If UNI were in Big Ten this yr they would have...

There is not one shred of difference in the conversations surrounding Jacobson this year and Lickliter's selection

You would agree that Kansas is a get out and run team, right? Did they do much of that the other night? No. UNI dictated the tempo of that game.

UNI didn't just beat Kansas. They practically dominated them up until Kansas started pressing (again, they dictated the tempo, as Kansas almost never presses). Kansas' only lead was 2-0. I'm sorry, but this UNI team would finish no worse than 5th in the Big Ten. It's one thing to get up for a game like this and make a buzzer beater to win or something. But holding the nation's #1 team to 15 points below their scoring average, and allowing that same #1 team to hold the lead for all of 47 seconds is beyond impressive. That's just flat out revealing.

I also dont think they would beat Kansas more than 2 out of 10 times if they played in a nuetral or 5 home and 5 away series.

To say a mid-major won't be able to recruit at the BCS level uses faulty logic. I'm sure there are many cases of coaches making the jump and recruiting well.

Yeah, it's true Lick didn't do a good job and to a lesser extent it's also true of Alford. But, other coaches have done so after making the change. Maybe it's just the case that Lick and Alf just weren't great at it due to their own lack of ability rather than because they "didn't have the experience" to recruit in the Big 10.

And, if all BCS schools were looking for a coach and used that logic, then no mid-major coach would ever get hired.

Oh yeah, having a coach on the Iowa sidelines wearing a NC ring would not go over to well with recruits or the existing players. /sarcasm

Come on TooLegit reconsider this statement. A long shot of this ever happening but if UNI somehow won the NC then you could forget him coaching Iowa anyway as he would have better offers. Just getting UNI to the sweet 16 is going to make him an attractive candidate to a number of jobs.

I have to stick by it. I'm sure a NC ring would be helpful in recruiting and he would be a highly sought after coach. He'll likely get some good offers even if they lose to MSU. But, as many others have pointed out, he has never had to recruit in a major conference which is a large portion of our current problems. Now if it is a magical NC ring... I may change my tune.

I don't doubt he can be a great coach somewhere. I just don't think Iowa is the place for him. At least not right now.

To say a mid-major won't be able to recruit at the BCS level uses faulty logic. I'm sure there are many cases of coaches making the jump and recruiting well.

This is the correct answer. The recuiritng success of a coach is mostly dependant on the recruiting ability of the coach not whether he comes from a major or a mid major.

I also dont think they would beat Kansas more than 2 out of 10 times if they played in a nuetral or 5 home and 5 away series.

I would agree with you if they hadn't played the way they did. If it had been a buzzer-beater type game, then I would agree. But Kansas led for 47 SECONDS!!!! 2-0!!! That's it! I'd give UNI a 4-6 record in neutral site/home and home. Keep in mind, the game in OKC was basically a home game for Kansas, as the crowd was dominated by KU fans.

I wonder what the reaction of the fan base was like when Iowa hired Lute Olson from Long Beach State. This followed Dick Schultz who was an assistant under Ralph Miller with no previous HC experience. It is also interesting to note that Ralph Miller was hired away from Wichita State, yet another mid major program. Mike Krzyzewski was hired from Army, Gary Williams started at American U, Rick Pitino started at Boston U, John Wooden was at Indiana State, I could go on and on. Making the jump from mid majors happens all the time. It is going to take a heck of a lot of money to bring in a big name to Iowa, it it happens then I will be thrilled. But we all need to keep an open mind to another mid major coach coming to Iowa as that might be the most realistic scenario.

BTW, Alford could recruit, he couldn't coach.

The class with Worley, Reiner etc... was ranked #1 in the country.

That was with ZERO facilities BTW. So don't say you can't recruit to Iowa... Alford di, he just didn't coach, or adjust, or basically do anything else.

I would agree with you if they hadn't played the way they did. If it had been a buzzer-beater type game, then I would agree. But Kansas led for 47 SECONDS!!!! 2-0!!! That's it! I'd give UNI a 4-6 record in neutral site/home and home. Keep in mind, the game in OKC was basically a home game for Kansas, as the crowd was dominated by KU fans.

You can make the argument that Kansas should have been as "up" for this game as UNI but, in all likelihood, they were not. UNI should be proud but Kansas got caught looking ahead. 4-6? Ridiculous.

This feels like Iowa football after we win the first game of the season. One win and the world will never same... until the next game.

You can make the argument that Kansas should have been as "up" for this game as UNI but, in all likelihood, they were not. UNI should be proud but Kansas got caught looking ahead. 4-6? Ridiculous.

And they would have been anymore "up" in a regular season game, where a loss isn't the end of your season? I highly doubt that. When Kansas' only lead is 2-0, there was much, much more involved than just "looking ahead".

And they would have been anymore "up" in a regular season game, where a loss isn't the end of your season? I highly doubt that. When Kansas' only lead is 2-0, there was much, much more involved than just "looking ahead".

Maybe, but if UNI was playing Kansas twice a year for five years, do you realistically think they're going to win more than 2 of those games? Personally, I wouldn't expect them to win any of them. Or 10 games in 1 season? I don't care if UNI won the first of 10 or the second to last of ten. There wouldn't be any losses following it.

This is such a ridiculous conversation. Iowa won at Kansas years back. That team wouldn't have repeated itself and the college basketball world hasn't changed. Kansas is still enjoying one of the seats at the head table and Iowa, UNI, or any other team with a fluke win over them isn't taking their seat or even challenging for it.

Maybe, but if UNI was playing Kansas twice a year for five years, do you realistically think they're going to win more than 2 of those games? Personally, I wouldn't expect them to win any of them. Or 10 games in 1 season? I don't care if UNI won the first of 10 or the second to last of ten. There wouldn't be any losses following it.

This is such a ridiculous conversation. Iowa won at Kansas years back. That team wouldn't have repeated itself and the college basketball world hasn't changed. Kansas is still enjoying one of the seats at the head table and Iowa, UNI, or any other team with a fluke win over them isn't taking their seat or even challenging for it.

I'm not saying that the program would stack up over a 10 game series. But THIS YEAR'S team could win 4 games out of ten.

I'm not saying that the program would stack up over a 10 game series. But THIS YEAR'S team could win 4 games out of ten.

While we can't agree on who would win those games, at least we can agree that no one will win this debate...

Latest posts