If, on the 1% chance Iowa can somehow beat OSU in the Shoe,

I'd believe you... i just think becoming the OC at Iowa is career suicide at the current. I don't think anyone on our staff that has any aspirations of working past a few seasons in college football would touch it. Hopefully we have smart enough coaches that know that no matter who is in that role, they are the heal of this program.
I talk to him a few times a year, usually when he’s back in the area at track meets visiting recruits. The most recent was at the Sioux Center meet when he was back here watching Lutmer run the 100 and 4x100 (Central Lyon kid). Known him since middle school playing sports and travel ball. The guy has Old Gold blood. He’s told more people than me than Hayden Fry believing in him and taking a shot at a kid from Cleveland who ended up in BFE Larchwood, IA changed his whole life and I honestly don’t know of a guy who is more Hawkeye than that dude. I can tell you from the horse’s mouth he wants to be the next Hayden Fry and keep the era going. I know I don’t have proof of that for you, but he’s not looking anywhere else and he’s had many opportunities to leave for better jobs.

Whether he’ll get the chance is the question.

..........and what makes you and others think Woods is this natural OC that is ready for that coordinator position? I mean people get on BF because they feel he's a fish out of water and question him coaching the QB's. Lavar played linebacker at Iowa and has no experience orchestrating or coordinating an offense.

I realize he's valuable to the program and an excellent ST coach, but, that doesn't automatically bridge to being a top not OC.
Oh I don't think Woods has any qualifications for being an OC except that he is, by all accounts, a really good coach and has been in whatever role he has held. Some people just have a knack for coaching. I don't think my idea is a good idea, I am just trying to figure out a way for Brian to not be the OC in a way KF might do.

You could also fire the OL coach, hire a new OC from the outside, install BF as the OL coach and assistant head coach and name BF as "the coach in waiting." It is a meaningless title, but a lot of schools use it to hang on to great assistants under aging coaches. Iowa could use it to demote a bad coach. That would be very, very Iowa.

Oh I don't think Woods has any qualifications for being an OC except that he is, by all accounts, a really good coach and has been in whatever role he has held. Some people just have a knack for coaching. I don't think my idea is a good idea, I am just trying to figure out a way for Brian to not be the OC in a way KF might do.

You could also fire the OL coach, hire a new OC from the outside, install BF as the OL coach and assistant head coach and name BF as "the coach in waiting." It is a meaningless title, but a lot of schools use it to hang on to great assistants under aging coaches. Iowa could use it to demote a bad coach. That would be very, very Iowa.

Oh yea, I get that. I know of Lavar where we live and have met him on a few occasions thru youth sports over the years with Mason being on the same team as our boys. He definitely is a stand up guy and I think is a good coach. I hear what you are saying. But I don't want Iowa to go thru coordinators like musical chairs like what Nebby does with head coaches. I just want them to get that hire right.

I talk to him a few times a year, usually when he’s back in the area at track meets visiting recruits. The most recent was at the Sioux Center meet when he was back here watching Lutmer run the 100 and 4x100 (Central Lyon kid). Known him since middle school playing sports and travel ball. The guy has Old Gold blood. He’s told more people than me than Hayden Fry believing in him and taking a shot at a kid from Cleveland who ended up in BFE changed his whole life and I honestly don’t know of a guy who is more Hawkeye than that dude. I can tell you from the horse’s mouth he wants to be the next Hayden Fry and keep the era going. I know I don’t have proof of that for you, but he’s not looking anywhere else and he’s had many opportunities to leave for better jobs.

Whether he’ll get the chance is the question.
Wow.

'member that time we had a team that was probably a little better than this team and it lost by 39 points against Michigan in the Big Ten title game? Great opening drive that resulted in 3 points and no more scoring the whole way. Maybe people betting Iowa forget about that game.
I believe the same QB was under center.

If I was Barta/University Pres I'd state that Brian can take another lesser role (OL) or hit the road. All evidence is there for this decision, more than enough. It's a way out for Brian too as he can start to work on his resume again (positive direction in lieu of negative) and still pay the bills. That's the deal, take it or leave it and since Brian reports to Barta then Kirk has no say other than to quit in protest if he desires, which should relieve U of I buyout mess.

..........and what makes you and others think Woods is this natural OC that is ready for that coordinator position? I mean people get on BF because they feel he's a fish out of water and question him coaching the QB's. Lavar played linebacker at Iowa and has no experience orchestrating or coordinating an offense.

I realize he's valuable to the program and an excellent ST coach, but, that doesn't automatically bridge to being a top not OC.
He hasn’t just been a special teams coach. He’s been in the program a total of 17 years as a player, GA, and coach. He’s coached LBs, TEs, and special teams and done spectacularly at all of them. Produced a TON of NFL talent and played in the league himself. Not every P5 coordinator goes to G5 or D2 or whatever as a coordinator first.

I keep racking my brain trying to come up with the final score.

Tennessee scored 50+ agains Alabama for crying out loud. Could OSU hang half a hundred on the hawks?

Can Iowa have some semblence of offense and use up some clock and keep the ball away from OSU?

If I were an animator I'd develop ad cartoon of a crazy iowa fan, who was walking down the street in IC and hears someoen say "We need O" so he goes to columbus on Thursday, rents a huge truck and steals all the O's in town and comes back and dumps them on KF's front yard. People in Clumbus wake up to find they have no Os in _hi_
It's going to look an awful lot like the B1G Championship game last year.

A fluky win this weekend would be the absolute worst possible thing that could happen for this team. Some of you people just don't think past a week or two in the future. Yikes.
and you are the genius? Problems with the Ferentzs? I get it. Wanting Iowa to lose at OSU, I don't get.
Do you know any of the player's parents? If so, I think you should call them or pay them a visit. Tell them you want to see their son's team (and allegedly your team) get their asses kicked saturday.
Better yet, stop by the football facility after practice. Maybe catch a player or two and tell them you are hoping they lose Saturday. Make sure you wear some Iowa gear.
Tell me if your son was playing you would be hoping they lose. This would be quite an achievement for any of these players to win at OSU. How could any true fan want Iowa to lose this game?

If Iowa wins this game it's gonna really reduce the Survival Crowd.... 8 out of 10 that have picked thus far have picked OSU. Two of us picked TCU and one hasn't picked yet.

Last edited:
and you are the genius? Problems with the Ferentzs? I get it. Wanting Iowa to lose at OSU, I don't get.
Do you know any of the player's parents? If so, I think you should call them or pay them a visit. Tell them you want to see their son's team (and allegedly your team) get their asses kicked saturday.
Better yet, stop by the football facility after practice. Maybe catch a player or two and tell them you are hoping they lose Saturday. Make sure you wear some Iowa gear.
Tell me if your son was playing you would be hoping they lose. This would be quite an achievement for any of these players to win at OSU. How could any true fan want Iowa to lose this game?
Sorry, friendo. Brian Ferentz needs to go and winning this game (not gonna happen anyway so it’s a moot point) would only make him think he should stay longer. Best interests of the program come first.

Why? I don't think there's any chance we win the game, but on the weird bizarre chance they somehow did, it would be a much needed shot in the arm for a program circling the toilet.

https://s3.scoopwhoop.com/anj/16_Everyday_Struggles_Of_Being_A_Creative_Person/700595849.gif

Does Day have any sympathy in his body is the question. This could be 21-0 at the end of the first quarter. How fast does he pull the plug on his starters and think big picture/ They are playing for all the marbles. Not to worry about anybody elses feelings. Idealy they'd like to get up 30-40 pts in the first half and not even trot out the starters in the 2nd if they could. Unless OSU has a mass of injuries and fluky plays/TOs Iowa doesn't have a shot at keeping this game close let alone winning it.

There might be a few wounded buckeyes limping off the field

One can only hope and pray to the Lord

Latest posts