If you were not around in 1984

I don't remember that game specifically but yeah this was a really satisfying win. Kinda goes up there with stomping Michigan in the big house in '02 and beating Florida by 20 in the 1/1/04 outback bowl. And then clobbering Washington in the sun bowl in 95.

This win may be even sweeter.

Hayden Fry indicated after the game that, “This definitely was the biggest win of my career. Being from Texas, you don’t get the chance to beat the U of T very often. I have never had a victory more meaningful to me.”

Akers thought his pass rush could get to Long so he kept his two DB's on an island all night.

Fry and Snyder were poised for the kill after halftime. Akers never adjusted. It was one of the best quarters of football Iowa ever played against a quality team, right up there with the 35 point first-quarter drubbing of Illinois the following season.

I remember listening to Sound Off on the radio and hearing numerous Texas fans calling in and crying like babies on how Hayden didn't let up. One of my favorite Hayden moments.

Iowa was excellent and overlooked in bowl season that year. Texas was nothing much to speak of. The end result was total destruction by and angry, dissed Iowa team with a Texas-sized chip on it's shoulder. That was a really solid Hawkeye team.

Iowa was excellent and overlooked in bowl season that year. Texas was nothing much to speak of. The end result was total destruction by and angry, dissed Iowa team with a Texas-sized chip on it's shoulder. That was a really solid Hawkeye team.

I completely disagree about “Texas was nothing to speak of”. They started the year #4 in the country, beat #11 Auburn with Bo Jackson, destroyed #2 Penn State in the 2nd game and tied #3 Oklahoma. That might be the most crazy difficult non con schedule ever. They wore down at the end of the year, but spent 3 weeks at #1 in the country. That team was damn good!

Latest posts