If UNI were in Big Ten this yr they would have...

Sorry I am not validating your feelings on this ;)

There are quite a few UNI alums on here. UNI is the Switzerland of Iowa. And we were all proud last night.

Enough people have DM'd me about it on Twitter that I found it to be an interesting discussion topic. If I am wrong this thread will Peter out. Nothing more nothing less. I have nothing against Coach Jacobson. They are the story of the tournament and that is awesome. You are looking for motives that so not exist.

UNI would destroy an undisciplined team like Michigan. I think they would finish around 5th. Maybe a little higher or lower

Is there a point behind this thread or is this just another lame way of saying you do not want Ben Jacobson as coach? To try and say UNI is the 7th or 8th best team in the Big 10 after they just upset Kansas to reach the sweet 16 blows my mind. They beat the #1 team in the nation with a crowd that favored Kansas. Did anyone just witness how bad Wisconsin looked against Cornell? But Cornell would finish 7th or 8th in the B10 right?

I think what he is saying is that the BT schedule is a little more grueling that what UNI plays.. and that they might have worn down a little.

I think they have a very good team and could have finished as high a 2nd but could be as low as 5 or 6... I think they are capable of winning the BT tourney.

No matter how flashy an offense is, you have to play defense. Jacobson may not be the "high tempo" coach everyone wants, buit he needs to be a serious candidate. On a given night in the Big Ten, shooting can be stone cold, like the last 3 years of the Lickliter era, and if Iowa had a decent defensive scheme, Lickliter might not be fired.

I would take a defensive mind coach anyday because Iowa will never be able to recruit the best players out. It's time to come back to reality and realize Jacobson may be the best coach Iowa can get besides an assistant who has never coached a minute of basketball.

I would hope Iowa is better than that.

Depend on who they doubled up on the schedule.

I say no worse than 4th, as well.

I think any place between 5-8 is a legit option.

Having said that, I don't think you would see this UNI team get blown-out in the manner Iowa did, and the players would not of quit like we saw from this squad.

I completely understand why people don't want Jac, but I'm a little concerned that some are more concerned with hiring a big time recruiter with a buzz factor then a well rounded coach.

UNI would destroy an undisciplined team like Michigan. I think they would finish around 5th. Maybe a little higher or lower

I think there is a chance of that. And the second time they played them, at Michigan, I think there is a chance that Harris and Sims would obliterate UNI. That's how they are.

UNI could have run the table at home this year. I guess we'll find out next week how they measure up to one of the best of the Big 10.

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
Storm_Trooper_pooping.jpg

Sorry, Jon, this strikes some of us as just another snarky post from you about why Jacobson should not be considered. (Hey, folks, can we all correctly spell his name -- son, not -sen).

BTW your premise is false. You assume UNI plays in the B10 with the same players it currently has. I don't think the same players who are attracted to UNI are going to be attracted to Iowa, or the other way around. It is only conjecture to speculate what a Jacobsen/Big 10-recruited team would do in the Big 10. He has never recruited the Big10, only the MVC.

He might well have a different game plan and a different approach with Big 10-caliber players.

Jacobson appears to be a very good coach. I think he has some advantages over your current favorite, Steve Forbes, in that he has run his own program for the past four years.

I think he deserves to be treated as a serious candidate for the Iowa position, just as I do several other names that have been mentioned.

Yea like the players lickliter recruited to Iowa?? Jacobson has not recruited big ten talent and that is exactly why he should NOT be a canidate for the job. We need someone who has current ties and connections with the type of athletes we need to compete in the big ten. The last two mid-major coaches could not recruit the players we need at Iowa to win on a consistent basis. The current Iowa team looks like a horizon or Valley team. Jacobson should not even be in our top 8 realistic choices.

Yea like the players lickliter recruited to Iowa?? Jacobson has not recruited big ten talent and that is exactly why he should NOT be a canidate for the job. We need someone who has current ties and connections with the type of athletes we need to compete in the big ten. The last two mid-major coaches could not recruit the players we need at Iowa to win on a consistent basis. The current Iowa team looks like a horizon or Valley team. Jacobson should not even be in our top 8 realistic choices.

If that were true that UNI doesn't have the type of athletes to compete in the Big Ten, they shouldn't be beating teams like Kansas..

Iowa in 2010 wouldn't finish .500 in the Missouri Valley.

If that were true that UNI doesn't have the type of athletes to compete in the Big Ten, they shouldn't be beating teams like Kansas..

Iowa in 2010 wouldn't finish .500 in the Missouri Valley.

It was ONE game! Night in and night out in the Big Ten schedule is totally different. I agree that IOWA would not finish .500 in the Missouri valley. That is exactly why we need a big time recruiter from a major conference! UNI has nice players that have meshed well and formed a teriffic team. However, they are not high end talent that you need to compete at a consistent level in the big ten.

Honest question here...

What would UNI have to do to convince people that they have talent on that team?

They are already in the sweet sixteen and it seems that people aren't convinced. If they beat a Big Ten team to get to the Elite 8 is that going to be enough?

Honest question here...

What would UNI have to do to convince people that they have talent on that team?

They are already in the sweet sixteen and it seems that people aren't convinced. If they beat a Big Ten team to get to the Elite 8 is that going to be enough?

Never, B10 fan's self image is so inflated that they think Providence is a mid-major.

Honest question here...

They have a very good team this year. They have the ingredients you need, and Ben has done a good job of assembling that team and coaching them.

That said, few of those players had multiple offers from teams not of the Mo Valley level. I know, I know 'Just think what he could do with better players?'

Getting those players is key...same thing for Lick...its just not snap your fingers stuff.

If Iowa would hire Ben, they will have had to be comfortable with the staff he would bring here, because he doesnt have any high major recruiting experience at any stop along his way.

They have a very good team this year. They have the ingredients you need, and Ben has done a good job of assembling that team and coaching them.

That said, few of those players had multiple offers from teams not of the Mo Valley level. I know, I know 'Just think what he could do with better players?'

Getting those players is key...same thing for Lick...its just not snap your fingers stuff.

If Iowa would hire Ben, they will have had to be comfortable with the staff he would bring here, because he doesnt have any high major recruiting experience at any stop along his way.
This is a good conversation Jon. I want nothing but the best for UNI in the tourney, but feel they would have been 5-8 in the Big Ten. This is not a knock on UNI. I hope they go to final four and fans get get all upset with those of us who feel they would be a middle of the pack big ten team.

Latest posts