If you could ask the Cubs to trade 1 player...

If you can ditch Zambrano now, I think you do it. Then trade Silva at either the trade deadline or during the winter if he has a good year. Let Lilly walk and you've got a rotation of Dempster, Wells, Gorz, Cashner, and Jackson or Diamond and about 40 mil less in payroll. With Lee leaving for sure this summer that opens up an additional 13 mil or so. I think at this point Ramirez won't opt out and will be back, hopefully he can get it together or get healthy whatever is bothering him. However, that really only leaves 2B and 1B open to make improvements unless you can find a taker for Fukudome going into his final year.
Still by making the above moves you've got about 55 mil to sign a 1B and 2B. There are some very nice 1B who look to be in the market during the summer. Sign one of them preferably a lefty and bring in a legit offensive 2B and you could be in business while still having some cash to add an arm to the pen.

1B the best option is Adrian Gonzalez. Now, for 2B you haven't eleviated any of our current options to open up a spot. We still have Fontenot, Baker and Theriot, though they all go to arbitration so you could let them go, but I think the cubs will try to keep at least one of them. Now, the rotation you suggest will not be a possibility going into next year. That is 2 new guys. I see Marshall coming into the rotation before 2 new guys. Maybe 1. However I think the cubs would spend some money on a starter there. However there could be some money to get a nice reliever as well, however the Cubs haven't done well with signing relievers coming off big years (hawkins and remlinger).

It will be interesting to see what happens. However the cubs are still in it so don't expect them to be sellers at the deadline, unless they are getting a sweet sweet deal. I think that if any big trades happen it will be this winter. The current payroll for 2011 is $103 million. However a lot of good players are going to arbitration and will get raises (Theriot, Marmol etc.) I don't think Silva will be back next year with his contract, but it might be hard to move. 14 mil over 2 years. Big Z might go, but everyone loves Lilly and they might want to resign him. We shall see.

Fukudome is going nowhere. He has a notrade clause and has stated that the only place he will play in the MLB is Chicago. Big Z also has a no trade and said he would have excercised it when trade talks to the Yankees were going around this spring. Might be hard to deal a lot of these guys that have guaranteed money and don't have to go anywhere if they don't want to.

1B the best option is Adrian Gonzalez. Now, for 2B you haven't eleviated any of our current options to open up a spot. We still have Fontenot, Baker and Theriot, though they all go to arbitration so you could let them go, but I think the cubs will try to keep at least one of them. Now, the rotation you suggest will not be a possibility going into next year. That is 2 new guys. I see Marshall coming into the rotation before 2 new guys. Maybe 1. However I think the cubs would spend some money on a starter there. However there could be some money to get a nice reliever as well, however the Cubs haven't done well with signing relievers coming off big years (hawkins and remlinger).

It will be interesting to see what happens. However the cubs are still in it so don't expect them to be sellers at the deadline, unless they are getting a sweet sweet deal. I think that if any big trades happen it will be this winter. The current payroll for 2011 is $103 million. However a lot of good players are going to arbitration and will get raises (Theriot, Marmol etc.) I don't think Silva will be back next year with his contract, but it might be hard to move. 14 mil over 2 years. Big Z might go, but everyone loves Lilly and they might want to resign him. We shall see.

Fukudome is going nowhere. He has a notrade clause and has stated that the only place he will play in the MLB is Chicago. Big Z also has a no trade and said he would have excercised it when trade talks to the Yankees were going around this spring. Might be hard to deal a lot of these guys that have guaranteed money and don't have to go anywhere if they don't want to.

I don't think the Cubs will be sellers either. I just think they should deal Silva if they can while he's doing well. I believe he's only got one year left after this not two. I didn't bother to address the collection of 2B we have because the Cubs should be able to improve on them and none of them are locked into a big deal. Theriot or Baker should be kept as util guys.

Fuku may agree to a deal if he's not going to be getting much playing time. For instance, if the Cubs go after Carl Crawford and Fuku is forced to the bench as a clear 4th OF. As for the rotation, I thought about Marshall but I believe Cashner will be a legit #2 in a rotation in a couple years. I believe the Cubs would put him in the rotation over Marshall and Jackson may get the nod over him there as well. I'm not sure. But I don't think they spend money on the rotation unless there is a legit ace available but they've got some nice young arms who I think they want to give opportunities to.

And we have a pretty good center fielder right now. That's not where we need help.
Marlon Byrd is an average CF at best, Bourn is an exceptional CF with an accurate arm that makes him one of the top assist OFs in the game. Most relevant, he is perhaps the fastest man in the NL and no other OF has his range. When your LF is Soriano, that is critical (not to mention that he would enable the Cubs to get a RF with power, compensating for any loss of speed and range from replacing Fukadome.

Where the Cubs "need help" is scoring runs..this is one of the weakest offenses in the NL, and replacing Pinella's revolving door approach to the leadoff man with Bourn's .400 OBP potential & league-leading triples and 60+ SB would do more to provide the "needed help" than any other plausible move--especially out of the Astro's lineup and park (look up Bourn's stats at Wrigley Field).

Drinking the Cub Kool-Aid leads to too much credulous acceptance of the Cubs" long practice of trying to tamper-down the understandable fan impatience by hyping kids from the day they sign. Brett Jackson is not the top prospect in the system--if he were, things would be bleaker than they are. He hasn't Bourn's glove, speed, arm. And he is several years away from the majors at best; no help to an offense that needs fixing now. Jay Jackson is a good pitching prospect, BUT...he wasn't considered one of the top 20 prospects in either the Southern or Florida State Leagues where he played last summer, and he has had mediocre "peripherals" throughout his pro career--he doesn't have the command of off-speed pitches to make up for the fact that he isn't a power pitcher with an overpowering fastball. Sure he has a CHANCE to be a solid major league pitcher, but there are three other SPs at Iowa who may have a better future. He is precisely the kind of minor league pitcher who typically gets thrown in as the extra piece in a trade of prospects for an established star. But I threw his name out as an example only, just conjecture on what the Cubs could include that the Astros might want in a trade for Bourn.

Would love to see Zambrano and Ramirez traded, but it won't happen because of their contracts. That leaves potentially Dempster and Fukudome and maybe Lee. Lee will be a free agent and time will tell if anyone is going to need him coming down the stretch. Someone like the Red Sox might take a flier on him and use him as a DH or Youkalis as a DH. Ortiz will be gone by the end of the year so I'd watch for the Red Sox to maybe make a play on Lee if they get back into the race.

[QUOTEBourn's .400 OBP potential & league-leading triples and 60+ SB

Rickey Henderson in his prime wouldn't even have 60+ SB's in a season on a Lou Pinella managed team.

Tiggerhawk, you my friend, are delusional. What exactly do you see in bourn that would lead you to believe he's such a great lead-off man to pull off your potential trade?!

Michael Bourn Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights | astros.com: Team

Career .262 avg,331 obp
For openers, last season he led the NL in stolen bases and triples, had the highest percent of his team's runs scored of any leadoff man in the NL.

Now, lets look at the RELEVANT AVG & OBP STATS, those for last year and this, for the time since be became a fixture as the Astro's leadoff man.

His batting avg for last year and this season is .287, his OBP is .358. And anyone aware of the extent to which the Astro's park depresses offensive stats and the notorious slumping of the hitters behind him in the lineup should be able to figure out how much better his stats would be playing in Wrigley (you might want to look at his Wrigley Field stats to grasp why he could make a huge difference in runs scored by the Cubs).

Sometimes the past IS only prologue.

For openers, last season he led the NL in stolen bases and triples, had the highest percent of his team's runs scored of any leadoff man in the NL.

Now, lets look at the RELEVANT AVG & OBP STATS, those for last year and this, for the time since be became a fixture as the Astro's leadoff man.

His batting avg for last year and this season is .287, his OBP is .358. And anyone aware of the extent to which the Astro's park depresses offensive stats and the notorious slumping of the hitters behind him in the lineup should be able to figure out how much better his stats would be playing in Wrigley (you might want to look at his Wrigley Field stats to grasp why he could make a huge difference in runs scored by the Cubs).

Sometimes the past IS only prologue.
I know Theriot doesn't always bat leadoff, but I think he is comparable to Bourn over the last 2 years.

2009 Avg OBP Runs RBI
Theriot .284 .343 81 54
Bourn .285 .354 97 35

2010 Avg OBP Runs RBI
Theriot .304 .332 23 14
Bourn .288 .363 23 5

[QUOTEBourn's .400 OBP potential & league-leading triples and 60+ SB

Rickey Henderson in his prime wouldn't even have 60+ SB's in a season on a Lou Pinella managed team.
A strange conclusion considering even a guy with much more modest speed and baserunning skills than Bourn--Ryan Theriot--has averaged about 25 SB a year playing for Pinella. Or Fukudome, who averaged five steals a year in his long career in Japan, only as many as 10 SB once, stole 12 bases his first year playing for Pinella.

When Pinella had players who could run the bases in Cincy, Seattle, Tampa Bay he played the running game; some of those teams compiled high SB totals. The guy is not a dummy, whatever you judge him otherwise: he hasn't had the Cubbies run much because he hasn't had guys who can run all that much.

If Lou had a guy who could steal more than 60 bases at an 80% or better success rate like Bourn, no reason to think he wouldn't let him run.

A strange conclusion considering even a guy with much more modest speed and baserunning skills than Bourn--Ryan Theriot--has averaged about 25 SB a year playing for Pinella. Or Fukudome, who averaged five steals a year in his long career in Japan, only as many as 10 SB once, stole 12 bases his first year playing for Pinella.

When Pinella had players who could run the bases in Cincy, Seattle, Tampa Bay he played the running game; some of those teams compiled high SB totals. The guy is not a dummy, whatever you judge him otherwise: he hasn't had the Cubbies run much because he hasn't had guys who can run all that much.

If Lou had a guy who could steal more than 60 bases at an 80% or better success rate like Bourn, no reason to think he wouldn't let him run.

Dude is this Bourn guy your cousin? Is he on your fantasy team? what gives? He seems like just another guy. Juan Pierre was considered a good lead off guy when he came to the Cubs and look what he did. There are a bunch of players that match up to him stat-wise. Why are you hailing him as the Cubs savior?His stats are definitely not jumping off the page especially with that Theriot comparison.

Dude is this Bourn guy your cousin? what gives? He seems like just another guy. Juan Pierre was considered a good lead off guy when he came to the Cubs and look what he did. There are a bunch of players that match up to him stat-wise. Why are you hailing him as the Cubs savior?His stats are definitely not jumping off the page especially with that Theriot comparison.

Stats are like any other information. Have to be interpreted. Have to be used in context, Have to evaluate situations.

Pierre is a terrible example: he was/is a poor outfielder, has a pathetic arm, for all his speed, was never a good baserunner. Stole a lot of bases, but not with the remarkable success rate of Bourn. Again, Bourn is considered the best defensive OF in the NL, has the best range in CF, very accurate arm, piles up assists.

Not only is Pierre a poor comparison as a player, but the circumstances of Pierre's tenure with the Cubs were totally different. He came to the Cubs as a one-year "rental" from the Marlins, who neither intended to keep him or were willing to resign him when he would become a free agent after the 2006 season. (After a year of Pierre's defense, the Cubs didn't try to sign him as a free agent either).

The Marlins sent him to the Cubs for three middling Double A pitchers: one of them, Nolasco, has developed into a solid major league starter (which is not surprising: astute scouting & evaluation are why the low budget expansion Marlins have won two World Series, while the big spending Cubs haven't sniffed a pennant since World War 2).

Nor can you fault Pierre for his OFFENSIVE performance as a Cub: he led the league in hits, stole about sixty bases, The problem, as always, was that he gave back about as many runs as he contributed.

As to the lead-off comparison to Theriot. The first clue you ought to weigh heavily in mind is that the Cub field manager & coaches clearly do not have a high regard for Theriot as a lead off man; consider why a team that has no other strong candidate for the role nonetheless uses Theriot at the top of the lineup about half the time or less.

The choice of stats to compare were poorly chosen other than OBP (the job of the leadoff man is to score runs, he isn't in a position to get RBIs--especially on an NL team like the Astros who have poor hitters from 6th through 9th in the batting order).

And OBP is only one of the major requirements of leading off. The purpose of the game is to score more runs than the opposition (already covered the opposition scoring side of the equation--Bourn is the best at his position in the field, Theriot is a mediocrity with limited range and a modest arm), and scoring more runs is greatly determined by the ability of the leadoff man to get into scoring position, especially with no outs.

Last year in 154 games, 602 ABs, Theriot had 171 hits, 20 2B, 5 3B, had 11 net SBs (thrown out 10 times against 21 steals). If he had been batting leadoff that means 36 times over the course of the season he got 2nd or 3rd--in scoring position--without requiring an out.

Last year in 157 games, 606 ABs. Bourn had 173 hits, 27 2B, 12 3B, had 49 net SBs (thrown out 12 times against 61 steals). That means 88 times he put himself in scoring position without an out being required to put him there. No other leadoff man in the NL came close to matching him.

That means he was in scoring position fifty plus more often--and that is a huge differential at the top of the lineup. And in this instance, the difference in the RISP for Castro, Byrd, Lee, Soriano over that of the Astros 2-3-4-5 hitters would augment the contrast.

So while there wasn't that much difference between Theriot's 343 OBP and the 354 OBP of Bourn, there was a huge gap beween their success in getting themselves into scoring position--which is the real measure of the leadoff man.

Last edited:
Not Soriano, there are just too many times his bat carries the team. Z, Grabow can go, Ramirez getting close, Samardzija I'd like to wait on on a while.

Soriano is the streakiest hitter I've ever seen. The guy burned us by insisting on hitting leadoff for so long, when he has ZERO of the qualities you look for in a leadoff hitter (he's got speed, but he doesn't steal bases anymore, for whatever reason). His bat carries us when he's feeling pressure. Right now it's Colvin's presence. His 40-40 year was for the big contract. Anytime he starts feeling the pressure to produce, he does it. But then when it goes away, he slacks off until the pressure mounts again. I want consistency.

Stats are like any other information. Have to be interpreted. Have to be used in context, Have to evaluate situations.

Pierre is a terrible example: he was/is a poor outfielder, has a pathetic arm, for all his speed, was never a good baserunner. Stole a lot of bases, but not with the remarkable success rate of Bourn. Again, Bourn is considered the best defensive OF in the NL, has the best range in CF, very accurate arm, piles up assists.

As to the lead-off comparison to Theriot. The first clue you ought to weigh heavily in mind is that the Cub field manager & coaches clearly do not have a high regard for Theriot as a lead off man; consider why a team that has no other strong candidate for the role nonetheless uses Theriot at the top of the lineup about half the time or less.

The choice of stats to compare were poorly chosen other than OBP (the job of the leadoff man is to score runs, he isn't in a position to get RBIs--especially on an NL team like the Astros who have poor hitters from 6th through 9th in the batting order).

And OBP is only one of the major requirements of leading off. The purpose of the game is to score more runs than the opposition (already covered the opposition scoring side of the equation--Bourn is the best at his position in the field, Theriot is a mediocrity with limited range and a modest arm), and scoring more runs is greatly determined by the ability of the leadoff man to get into scoring position, especially with no outs.

Last year in 154 games, 602 ABs, Theriot had 171 hits, 20 2B, 5 3B, had 11 net SBs (thrown out 10 times against 21 steals). If he had been batting leadoff that means 36 times over the course of the season he got 2nd or 3rd--in scoring position--without requiring an out.

Last year in 157 games, 606 ABs. Bourn had 173 hits, 27 2B, 12 3B, had 49 net SBs (thrown out 12 times against 61 steals). That means 88 times he put himself in scoring position without an out being required to put him there. No other leadoff man in the NL came close to matching him.

That means he was in scoring position fifty plus more often--and that is a huge differential at the top of the lineup. And in this instance, the difference in the RISP for Castro, Byrd, Lee, Soriano over that of the Astros 2-3-4-5 hitters would augment the contrast.

So while there wasn't that much difference between Theriot's 343 OBP and the 354 OBP of Bourn, there was a huge gap beween their success in getting themselves into scoring position--which is the real measure of the leadoff man.
A few points:
- I believe Threiot doesn't always lead off because he can bat other places in the lineup (like 2nd) where he is very valuable and that allows flexibility. He has an OBP of .361 in the leadoff spot in the past 3 years (2007-2009) while Bourn is at .327 (ESPN has the split stats). Houston has no other options at leadoff.
- While it is true that RBIs are not the main job of a leadoff hitter, the fact remains that RBI situations still happen and should not be totally discounted. RBIs are still runs produced. Theriot is batting .409 with runners in scoring position this year while Bourn is batting .217. Maybe Theriot should bat 4th or 5th. :)
- I will agree that Bourn gets to scoring position more often than Theriot last year. Bourn is 3 years younger as well. Those are very good points.

I said that Theriot was comparable to Bourn over the past 2 years. I don't think that is a huge stretch. If Bourn is so good offensively and defensively (gold glove last 2 years, excellent range factor, leads league this year in CF assists) why would Houston trade him?

Soriano is the streakiest hitter I've ever seen. The guy burned us by insisting on hitting leadoff for so long, when he has ZERO of the qualities you look for in a leadoff hitter (he's got speed, but he doesn't steal bases anymore, for whatever reason). His bat carries us when he's feeling pressure. Right now it's Colvin's presence. His 40-40 year was for the big contract. Anytime he starts feeling the pressure to produce, he does it. But then when it goes away, he slacks off until the pressure mounts again. I want consistency.

Agree to a point, but while he is hot now he should be batting clean up.

I know he is off to a good start but the 1 guy I would love to see traded is Fukudome. His batting style drives me nuts and he always wears out down the stretch. When he is at bat I always find myself talking to the TV trying to tell him to stay in the batters box when he swings.

I you could get rid of, and be completely free from, any player? Soriano and it's not even close.

Kosuke? He's an above average offensive and elite defensive RF. Is he an elite ballplayer? No, but he earns his money. When considering offense and defense, he's better than Soriano, and he only has a 1 1/2 years left. Not going to wreck the team with that.

Z? Someone said he'd make a nice 4-5 pitcher. That's insane. There is no team in baseball that has a #4 or 5 that will put up similar number to Z this year. None. There may be a couple that are close right now, but when the season is over, it won't be close. Z is NOT an ace, but he is a very good #2.

ARam or Lee? Nowhere near long enough of a contract to be detrimental to the team.

Grabow? Horrible contract for what he does, but in the big scheme of things, he doesn't make that much money. Way more than he's worth, yes.

Lilly? Been the best pitcher on the Cubs since he joined the team.

I think I got all of the bigger money/bad contract guys. None even come close to comparing to Soriano in the bad contract catagory. Keep in mind, when this season ends, he'll only be halfway through his contract. And he gets more expensive in the second half of that contract. He'll average around $20 mil per year over the last 4.

Soriano would get my vote even IF I assumed they'd have to eat 50% of what he's owed over the last four years.

A few points:
- I believe Threiot doesn't always lead off because he can bat other places in the lineup (like 2nd) where he is very valuable and that allows flexibility. He has an OBP of .361 in the leadoff spot in the past 3 years (2007-2009) while Bourn is at .327 (ESPN has the split stats). Houston has no other options at leadoff.
- While it is true that RBIs are not the main job of a leadoff hitter, the fact remains that RBI situations still happen and should not be totally discounted. RBIs are still runs produced. Theriot is batting .409 with runners in scoring position this year while Bourn is batting .217. Maybe Theriot should bat 4th or 5th. :)
I said that Theriot was comparable to Bourn over the past 2 years. I don't think that is a huge stretch. If Bourn is so good offensively and defensively (gold glove last 2 years, excellent range factor, leads league this year in CF assists) why would Houston trade him?
Good, relevant points.

First, the fact that Theriot is probably the Cub layer best suited to bat second should be considered in light of the two considerations: first, he is not a superior #2 hitter, isn't going to be compared to models like Sizemore or Polanco--is not a great bunter, doesn't excel at advancing runners by such as hitting to RF behind them, etc; moreover, the acquisition of Bourne would not only allow putting Theriot as the #2 hitter (and with Bourn's ability to get himself in scoring position, Theriot would have less occasion to bunt, less need to hit to right to advance him--it would maximize Theriot's offensive contributions) and it would enable the Cubs to drop Castro down in the lineup (as a VERY young rookie, with so little high minors play, he would benefit from not having to master the nuances of hitting second in the order).

Second, it is misleading to make two or three season comparisons, use stats like a three-year mean OBP. Bourn struggled his first year as a MLB regular in Houston; then emerged as an outstanding player last season.
But, again, clearly the most critical measure of a leadoff man is to get into scoring position. Bourn does that better than any leadoff man. And scoring runs is the most critical need the Cubs have to fill.

Third, your doubts about the willingness of Houston to trade Bourn undoubtedly are well-founded. Equally, IF they make him available the price will be high, by virtue of the extent to which the demand for a top-flight leadoff may exceeds the supply.

Still, there are some reasons, some evidence, some likely developments that may make it possible to obtain Bourn. First, while the Astros struggle every bit as much as the Cubs to score runs, their situation is far more dire because the Cubs have pitching; the Astros don't. Bleaker factor, unlike the Cubs who have pitching talent in AAA, the Astros have no one beyond Bud Norris anywhere close to MLB-ready (and Norris is struggling in the Astro rotation--ERA of about seven runs a game). Their top pitching prospects are very good supposedly--especially 19 year old Jordan Lyles in Double A. But that is a measure of their problem, as the other top pitching prospects are two other 19 year old kids in low A ball. All of them two or more years away from providing the pitching help so very needed now.

Next, it is going to get worse as Houston yields to Roy Oswalt's demand to be traded to a contender. Another hole in a SP rotation already lacking. Which is the basis of my guess that GM Ed Wade (who has long lusted for Zambrano) would deal for Z, who is young enough and on a contract that would set him up as a top of the rotation tandem with Wandy Rodriquez for the next three, four years.

When Wade deals Oswalt, he will look for young pitching help, but also he will be looking to add speed to the lineup. And that, ironically, would make it feasible to send Bourn to the Cubs in a deal that along with Zambrano also includes a young pitcher ready to start in Houston--BUT ALSO, key to the deal, last year's #1 draft pick of the Cubs, U of California CF Brett Jackson.

The logic of this scenario is that Jackson is seven years away from free agency, while Bourn is less than three years until he is going to get a big contract (which the Cubs will be in position to afford by then); and Wade gets rid of Oswalt's contract, has the Cubs picking up a big share of Z's, and with these moves and other trades of vets for kids reduces the Astro payroll--an imperative demand of his owner, and necessary for Wade to keep his precarious hold on his job.

Final point: the one other valuable chip that Wade has is that catchers are always in demand, and the Astros have no less than two of the hottest, most highly regarded, near-MLB ready catching prospects (Koby Clemons, Jason Castro) in all of baseball. They are alternating catching and DH in Triple A, giving first-rate performances behind the plate and hitting solidly. Houston undoubtedly will make Clemons (Roger's kid) their catcher next year, batting 5th or 6th in the lineup (he already has 10 2B, 10 HR), but Castro will be playing somewhere in the majors next year, and Wade will get young infield and/or pitching for him.

Probably fantasizing on my part, but IMO there is no single move that would help the Cubs more than getting the huge positive impact to the offense that Bourn would bring while resolving the Zambrano problems.

Good, relevant points.

First, the fact that Theriot is probably the Cub layer best suited to bat second should be considered in light of the two considerations: first, he is not a superior #2 hitter, isn't going to be compared to models like Sizemore or Polanco--is not a great bunter, doesn't excel at advancing runners by such as hitting to RF behind them, etc; moreover, the acquisition of Bourne would not only allow putting Theriot as the #2 hitter (and with Bourn's ability to get himself in scoring position, Theriot would have less occasion to bunt, less need to hit to right to advance him--it would maximize Theriot's offensive contributions) and it would enable the Cubs to drop Castro down in the lineup (as a VERY young rookie, with so little high minors play, he would benefit from not having to master the nuances of hitting second in the order).

Second, it is misleading to make two or three season comparisons, use stats like a three-year mean OBP. Bourn struggled his first year as a MLB regular in Houston; then emerged as an outstanding player last season.
But, again, clearly the most critical measure of a leadoff man is to get into scoring position. Bourn does that better than any leadoff man. And scoring runs is the most critical need the Cubs have to fill.

Third, your doubts about the willingness of Houston to trade Bourn undoubtedly are well-founded. Equally, IF they make him available the price will be high, by virtue of the extent to which the demand for a top-flight leadoff may exceeds the supply.

Still, there are some reasons, some evidence, some likely developments that may make it possible to obtain Bourn. First, while the Astros struggle every bit as much as the Cubs to score runs, their situation is far more dire because the Cubs have pitching; the Astros don't. Bleaker factor, unlike the Cubs who have pitching talent in AAA, the Astros have no one beyond Bud Norris anywhere close to MLB-ready (and Norris is struggling in the Astro rotation--ERA of about seven runs a game). Their top pitching prospects are very good supposedly--especially 19 year old Jordan Lyles in Double A. But that is a measure of their problem, as the other top pitching prospects are two other 19 year old kids in low A ball. All of them two or more years away from providing the pitching help so very needed now.

Next, it is going to get worse as Houston yields to Roy Oswalt's demand to be traded to a contender. Another hole in a SP rotation already lacking. Which is the basis of my guess that GM Ed Wade (who has long lusted for Zambrano) would deal for Z, who is young enough and on a contract that would set him up as a top of the rotation tandem with Wandy Rodriquez for the next three, four years.

When Wade deals Oswalt, he will look for young pitching help, but also he will be looking to add speed to the lineup. And that, ironically, would make it feasible to send Bourn to the Cubs in a deal that along with Zambrano also includes a young pitcher ready to start in Houston--BUT ALSO, key to the deal, last year's #1 draft pick of the Cubs, U of California CF Brett Jackson.

The logic of this scenario is that Jackson is seven years away from free agency, while Bourn is less than three years until he is going to get a big contract (which the Cubs will be in position to afford by then); and Wade gets rid of Oswalt's contract, has the Cubs picking up a big share of Z's, and with these moves and other trades of vets for kids reduces the Astro payroll--an imperative demand of his owner, and necessary for Wade to keep his precarious hold on his job.

Final point: the one other valuable chip that Wade has is that catchers are always in demand, and the Astros have no less than two of the hottest, most highly regarded, near-MLB ready catching prospects (Koby Clemons, Jason Castro) in all of baseball. They are alternating catching and DH in Triple A, giving first-rate performances behind the plate and hitting solidly. Houston undoubtedly will make Clemons (Roger's kid) their catcher next year, batting 5th or 6th in the lineup (he already has 10 2B, 10 HR), but Castro will be playing somewhere in the majors next year, and Wade will get young infield and/or pitching for him.

Probably fantasizing on my part, but IMO there is no single move that would help the Cubs more than getting the huge positive impact to the offense that Bourn would bring while resolving the Zambrano problems.
All relevant points. I do think Theriot is not as good as players like Sizemore and Polanco in the #2 spot, but he could be with a leadoff man like Bourn. Theriot can hit to the right side and bunt when needed, but he has hit #2 mostly behind Soriano and Fukudome the past couple of years. There has not been a lot of opportunities to move runners from 2nd to 3rd in those times.

I agree that using the 3 year average helped make my point. That's why I used it. :) No, really my point was that Theriot was more proven than Bourn and I usually go in that direction (usually to my detriment). The fact that I have had Theriot on my roto team the past 3 years has no bearing on this (he's cheap!). :D

I do agree with your assessment of the Astros organization. It will be interesting to see how much they trade away (Oswalt, Berkman, etc.) to rebuild. They defintely have holes in the pitching rotation and some good catching prospects, but their recent catching prospects (like JR Towles) have not worked out well. Roger Clemens son coming to the MLB - how old am I? :p

I agree that a move to get Bourn would probably improve the Cubs in many ways. However, I don't see the Astros trading him unless he provides the Astros some of the assets you mentioned in return or he is a problem in their clubhouse.

Latest posts