If Purdue was the turning point...

I think you just flush it, get ready for Tuesday game. Illinois just lost to the Zags, they will be hungry to win. I don't like Iowa in that one... could be a 20+ loss.

Obviously Iowa was not ready for the full court pressure. Would be pretty hard to simulate in practice with this squad. I can see Minny being very good some days and not so good on others! It is what it is right now. I am looking forward to some development the rest of this year and then on to next year!

We need a good point guard and a big man inside to change somebody's shoot
all the other pieces are there

All I can say is we suck! If Minnesota could have kept the intensity up they could have won by 40! People wake up! If we don't finish 10+ wins better next year than this year Lickliter should be canned.

Oh by the way shouldn't someone like Gatens be the rock on a day like today? He was far from poised today.

Oh by the way shouldn't someone like Gatens be the rock on a day like today? He was far from poised today.
While not Gatens' best game, he did lead the team in points, rebounds, and assists. I know he took a couple of ill-advised shots, but I don't think he was that bad (far from poised).

We need a good point guard and a big man inside to change somebody's shoot
all the other pieces are there

So in other words, we need ball handlers, and we need big guys. What are the other pieces that you are talking about that we DO have? We have plenty of guys that are 6'5", 6'6" or so. What we DON'T need at this point is more "tweeners".

Most importantly, it seems to me that we really need somebody that can actually handle the ball against pressure. That said, this team needs to figure out how to break a press with what we have. You can't expect Cully or Little Lick to be dribbling all over the court with a press all over them and expect good things to happen. Pass the ball!

So in other words, we need ball handlers, and we need big guys. What are the other pieces that you are talking about that we DO have? We have plenty of guys that are 6'5", 6'6" or so. What we DON'T need at this point is more "tweeners".

Most importantly, it seems to me that we really need somebody that can actually handle the ball against pressure. That said, this team needs to figure out how to break a press with what we have. You can't expect Cully or Little Lick to be dribbling all over the court with a press all over them and expect good things to happen. Pass the ball!

As I have noted in the past, any B10 coach that does not press Iowa should be fired. That being said, they will all press and in my guesstimation Iowa now has gone up to a 60% chance of not winning another game...

As I have noted in the past, any B10 coach that does not press Iowa should be fired. That being said, they will all press and in my guesstimation Iowa now has gone up to a 60% chance of not winning another game...

If I was an opposing coach, I would press and press until Iowa proves that they can handle it AND hurt you by beating your press for some easy baskets. Keep doing it as long as it works. Iowa should expect more of this the rest of the year if the rest of the coaches in this league watch today's game tape.

I still think Iowa will steal a game or two at home sometime this year, against bottom division teams, but I don't see how we win a game on the road this year.

So teams that don't normally press will now press Iowa? I don't see Northwestern changing to press us, but I could be wrong. I do agree that teams that normally apply pressure will probably turn it up, but I don't think every team we play will put a press on.

So teams that don't normally press will now press Iowa? I don't see Northwestern changing to press us, but I could be wrong. I do agree that teams that normally apply pressure will probably turn it up, but I don't think every team we play will put a press on.

Correct. The teams that don't normally press will press Iowa, just because they don't normally press doesn't mean that they can't press...

I just don't see it. Some teams may press, but a lot of teams won't just change and say, for this game, we are going to press. If they have a limited bench, that would not be good for them either. I do agree we will see more pressure from teams that normally pressure the ball up the court, but you will not see teams just change their philosophy for one game (or 2 if they play Iowa twice).

I just don't see it. Some teams may press, but a lot of teams won't just change and say, for this game, we are going to press. If they have a limited bench, that would not be good for them either. I do agree we will see more pressure from teams that normally pressure the ball up the court, but you will not see teams just change their philosophy for one game (or 2 if they play Iowa twice).

Are you kidding me? I'm sure the other teams have tape and can see that this would be the way to play...then once they get up by 15-20 they can back off and rest for a few minutes...and every team with a short bench normally will be extending their benches against Iowa anyway

Latest posts