If UNI were in Big Ten this yr they would have...

This is a good conversation Jon. I want nothing but the best for UNI in the tourney, but feel they would have been 5-8 in the Big Ten. This is not a knock on UNI. I hope they go to final four and fans get get all upset with those of us who feel they would be a middle of the pack big ten team.

I actually think they would be anywhere from 1-4. I can't understand why some people think they would get "worn down" in the B10, they play about 9 guys, have size, and extremely intelligent guard play. With the way most of the B10 outside of Purdue and OSU played this year I think UNI would be the team wearing others down.

UNI would finish no better than 6 in the big ten with their current players.

Yes they played great against Kansas but assume that translate to them beating top teams consistantly throughout the year. Face they were the best team in one of the worst confernces in the NCAA this year.

This year, and this year only, I think UNI would have challenged for the top spot in the big Ten, maybe emerging as the 3rd or 4th best team. I say this because of Egleseder. Generally speaking you don't see a really good big man on a valley team but Jordan is one of the best true posts around. Uni has so many options but I think very athletic guards will be their achilles heal. We will get a good taste when they play MSU. Even without Lucas the Spartans have a good guard court.

Yea like the players lickliter recruited to Iowa?? Jacobson has not recruited big ten talent and that is exactly why he should NOT be a canidate for the job. We need someone who has current ties and connections with the type of athletes we need to compete in the big ten. The last two mid-major coaches could not recruit the players we need at Iowa to win on a consistent basis. The current Iowa team looks like a horizon or Valley team. Jacobson should not even be in our top 8 realistic choices.

This is ridiculous. How many mid-majors have rosters loaded with big time major conference talent? Big time recruits are not looking to go to mid-majors so right away those coaches are at a disadvantage for top talent. You can't say that just because Jacobson has never recruited big time talent, he won't be able to at Iowa. He's not Alford, who did have a top 5 recruiting class in his second year, or Lickliter. Look at how much Egleseder has improved, look at how well he uses his bench guys. He's a much better coach than guys like Paul Hewitt at Georgia Tech or Rick Barnes at Texas or Gaurdio at Wake, these guys can bring in talent but they are terrible game coaches. You need to consider coaching too, not just recruiting.

This is ridiculous. How many mid-majors have rosters loaded with big time major conference talent? Big time recruits are not looking to go to mid-majors so right away those coaches are at a disadvantage for top talent. You can't say that just because Jacobson has never recruited big time talent, he won't be able to at Iowa. He's not Alford, who did have a top 5 recruiting class in his second year, or Lickliter. Look at how much Egleseder has improved, look at how well he uses his bench guys. He's a much better coach than guys like Paul Hewitt at Georgia Tech or Rick Barnes at Texas or Gaurdio at Wake, these guys can bring in talent but they are terrible game coaches. You need to consider coaching too, not just recruiting.

Given the era Iowa is coming out of I am much more inclined to stay away from the guy that has no experience recruiting at this level than I was even three years ago. Sorry Jake, just bad timing

Given the era Iowa is coming out of I am much more inclined to stay away from the guy that has no experience recruiting at this level than I was even three years ago. Sorry Jake, just bad timing

What makes you think Forbes will be able to recruit as well without a big time coach to back him up?

UNI finishes no worse than 5th in the B10 this year, with the possibility of breaking into that top 4. They're crazy deep (playing 9-10 guys good minutes every game) so I don't buy the 'they'll wear down over the B10 season' argument. They have good guard play, a legit post presence and athletic forwards who can play inside and out.

UNI team is very good together..veterans and a perfect fit together. They are deep. Excellent chemistry. Would have to expect a bit of a drop off next year without bigs Koch and Egelseder. They will still be good but this year appears to be the team and year they have been building for. Whole different game and league (figurativelly and reality) than everyday life in Big 10.

Sorry, Jon, this strikes some of us as just another snarky post from you about why Jacobson should not be considered. (Hey, folks, can we all correctly spell his name -- son, not -sen).

BTW your premise is false. You assume UNI plays in the B10 with the same players it currently has. I don't think the same players who are attracted to UNI are going to be attracted to Iowa, or the other way around. It is only conjecture to speculate what a Jacobsen/Big 10-recruited team would do in the Big 10. He has never recruited the Big10, only the MVC.

He might well have a different game plan and a different approach with Big 10-caliber players.

Jacobson appears to be a very good coach. I think he has some advantages over your current favorite, Steve Forbes, in that he has run his own program for the past four years.

I think he deserves to be treated as a serious candidate for the Iowa position, just as I do several other names that have been mentioned.

Excellent post. I would add he does not have the recruiting budget either either.

so this team just beat the #1 team in the country to advance to the sweet sixteen and many of you are trying to argue that they still wouldn't compete in the big 10?? please, the ignorant logic in this thread is embarrassing.

what are you going to say if they make the elite 8? final 4? still not good enough?

Yea like the players lickliter recruited to Iowa?? Jacobson has not recruited big ten talent and that is exactly why he should NOT be a canidate for the job. We need someone who has current ties and connections with the type of athletes we need to compete in the big ten. The last two mid-major coaches could not recruit the players we need at Iowa to win on a consistent basis. The current Iowa team looks like a horizon or Valley team. Jacobson should not even be in our top 8 realistic choices.

Come on that argument does not work and really gets tiresome. Pearl never had to recruit SEC talent while he was at Milwaukee either. You can say that for every successful coach who made the jump from a mid-major school. Good/Great coaches adapt to what they need.

Kirk Ferentz left Maine to come to Iowa for God's sake. He adapted. He figured out what he needed.

Last edited:
so this team just beat the #1 team in the country to advance to the sweet sixteen and many of you are trying to argue that they still wouldn't compete in the big 10?? please, the ignorant logic in this thread is embarrassing.

what are you going to say if they make the elite 8? final 4? still not good enough?

Yes. That is what will be said. Even if they win the national championship.

Say what you will, but there's a huge adrenaline rush when every game is potentially your last. On any given night, UNI has shown they can beat the best. But it would be a completely different scenario to hang in a major conference night in and night out. They could compete, this year, in the BigTen. Not for the top spot, but middle of the pack. And I stress, THIS YEAR. 3 seniors and 2 juniors if I remember correctly? This is the best team they've ever had and still don't come close to matching up talent wise with a high major conference.

On a side note, congrats UNI and best of luck the rest of the way.

LOL at the thought UNI wouldn't be an upper division B10 team. What's that based on? Just the fact we are the B10 and they are in the MVC?

They would finish somewhere 2-4 in the B10 this year.

The thought that they couldn't hold up physically in the B10 is laughable. This team is extremely deep (9 players average double digit min). It is also extremly physical (especially on defense) thier front line is 6-8 255, 6-6 255, and 7-0 280. That's a bigger front line than almost any team in the conference They also play a half court grind it out style of play that is very well suited for the B10.

They MIGHT struggle in a league like the Big East where the majority of the teams like to run up and down and score points. But the B10 isn't nearly as atheltic as many of those teams.

LOL at the thought UNI wouldn't be an upper division B10 team. What's that based on? Just the fact we are the B10 and they are in the MVC?

They would finish somewhere 2-4 in the B10 this year.

The thought that they couldn't hold up physically in the B10 is laughable. This team is extremely deep (9 players average double digit min). It is also extremly physical (especially on defense) thier front line is 6-8 255, 6-6 255, and 7-0 280. That's a bigger front line than almost any team in the conference They also play a half court grind it out style of play that is very well suited for the B10.

They MIGHT struggle in a league like the Big East where the majority of the teams like to run up and down and score points. But the B10 isn't nearly as atheltic as many of those teams.

You would agree that Kansas is a get out and run team, right? Did they do much of that the other night? No. UNI dictated the tempo of that game.

UNI didn't just beat Kansas. They practically dominated them up until Kansas started pressing (again, they dictated the tempo, as Kansas almost never presses). Kansas' only lead was 2-0. I'm sorry, but this UNI team would finish no worse than 5th in the Big Ten. It's one thing to get up for a game like this and make a buzzer beater to win or something. But holding the nation's #1 team to 15 points below their scoring average, and allowing that same #1 team to hold the lead for all of 47 seconds is beyond impressive. That's just flat out revealing.

Yes. That is what will be said. Even if they win the national championship.

Oh yeah, having a coach on the Iowa sidelines wearing a NC ring would not go over to well with recruits or the existing players. /sarcasm

Come on TooLegit reconsider this statement. A long shot of this ever happening but if UNI somehow won the NC then you could forget him coaching Iowa anyway as he would have better offers. Just getting UNI to the sweet 16 is going to make him an attractive candidate to a number of jobs.

Latest posts