If it's Phil Parker, what's your reaction?

If Phil Parker is the new DC, what's your opinion?

• I will be happy. Phil's a great coach; continuity has served Kirk Ferentz and Iowa football well.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I will be disappointed. The program is stale and needs the new energy and new blood that an outside

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • I will view it as a wash. The coordinators only do what the HC wants.

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
seepig
It sounds like you need to move on. I don't know why you think that you are entitled to this kind of info. When KF is ready to make an announcement he will probably let Barta know then have a press conference. At that time you will know, unless Ahawk1 gives vintage his inside info and vintage posts here first. Until then sit back wnd watch some hoops or NFL and relax.

Think about KF's past decisions and his basic nature. He had to have a final three so he adds one outsider, a former PSU coach, knowing fully well that if he selects that coach, the selection could cause a great controversey. KF does not do controversey...PSU coach out! His other choice is his son with no real coaching experience. That would rule out his son as the defensive coordinator. That leaves Phil Parker, a man who has been on KF's staff for many many years.

So who do people think will be selected? KF is loyal to a fault, his loyalty even overshadows the football program in importance. There has never been a consideration of any other coach for the position. KF has been going through the steps but he selected his coordinator the day Norm decided to retire. He just had to go through the motion.

KF would operate no other way...much too risky and as we all know, KF is not into risks. I would expect nothing else from Ferentz...nothing else.
BF was not a candidate for DC. If he was, there is a serious problem. But he wasn't.

While I would like to see an external hire I think Kirk will stay loyal and promote Parker. It is tricky because you don't know what autonomy an external hire would have with the program. Would Kirk let an external hire run the defense he wants to run? Or is Kirk comfortable with what we have been doing the past 13 seasons. Making the switch from d-back coach to defensive coordinator is a big jump. If Parker is hired I hope he pans out as well as many expect him to. If not, Kirk will be in a tricky situation because he obviously does not believe in firing his assistants. At least we can hope Kirk takes a hard look at external candidates. I am guessing that he is since no announcement has come forth to date.

I can see KF grinning like the Cheshire Cat......you jelly?

Iowa's journey towards blinding mediocrity is nearly complete.

Really, KF delegating DC to Philp is kinda indicative of the program's basic paradigm: we have stem-cell plug-in redundant players (profusion of linemen, LBs and TEs.....all basically interchangeable, and no more skill position players than can be dismissed from the team any given year) and stem-cell plug-in redundant coaches.

I guess Philp could just be a "project".....a "developmental project"......kinda like giant TEs that can't run, can't block, can't tackle, but are heralded as THE BIGGEST THING EVAR.

Latest posts