If you could ask the Cubs to trade 1 player...

hawkfarmer

who would it be and why? Assuming that it could happen no matter what their contract is or says.

Mine would be Alfonso Soriano. He has a huge contract, he plays poor defense, and is very inconsistent at the plate. Plus he's a huge strikeout liability. Tyler Colvin would be a sufficient (I think potentially better) LF for the Cubs, and now we have 17 million every year to get a good FA or spend on our farm system.

There are many others that I wouldn't mind getting traded:
Grabow, Big Z, Ramirez, Fukudome, Samardzija (yeah he's 3A, but he's got a big contract). But Soriano is my #1.

Zambrano. This guy shows flashes of brilliance every year, but has never put it all together. He would whine to no end if he wasn't given the ball every opening day, but the truth is that he's not a #1 pitcher. This is the same guy that threw a no hitter one day, and then gives up 8 runs in 1 1/3 innings two starts later. I like to have consistency in a starting pitcher, and you never know what you're going to get when Z takes the mound. True #1 pitchers find a way to still go 5-6 innings, even when they have nothing that particular day. I just think it's gotten to the point where both parties would be better off with a split.

Zambrano. This guy shows flashes of brilliance every year, but has never put it all together. He would whine to no end if he wasn't given the ball every opening day, but the truth is that he's not a #1 pitcher. This is the same guy that threw a no hitter one day, and then gives up 8 runs in 1 1/3 innings two starts later. I like to have consistency in a starting pitcher, and you never know what you're going to get when Z takes the mound. True #1 pitchers find a way to still go 5-6 innings, even when they have nothing that particular day. I just think it's gotten to the point where both parties would be better off with a split.

Agreed and I think there would be takers. Maybe he would wave his no-trade clause if he thought he was going to be a reliever the rest of his career.

Not Soriano, there are just too many times his bat carries the team. Z, Grabow can go, Ramirez getting close, Samardzija I'd like to wait on on a while.

Probably not answering the post quite the way you want it........Soriano and it is not even close....... Someone, anyone, to take on that ridiculous contract......Man, that could free up sooooooo much money. You could probably could get rid of him at the trade deadline, but unfortunately 99.9% of the teams out there would make the Cubs eat the majority of the contract if they traded for him.....In other words he ain't goin anywhere.

Probably not answering the post quite the way you want it........Soriano and it is not even close....... Someone, anyone, to take on that ridiculous contract......Man, that could free up sooooooo much money. You could probably could get rid of him at the trade deadline, but unfortunately 99.9% of the teams out there would make the Cubs eat the majority of the contract if they traded for him.....In other words he ain't goin anywhere.

Exactly what I wanted. And I agree 100% with you. It's not who could get traded, it's who would you ask them to trade.

They're #2 and #3 on my list. But Soriano's contract does it for me. At least Z can have nasty stuff, and would be more difficult to replace IMO.

That's the key word. He CAN have nasty stuff, and even when he does there's not guarantee he's going to have any control over it.

If we traded Soriano, we would have to eat a HUGE portion of his contract. Zambrano is young enough where we would definitely eat some of the contract, but not a huge % like Soriano. And in Soriano's defense, his plate discipline is as good as I've ever seen it and looks to have a little left in the tank.

That's the key word. He CAN have nasty stuff, and even when he does there's not guarantee he's going to have any control over it.

If we traded Soriano, we would have to eat a HUGE portion of his contract. Zambrano is young enough where we would definitely eat some of the contract, but not a huge % like Soriano. And in Soriano's defense, his plate discipline is as good as I've ever seen it and looks to have a little left in the tank.

That's why we're talking IF you could trade someone and be done with him. I think it's obvious you'd have to eat some of Sori's contract, but he's the player I'd most like to see gone. Both have too many years left on their contract, and I like Z as a 4 or 5 pitcher, but he can still pitch.

And I have a hunch Sori will be back to his no hustle, poor d, strikeout at a pitch that only went 58 feet in the air ways soon.

I understand why most of you are saying Soriano...but just as bad as he can be at times, he's the complete opposite good. He'd probably be my #2 guy, just because of his huge contract that still has four years left. But, my #1 is Z. I never thot it would come to that either. I have always loved him...his emotion on the mound, he used to be fun to watch. Now, he's just a mediocre pitcher with a crazy contract that makes him way overpaid. I agree with 1237 on this one, you just don't know what you're going to get from him...complete headcase. I feel good with the starting pitchers coming up in the minors though. I think the Cubs rotation will look a lot different within the next year or two.

I understand why most of you are saying Soriano...but just as bad as he can be at times, he's the complete opposite good. He'd probably be my #2 guy, just because of his huge contract that still has four years left. But, my #1 is Z. I never thot it would come to that either. I have always loved him...his emotion on the mound, he used to be fun to watch. Now, he's just a mediocre pitcher with a crazy contract that makes him way overpaid. I agree with 1237 on this one, you just don't know what you're going to get from him...complete headcase. I feel good with the starting pitchers coming up in the minors though. I think the Cubs rotation will look a lot different within the next year or two.

I see what you're saying and I think the rotation will be different as well. I do see Z actually getting traded. I think he's back in the rotation partly to make him saleable. Silva won't be back, and he might be good in a trade if the cubs are out of it and he continues to pitch well. Dempster won't be back after his contract is up, but I believe he got a 4 year deal through 2012. Gorzellany is probably back to the BP or gone when his contract up, but I think they try to resign Lilly but might not get that done. And Wells is still cheap for a little while, but they'll keep him around. It might be a few years before real changes can occur.

That's why we're talking IF you could trade someone and be done with him. I think it's obvious you'd have to eat some of Sori's contract, but he's the player I'd most like to see gone. Both have too many years left on their contract, and I like Z as a 4 or 5 pitcher, but he can still pitch.

And I have a hunch Sori will be back to his no hustle, poor d, strikeout at a pitch that only went 58 feet in the air ways soon.

I hope he stays hot, but I have the same fear you do with Soriano. I'm hoping his work with Jaramillo will keep him out of the funks he seems to get into. If we traded Soriano, that would mean more at bats for Colvin, and that would be fine with me. That kid needs to play.

Another bad contract that everyone forgets is Fukudome. He's making around $16 million this year, and he's an average to slighly above average player. he's been pretty solid this year, but he hasn't done much other than the month of April his first two years with the team. At least Soriano can get hot and carry the club for weeks at a time. Don't get me wrong, Fuku is a decent player and especially good on defense, but a player with his numbers should get around $5 mil per year.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, Cashner will be in the rotation next year. I bet they let Lilly walk, and trade either Silva or Gorzellany. Assuming Z is still around, the rotation would look like.... Z-Dempster-Wells-Silva/Gorzellany-Cashner.

I hope he stays hot, but I have the same fear you do with Soriano. I'm hoping his work with Jaramillo will keep him out of the funks he seems to get into. If we traded Soriano, that would mean more at bats for Colvin, and that would be fine with me. That kid needs to play.

Another bad contract that everyone forgets is Fukudome. He's making around $16 million this year, and he's an average to slighly above average player. he's been pretty solid this year, but he hasn't done much other than the month of April his first two years with the team. At least Soriano can get hot and carry the club for weeks at a time. Don't get me wrong, Fuku is a decent player and especially good on defense, but a player with his numbers should get around $5 mil per year.

Another perfect example of how bad of a GM Hendry really is...all these long-term deals for the 30+ guys. Jeez, I really hope he gets canned soon. I can't wait to free up some of this money in the next year to get some better bang for our buck!

Another perfect example of how bad of a GM Hendry really is...all these long-term deals for the 30+ guys. Jeez, I really hope he gets canned soon. I can't wait to free up some of this money in the next year to get some better bang for our buck!

I think it is going to take longer than that, unless they can make some big trades. Lee comes off this year, as does Lilly (I think he gets resigned, and I'm ok with that). Rammy and Fuk are done after next year. Not sure either of them get resigned. Depends on how they do, but it's been reported Fuk won't play for anyone other than Chicago. Rammy depends on how Vitters develops or what they see in the minors. I would like to see Adrian Gonzalez. late 20s and a lefty with power. Could work out well for the Cubs.

I think we should trade Fonsy for a good reliever and/or prospects while he is hot! Colvin/Byrd/Kosuke is a helluva defensive outfield.

If Fonsy is a no, then D-Lee is my second choice, if/when he ever gets hot again.

There are other players I'd rather get rid of (FIRE GRABOW!), but I don't think they bring anything in return like Soriano and Lee could.

I completely agree. He missed BADLY on the contracts for Soriano, Zambrano and Fukudome. Those guys are making around $50 mil combined this year. That's more than the whole payroll for some teams. One guy Hendry MUST sign this offseason is Adrian Gonzalez. A stud 1B in the prime of his career, AND bats left handed, is exactly what this team needs. D Lee is competely done. My biggest fear is that he heats up (which I hope he does, don't get me wrong) and then Hendry rewards him with a huge contract. Lee is 34 years old...his best years are behind him.

whoever can get us the most good prospects out of Lee, ARam, Soriano, Z, Fukudome, Soto, Theriot, Fontenot, Lilly, Dempster...basically where I'm going with this is pretty much everyone should be on the block

Latest posts