If it's Phil Parker, what's your reaction?

If Phil Parker is the new DC, what's your opinion?

• I will be happy. Phil's a great coach; continuity has served Kirk Ferentz and Iowa football well.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I will be disappointed. The program is stale and needs the new energy and new blood that an outside

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • I will view it as a wash. The coordinators only do what the HC wants.

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
The only reason I will be disappointed is the fact that it is now almost February. If they go with Parker, it makes perfect sense, but why wait this long to do it.

Exactly.. If you're gonna possibly lose, for example, recruits like J. Johnson because P.Parker isn't coaching at Iowa (discussed in 2 separate 'earlier in the week' threads and also reportedly part of a J. Johnson tweet), why wait if P. Parker is to be the new DC? Maybe, because who knows who's gonna be J. Johnson's DL coach?

EDIT: What I'm saying is: IMO, any new Iowa DC, including P.Parker, won't have as much input as Ferentz in choosing defensive position coaches.
IMO, Iowa won't get a 'hotshot' candidate for DC because of Ferentz's demands.
P.Parker may very well be the next DC because he's shown he will 'put up' with demands from Ferentz.

I think, in some way, Ferentz is waiting for the end of the pro season.

Therefore, I chose C.

Last edited:
You could be right on the recruits though 1) it was Ferentz who said we may lose some kids because of the long search, and 2) Curry is now visiting Nebraska and Lohn K-State though this may not be a result of the search dragging on. But these were visits that were added very recently.
If they are just hiring a new coach and promoting Parker there is no reason they couldn't announce that. (Which is why now I will be surprised if it is Parker. The way this was handled seems ridiculous otherwise.)

Interesting, I hadn't heard that.

TractorGirl.jpg

If that's what they're growing down on the farm in Iowa now perhaps it's time for me to move back home. :p

That there's a 10.

As for the question to the poll I went with the first option based on the other two options.

I do think new blood is needed but with Kaz moving to Nebby there is going to be new blood on the staff regardless which I think is good no matter at what title. And to think that Phil doesn't have is own ideas on D or wouldn't call a game differently than Norm is idiotic.

That there's a 10.

As for the question to the poll I went with the first option based on the other two options.

I do think new blood is needed but with Kaz moving to Nebby there is going to be new blood on the staff regardless which I think is good no matter at what title. And to think that Phil doesn't have is own ideas on D or wouldn't call a game differently than Norm is idiotic.

I'd only give it about a seven. The rim looks like it's got a little rust and maybe even some damage. It's still good enough to get the job done though.

I'd like to see Captain Vanilla take one of those NFL jobs. I'd bet the farm he'd be fired within 3 years.

My initial reaction will be disappointment.. But I'm not that familiar with Phil Parker as a coach. Maybe he is very good and will get the job done (but I don't know). I'll be willing to give him that chance (from a fan's perspective) without throwing him under the bus right away. I guess I would view a Phil Parker hire as being just as predictable as many of the in-game calls that we see from KF. But maybe we will all be surprised..

this is my thoughts on this situation as well. If not a bit more optimistic than mine.

I think KF will have missed the boat and a huge window of opportunity. This hire will reflect on him just like a new hire of a HC reflects on the hiring AD. He will get hit with more criticism if it doesn't work out, than if an outside hire. However, he will reap the same praise either way if it does become a successful hire.

I will be fine with it. Norm Parker was far from a sexy hire 12 years ago. Many of these same fans would rip that to shreds now, but Norm got the job done.

KF took some time to put his staff together 13 years ago,and it has been proven to be outstanding. Have some faith. KF knows what he is doing.

My reaction would have nothing to do with PP himself. I'd be frustrated because we've lost an opportunity to get new blood on a coaching staff that feels stale. I'd be frustrated because something seems to need to change.

After the initial irritation, I'd be ok with it. Lots of players seem to think he's a great coach. It's hard to judge him based off the time Norm was away. Maybe he'll help light it up. Dragging everything out like this would seem strange if we do end up going with him.

The next time Kirk Ferentz makes a coaching decision that comes as a complete surprise, it will be the first time.

That said, like it or not, that's good leadership: the man does exactly what he believes will be best for the program regardless of what anyone else may think. I respect him for that, if not for what would be a conservative and utterly predictable hire.

I said I think it is a wash, because I wouldn't mind some new blood, but don't think it is necessary. I think Phil could do as good a job as most that would come to Iowa. The last few years have been about the player talent, not the scheme.

Maybe this year . . . and 2007. Last year's five-loss total had very little to do with talent. The LB injuries really hurt, but there were MAJOR coaching bufus against Wisconsin, and the team showed zero killer instinct against Minnesota.

Ferentz might dictate the general framework of schemes, but an outside D-coordinator might just energize the team. Parker might as well, but I think it is more likely that an outside guy (esp. a name like Bradley) would bring some buzz to the stadium and new energy to camp.

I'd be fine with it, but the time factor has me starting to think something else is going on. Unless it's just simply a case of finalizing the DB and DL coaching positions if Phil has it.

i think if the Ravens win tomorrow we may see the deadline pushed another 2 weeks, as i believe the hire will come from the Raven staff, if they lose tomorrow we will know this week

Maybe this year . . . and 2007. Last year's five-loss total had very little to do with talent. The LB injuries really hurt, but there were MAJOR coaching bufus against Wisconsin, and the team showed zero killer instinct against Minnesota.

Ferentz might dictate the general framework of schemes, but an outside D-coordinator might just energize the team. Parker might as well, but I think it is more likely that an outside guy (esp. a name like Bradley) would bring some buzz to the stadium and new energy to camp.

Well played I agree wholeheartedly even if tools like imported ankle chime in and have some other excuse.

Think about KF's past decisions and his basic nature. He had to have a final three so he adds one outsider, a former PSU coach, knowing fully well that if he selects that coach, the selection could cause a great controversey. KF does not do controversey...PSU coach out! His other choice is his son with no real coaching experience. That would rule out his son as the defensive coordinator. That leaves Phil Parker, a man who has been on KF's staff for many many years.

So who do people think will be selected? KF is loyal to a fault, his loyalty even overshadows the football program in importance. There has never been a consideration of any other coach for the position. KF has been going through the steps but he selected his coordinator the day Norm decided to retire. He just had to go through the motion.

KF would operate no other way...much too risky and as we all know, KF is not into risks. I would expect nothing else from Ferentz...nothing else.

Last edited:
Think about KF's past decisions and his basic nature. He had to have a final three so he adds one outsider, a former PSU coach, knowing fully well that if he selects that coach, the selection could cause a great controversey. KF does not do controversey...PSU coach out! His other choice is his son with no real coaching experience. That would rule out his son as the defensive coordinator. That leaves Phil Parker, a man who has been on KF's staff for many many years.

So who do people think will be selected? KF is loyal to a fault, his loyalty even overshadows the football program in importance. There has never been a consideration of any other coach for the position. KF has been going through the steps but he selected his coordinator the day Norm decided to retire. He just had to go through the motion.

KF would operate no other way...much too risky and as we all know, KF is not into risks. I would expect nothing else from Ferentz...nothing else.

Can't disagree with that logic at all NewMex. I would guess that his phone calls to recruits would be to tell them don't panic because XXX is going to be the guy and that there is some, as of yet unknown reason why if PP is the guy. Just announce it and lets move on. Maybe I'm missing it but if Phil is the guy why the drama. Also, if Brian is coming in for Morgan I kinda understand the NFL situation but really Brian is a low level operative in the NFL I think Belechick would say congrats and adios go do it...why the secrecy and waiting until the Pats are out of it?

Latest posts