If you have any doubts…

familydc

About coach Ferentz, I would urge you to view Jamari Harris post game interview from yesterday. I certainly have been critical at times but now as a man with a son my perspective is changing. Call it getting old or whatever you want. I can only hope he has a coach someday to learn and play for like Ferentz.

About coach Ferentz, I would urge you to view Jamari Harris post game interview from yesterday. I certainly have been critical at times but now as a man with a son my perspective is changing. Call it getting old or whatever you want. I can only hope he has a coach someday to learn and play for like Ferentz.
Babineaux was on pre-game radio show and said he owed Kirk everything about being a man and preparing him to be a pro.

Nobody ever said he’s not a good guy, he just doesn’t understand modern offense and get crushed every time he plays elite teams.

Nobody ever said he’s not a good guy, he just doesn’t understand modern offense and get crushed every time he plays elite teams.
1) Who's your suggested replacement that would (realistically) come here?

2) What's your shtf plan for the musical coaches game that would happen if your candidate was worse, or didn't work out, or got poached by a billion dollar blue blood after having success here, especially now that there are only going to be two super conferences in a couple years with teams putting 10 figures into their football programs down south?

I am admittedly not the world's biggest KF fan. I've proven that on my time on this board. But you people wanting KF to be fired either don't see the forest for the trees or you just don't understand how P4 football programs work. Coaching changes are fine if you have nothing to lose. There's no downside. But it's an exponentially higher chance that whoever they hire ends up a burnt turd that's way more likely to turn the program into something that would make the current one look like the 2000s Patriots. And then what do you do? You think once that happens that Iowa is going to be a nice appealing below zero place in a bunch of corn fields that the next Kirby Smart wants to come coach football against the Big Ten and soon-to-be SEC? But yep, let's fire KF...

Pretty sure there's a great little case study in what's going to happen taking place right now an hour west of Council Bluffs.

Back to a little sliver of seriousness, though...what are your answers to the two questions I had above?

1) Who's your suggested replacement that would (realistically) come here?

2) What's your shtf plan for the musical coaches game that would happen if your candidate was worse, or didn't work out, or got poached by a billion dollar blue blood after having success here, especially now that there are only going to be two super conferences in a couple years with teams putting 10 figures into their football programs down south?
Iowa will have to eventually answer question one. I'm pretty sure fans on this forum are not qualified to answer it. Question two is based on a hypothetical situation that may or may not happen. It isn't just the folks in Lincoln that have struggled to replace a long time coach. Texas went through a couple of coaches before landing on Sarkisian.

What the future holds for college football may not include the University of Iowa and several Big Ten teams. When Ohio State found $21M for transfers to compete for a national championship one must wonder if this is an activity where Iowa can participate. Hiring the next coach may not be an issue if it is unrealistic to participate.

What the future holds for college football may not include the University of Iowa and several Big Ten teams. When Ohio State found $21M for transfers to compete for a national championship one must wonder if this is an activity where Iowa can participate. Hiring the next coach may not be an issue if it is unrealistic to participate.
It will include Iowa. Yes, we are not OSU, but few are. OSU and Bama and Texas and Oregon need someone to play. The reality is that we need to get dark money out, and pay these players through the massive TV revenue that is garnered and do so with some level of equality between the schools that are in this brave new world. If you think about it 21 million aint shit compared to the TV money each school is getting. That number should be doubled and capped so that each team is on a somewhat level playing field.

Iowa is not a blue blood, but its serious and entrenched enough in one of the two conferences that matter that it will get a seat at the table when the NCAA is left behind. 100% confident of that.

Question two is based on a hypothetical situation that may or may not happen. It isn't just the folks in Lincoln that have struggled to replace a long time coach.
Question 2...if you look at college football teams as a whole they end up with a nebraska-type scenario way more often than not, so I don't think it's anywhere near a 50/50 proposition. Not even close. How many teams do you see that have decades of winning seasons and stability get better after a new hire? It's not very many. How many do you see go south and then have 3 head coaches in 10 years? That happens a whole lot. The odds of things falling apart are, like I said, exponentially higher than going from frequent 10-win seasons to being even better and making the CFP.
Texas went through a couple of coaches before landing on Sarkisian.
Mentioning Texas in the same breath as Iowa when it comes to football is ignorant. Texas has literal billions in oil money, national brand recognition, a national fan base, and their own TV network. The two entities could not be more different than one another

Question 2...if you look at college football teams as a whole they end up with a nebraska-type scenario way more often than not, so I don't think it's anywhere near a 50/50 proposition. Not even close. How many teams do you see that have decades of winning seasons and stability get better after a new hire? It's not very many. How many do you see go south and then have 3 head coaches in 10 years? That happens a whole lot. The odds of things falling apart are, like I said, exponentially higher than going from frequent 10-win seasons to being even better and making the CFP.

Mentioning Texas in the same breath as Iowa when it comes to football is ignorant. Texas has literal billions in oil money, national brand recognition, a national fan base, and their own TV network. The two entities could not be more different than one another
Very good point. You also left off the fact that there's 30 million people in Texas compared to a little over 3 million in Iowa. That's at least 10 times our population which exponentially blows us out of the water in terms of instate recruiting targets not to mention they're a blue blood. You're absolutely right. We're not Texas and no where close.

Latest posts