing identity and chemistry was rewarding to see. Most fans thought we had a lock for last place in the Big regular season, including myself

Couple of years from now we shall be a force that will command fear and respect from all pretenders

Or else

I am comfortable with Fran right now. Considering the fact that last season we had one senior and one junior with actual game experience, and came within one outrageous call at Williams Arena from making the Dance.We are on the way to becoming a threat to the powers that be in the Big, and the Bluebloods better believe that the tide is turning

Heads will roll and the blood will flow

Wait and Watch

Merely the feverish ramblings from the mind of an addled Hawkeye fanatic

Rant over

“Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then”

We had to take the worst team in our conference to overtime to win. Final four? Maybe the final four in the bottom of our conference. I was happy with the way our team fought back to win the game last night but we have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before we are ready to compete for a big ten title let alone a FINAL FOUR team. This could be an important step to getting us to a point we want to be at but we have to make significant improvements.

I liked your post except for the final four part. Only the top two teams in our conference will be considered possible final four teams and most years that’s very iffy.

Last edited:
There are 13 other big ten teams. Name 13 better big ten shooting guards than Bohannon. Show your work
I will get you the names. It will be based on how good they are at creating offense for their teammates , if they are strong rebounders and if they are good defenders .if they shoot a good percentage and if they are strong scorers. Give me some time I also need to research each team second and third strings .

“Patience is essential for true Hawkeye fans. Fran is getting very close to a team that will be in the mix for the Final Four. As impossible as that might appear, it is a definite possibility, The first possible since Mr. Davis's first year, especially since playing for the National Championship against Bill Russel's Dons, way back then”

We had to take the worst team in our conference to overtime to win. Final four? Maybe the final four in the bottom of our conference. I was happy with the way our team fought back to win the game last night but we have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before we are ready to compete for a big ten title let alone a FINAL FOUR team. This could be an important step to getting us to a point we want to be at but we have to make significant improvements.

I liked your post except for the final four part. Only the top two teams in our conference will be considered possible final four teams and most years that’s very iffy.

Yeah, BigD, that was a stretch.....

We don't know yet if Alvarez settles for mediocrity because every coach he has hired has been good. Before Ryan, was Wisconsin firing coach after coach, demanding better results? Or was it time for a coaching change and they found lightning in the bottle? It's so funny how Wisconsin stumbled upon a hall of fame coach and suddenly they are good because they "wouldn't settle for mediocrity".

Latest posts