If Purdue was the turning point...

Correct. The teams that don't normally press will press Iowa, just because they don't normally press doesn't mean that they can't press...

Agree... How could a coach not pressure Iowa at this point. I said that before the big 10 season started especially with Tucker gone. No one really wants to handle the ball under pressure. Not good.

Well, I don't think that will happen (the press, that is) from teams that normally do not press (assume you mean full court press). You will see a team like Northwestern dial up their 1-3-1 half court defense to be aggressive, but they will not full court press. Have you watched them play in the last 10 years or so? The same will be true with Michigan (they will play the 1-3-1 as well). Indiana does not press throughout the game a lot, but I could see them changing because they need to adjust their game to win some times, especially with their leading scorer out. You will see teams like Illinois, Michigan State, and Ohio State pressure the ball as much as they can (and you may see a press).

Are you kidding me? I'm sure the other teams have tape and can see that this would be the way to play...then once they get up by 15-20 they can back off and rest for a few minutes...and every team with a short bench normally will be extending their benches against Iowa anyway

Would Iowa press a team that was turnover prone?

Would Iowa press a team that was turnover prone?

It's not so much about being turnover prone...Iowa doesn't have anyone that can dribble or at the very least dribble with speed...Pressing does not always have to be about turnovers. It can be about the clock as well, now instead of Iowa starting their offense with 30 on the shot clock it is starting it with 25 on the shot clock and that disruption can be a huge problem for Iowa...

Last edited:
It's not so much about being turnover prone...Iowa doesn't have anyone that can dribble or at the very least dribble with speed...Pressing does not always have to be about turnovers. It can be about the clock as well, now instead of Iowa starting their offense with 30 on the shot clock it is starting it with 25 on the shot clock and that disruption can be a huge problem for Iowa...
Now, I agree with you here. The 1-3-1 defenses of NW and Michigan will give us fits if we do not start the offense quickly and pass the ball to the open spaces. We won't see the press, but we will see a lot of the 1-3-1. I also agree the normal pressing teams will be licking their chops when we show up.

Latest posts