If you are Gary Barta do you force

Are you kidding? This loss had nothing to do with coaching? What are you smoking? This had everything to do with coaching. Horrible offensive play calling, inability to make adjustments, no defensive pressure and consistently missed tackles which is technique and that comes from poor coaching. Oh, almost forgot, an onside kick leads to the winning touchdown. What is the special teams coach thinking of? Maybe his head is up his you know what! And who do you think is ultimately responsible for this? I would say the unemotional head coach is.

What's more realistic, we don't practice or prepare for blitz pick ups, or we don't properly execute them on the field.

Three redzone opportunities should equal at least 13 points. That makes the score 34 to 10 going into the 4th. Combined with the stat sheet that's an *** whooping in my book

The coaching staff should start practicing clock management and play calling. :rolleyes:

C'mon Duff. A peewee league team should kick the **** out of Minny. Even with the missed FGs and TOs we should have killed them. Coker should be ******.

That's what makes being a Hawkeye fan a special, special thing. The "WTF Loss". We've got it down to a science.

If this was an exception, than chalk it up to "anything can happen". But it is not an exception as Iowa has not had one decent road performance in nearly two years (Michigan perhaps last year). In that stretch we have made some bad teams look good. That's a trend my friend. It's a bizarro world to think there aren't some seriously bad undercurrents going on right now with our beloved Hawks.

We don't coach to miss field goals. We don't coach to miss blitz pick-ups.

We gave away three red zone possessions and lost the turn over battle.
You are right, but the question is why? Why is Iowa seemingly in a trend of struggling and failing against teams that everyone else beats like red-headed step-children?

I have zero issues with the overall direction of the program and think the loss today had zero to do with scheme, play calling, or coaching.

True, but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have far more problems, than the few examples you just gave!

This game should not even have been close, let alone a loss. This is truly a low point in the Ferentz era.

But no, Barta won't force KF's hand. Until the big donors get upset and the contributions stop rolling in, KF is just fine and Barta will happily keep hauling away overflowing pails from the moneycow.

I have zero issues with the overall direction of the program and think the loss today had zero to do with scheme, play calling, or coaching.

By Kirks own admission, he didn't feel the hands team was necessary at that point before the on-side kick. Do you still have zero issues with that coaching decision?

Barta has neither the balls nor the inclination to do so. He's Bowlsby-lite....very...lite. And a good part of it remains the PC group of Non-athletic department committee members. Winning is just not that important to them.

I've been watching Iowa football, basketball and wrestling for 30+ years. And i've never seen more games that were lost by weak coaching (as opposed to ...just being outplayed, mistakes or bad games) than I have in the last 2 years under Ferentz.

Something must change. And somebody...has to have to balls to tell him that. But based on his petulant responses to tough questions as press conferences...he may have built such an "emperor-like" posture such that it may never happen.

In that case...we're f***ed.

Last edited:
Truly pathetic. This is a team that gets KILLED by everyone in the GD B1G. They also lost to NM State and NDSU. This is a team that consistently lets teams score 30 and above on them. If you're fine with losing to a team like that, you've become accustomed to tolerance of inexplicable badness. Respectable teams don't keep opponents like this in the game.

Pathetic losers.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0T0H9vD4c]Dumb And Dumber: "You are one pathetic loser..." - YouTube[/ame]

Truly pathetic. This is a team that gets KILLED by everyone in the GD B1G. They also lost to NM State and NDSU. This is a team that consistently lets teams score 30 and above on them. If you're fine with losing to a team like that, you've become accustomed to tolerance of inexplicable badness. Respectable teams don't keep opponents like this in the game.

Pathetic losers.
Dumb And Dumber: "You are one pathetic loser..." - YouTube

2506603.gif

Barta has neither the balls nor the inclination to do so. He's Bowlsby-lite....very...lite. And a good part of it remains the PC group of Non-athletic department committee members. Winning is just not that important to them.

I've been watching Iowa football, basketball and wrestling for 30+ years. And i've never seen more games that were lost by weak coaching (as opposed to ...just being outplayed, mistakes or bad games) than I have in the last 2 years under Ferentz.

Something must change. And somebody...has to have to balls to tell him that. But based on his petulant responses to tough questions as press conferences...he may have built such an "emperor-like" posture such that it may never happen.
t
Ind that case...we're f***ed.
I have to begrudgingly agree..... I never thought I would ever be this disgusted in the coaching staff - but this is a pattern.... not a fluke. We need to see some kind of change.... this is looking worse than the last year or two of Hayden.

Play-calling had some issues in this game:

- after running down the field they try passing and sacks + fumble result

- Minnesota picked up on what Indiana was doing with success: blitz off edge. Yet we still tried throwing out of 311 package in red zone.

- Had a lot of success running out of heavy package but lack of TE in passing game has really hurt. Fiedorowicz made a nice catch early and we saw a nice call with play to Orne, but TE still disappears for long stretches, plus inexplicable false starts, drops, etc.

- Surprised they haven't worked in counter and draw plays to remedy over-pursuit in short-yard situations and blitzes

Latest posts