If it's Phil Parker, what's your reaction?

If Phil Parker is the new DC, what's your opinion?

• I will be happy. Phil's a great coach; continuity has served Kirk Ferentz and Iowa football well.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I will be disappointed. The program is stale and needs the new energy and new blood that an outside

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • I will view it as a wash. The coordinators only do what the HC wants.

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
Dexter, not saying you are wrong, but how do you know that we haven't lost some possible recruits? Also, how could working out details with a replacement for PP affect the announcement of his appointment as DC?

Must agree with you on your comment about 83Hawk. I think it will be PP and we are losing an opportunity.

Heck, PP could turn out to be a great DC.

Even if Kurt hired Dick Lebeau, the defense would be unchanged. Kurt could hire Shanahan or Martz as OC, and the offense would be unchanged. The TEAM philosophy is ball control, low risk offense and keep it in front of you, soft zone, low risk defense. Minimize possessions, keep the score down and win close when you have great players at several key positions. That's the model, bud, love it or leave it. More season tickets for the real fans.

Ding Ding Ding. Well put.

Dexter, not saying you are wrong, but how do you know that we haven't lost some possible recruits? Also, how could working out details with a replacement for PP affect the announcement of his appointment as DC?

Must agree with you on your comment about 83Hawk. I think it will be PP and we are losing an opportunity.

Heck, PP could turn out to be a great DC.

I don't.

EDIT: I'll add. We haven't had any decommit because of it. Jaleel might but from the sounds of things that doesn't have anything to do with not having a DC in place. Lambert would be the only guy that this MIGHT have affected and I don't think that was the case there either.

Last edited:
the possibility the outside hire would bring in new recruiting connection, with Parker we don't get this, Norm did not recruit on the road these past few years which hurt recruiting.
it is all about recruiting, and Iowa cannot rely on instate recruiting and need someone with other areas to recruit from and/or strengthen the areas they have.
again Phil does none of these
Parker is a good recruiter, who I'm sure has a lot of good connections and relationships built with HS coaches. If we hire someone from the outside, Parker may go elsewhere. Would the potential gain from an outside coach outweigh the loss of Parker? Who knows.

Regardless of who it is, it would be nice if the DC would be hired so they could talk to recruits who may be wavering...like Jalel who is on campus this weekend.

i have no idea how good Phil wood be as a DC, but that is not premise of the outside hire, i think a new hire Being the DC position would be more helpfull in recruiting than a position coach.
either way i will be happy with whoever it is as i believe KF will make the best hire in the end, afterall its his neck on the chopping block not mine or anybody on these boards

Meh. We're just little ol' Iowa. No beaches, no warm weather, just corn and tractors.
7-5 in perpetuity.

I said I think it is a wash, because I wouldn't mind some new blood, but don't think it is necessary. I think Phil could do as good a job as most that would come to Iowa. The last few years have been about the player talent, not the scheme.

TractorGirl.jpg

What took so long is KF wanted to give his son Brian the opporutnity to interview for the position. There is zero chance he is getting the position but you gain so much experience through the interview process it will be a big help to him down the road.

How many defensive commits have we lost because of this dragging out? What makes you think the recruits don't already know it's Parker if that's who it is going to be.

Maybe they told them it's going to be Parker and they're working out some details with a new assistant to replace him so they can't announce it yet.

No matter how much you dislike our coaching staff they aren't stupid, they've been in this game long enough to know how it works.

You could be right on the recruits though 1) it was Ferentz who said we may lose some kids because of the long search, and 2) Curry is now visiting Nebraska and Lohn K-State though this may not be a result of the search dragging on. But these were visits that were added very recently.
If they are just hiring a new coach and promoting Parker there is no reason they couldn't announce that. (Which is why now I will be surprised if it is Parker. The way this was handled seems ridiculous otherwise.)

Latest posts