If it's on Twitter it must be true right?!

Whenever I attempt to cross the street at a pedestrian crossing

I scan the traffic in both directions and keep looking both ways while crossing

Perhaps because of the other car which stopped, the driver's vision was somewhat impeded/hampered

Bottom line, even when crossing any street with a green light, look right and left to determine
that it is clear

I do it all the time, it is instinctive

Picture an Idiot scanning TicToc on his smartass phone while speeding down the road

Suddenly: Red Light: Whoa, MFer

:cool:

Whenever I attempt to cross the street at a pedestrian crossing

I scan the traffic in both directions and keep looking both ways while crossing

Perhaps because of the other car which stopped, the driver's vision was somewhat impeded/hampered

Bottom line, even when crossing any street with a green light, look right and left to determine
that it is clear

I do it all the time, it is instinctive

Picture an Idiot scanning TicToc on his smartass phone while speeding down the road

Suddenly: Red Light: Whoa, MFer

:cool:
It's wild the blind faith some folks as pedestrians and I'll include bikers have with that. So often I see folks just heads down walking straight ahead oblivious to the traffic. When I'm out and about I'm head on a swivel. I dunno if that makes me paranoid or what but if something is going to hit me I want to see it coming I guess.

Thats an easy mistake to make. Brutal timing. In my opinion, if a person gets hit while in the street it should always be his fault unless the driver is running a stop sign or red light. A person in the road can take a driver by surprise. But that person knows there are cars coming and knows to look for them every time they cross. I feel almost as bad for the driver as I do for the person who got hit.
It does get confusing and the onus, I think, should really be on the pedestrian out of common sense. A car weighs 3,000 lbs, most humans out walking around 170lb. I mean if lanes of traffic are moving ant not at a stop sign, pedestrian be ware. I'm not crossing even if I have the right.

I have some HS buddies who way back were on a two lane road. They were in a similar incident. They were stopped and waved a car to the right of them to go. The car went and got nailed by another car in the lane next to them going through.

Lesson to the young drivers on here. Don't completely rely on another driver or individual waving you on in this scenario. You check and proceed with caution after checking.

I get that that's the law. I just think it's dumb. Roads are meant for cars and it's damn near impossible to get hit by a car on the road if you're paying attention.
In all fairness I think you could also say it's damn near impossible for a pedestrian to get hit by a car on the road if the drivers paying attention.

There is really nothing criminally or civilly that will punish the driver, regardless of who he/she is, more than having the memory of what happened.
I am pretty sure you are correct about criminally. He's a minor, unless he was negligent speeding, drinking, texting, fails a drug or alcohol test or something, there's almost going to be no repercussion towards the at fault party. He'll likely get a small fine or court fee, maybe some driving courses or mandated community service and that's not likely. Even if he was speeding, drinking, texting, or fails a drug screen ... that likely only results in some sort of probation that he can get everything expunged from his record by completing.

That said, there is a ton of civil liability there....Fran's gonna end up paying in, but I am positive he has a good lawyer

That said, there is a ton of civil liability there....Fran's gonna end up paying in, but I am positive he has a good lawyer
Yeah this is going to be a seven-figure settlement, maybe eight because of the parents. Lawyers are going to be lined up around the block and make this thing ugly unless there's a big number.

I guy who technically lives in the county I'm in (he spends all his Iowa time in Boji and "vacations" in MO the rest of the year) hit a lady in Arizona and killed her on a bike five or six years ago, and they proved he was typing an email. He owns a big trucking company with multiple locations and a HUGE storage rental business in Arizona and Nebraska. Worth more than Fran.

His huge insurance policy maxed out at a seven figure number and he ended up selling a bunch of his storage units to cover the rest which was more than double the insurance.

Once the lawyers want to start dragging Fran's family and personal life into the fray of public court there will be some major checks written that we'll never hear about other than a news blip saying "the two parties have reached an undisclosed settlement."

Yeah this is going to be a seven-figure settlement, maybe eight because of the parents. Lawyers are going to be lined up around the block and make this thing ugly unless there's a big number.

I guy who technically lives in the county I'm in (he spends all his Iowa time in Boji and "vacations" in MO the rest of the year) hit a lady in Arizona and killed her on a bike five or six years ago, and they proved he was typing an email. He owns a big trucking company with multiple locations and a HUGE storage rental business in Arizona and Nebraska. Worth more than Fran.

His huge insurance policy maxed out at a seven figure number and he ended up selling a bunch of his storage units to cover the rest which was more than double the insurance.

Once the lawyers want to start dragging Fran's family and personal life into the fray of public court there will be some major checks written that we'll never hear about other than a news blip saying "the two parties have reached an undisclosed settlement."

I agree it will likely be settled exactly how you said, "the two parties have reached an undisclosed settlement."

but.....

I don't think there's a lot of stuff to drag down the McCaffery family, even in a civil court. I mean, they won't attack the kid cause he's a kid and the family is very public and very well known in our state, if there's dirt on them we'd already know it. The second this happened, Fran lawyered up right? He's not a dummy. He didn't try and cover something up, he likely wants this done as quietly as possible but also he's following his teams legal advice more than anything. More than likely they will settle to just move past it, get it out of the news asap and bury it for the sake of their family and Jack so they can all move on.

I agree it will likely be settled exactly how you said, "the two parties have reached an undisclosed settlement."

but.....

I don't think there's a lot of stuff to drag down the McCaffery family, even in a civil court. I mean, they won't attack the kid cause he's a kid and the family is very public and very well known in our state, if there's dirt on them we'd already know it. The second this happened, Fran lawyered up right? He's not a dummy. He didn't try and cover something up, he likely wants this done as quietly as possible but also he's following his teams legal advice more than anything. More than likely they will settle to just move past it, get it out of the news asap and bury it for the sake of their family and Jack so they can all move on.
If this is all true, hopefully the McCafferys have an umbrella policy that is in place for this exact scenario. If so, any settlement will be paid out by an insurance company.

In all fairness I think you could also say it's damn near impossible for a pedestrian to get hit by a car on the road if the drivers paying attention.
True. But a driver has a lot more things to be looking out for and those things come up on you way faster because you're moving faster. A pedestrian has one thing to look for and knows exactly when to look for it.

People talk all the time about how easy it is to miss a motorcycle. People are even smaller targets to see. If it's dark or they are hidden by another car, it can happen fast.

I don't know any details and I'm not suggesting anything.

How many teenagers text/scroll and drive though? Gotta be like 75%? More?

Again, no idea of the details here, and I'm not suggesting the driver was texting. But if, IF, the driver was texting, that is some serious shit to consider and assume has major implications on liability.

So 247 did an article on Jack recently and he pretty much flat out said he's not coming to Iowa... He said "I don't think I will go there I made that up in my mind awhile ago" I don't know if this was said prior to the accident or not but I'm guessing it was. OSU and ND have reached out to him already with more to come I would imagine.

So here's the luck Iowa has. Fran has 3 boys that are D1 level players and the best one won't end up playing for him. I'm projecting here by assuming that but Jack looks to be pretty dang good...

So 247 did an article on Jack recently and he pretty much flat out said he's not coming to Iowa... He said "I don't think I will go there I made that up in my mind awhile ago" I don't know if this was said prior to the accident or not but I'm guessing it was. OSU and ND have reached out to him already with more to come I would imagine.

So here's the luck Iowa has. Fran has 3 boys that are D1 level players and the best one won't end up playing for him. I'm projecting here by assuming that but Jack looks to be pretty dang good...
I'd say Jack is the one with the highest ceiling vs. "the best one". Connor and Patrick have both showed what they're capable at the college level and Jack hasn't. He may have the brightest future, but he's yet to do anything at the collegiate level. That said your probably not wrong.

It does get confusing and the onus, I think, should really be on the pedestrian out of common sense. A car weighs 3,000 lbs, most humans out walking around 170lb. I mean if lanes of traffic are moving ant not at a stop sign, pedestrian be ware. I'm not crossing even if I have the right.

I have some HS buddies who way back were on a two lane road. They were in a similar incident. They were stopped and waved a car to the right of them to go. The car went and got nailed by another car in the lane next to them going through.

Lesson to the young drivers on here. Don't completely rely on another driver or individual waving you on in this scenario. You check and proceed with caution after checking.

Basically, simply look for cars in any direction and YIELD, Give the Automobiles the right of way, on every occasion

There is no upside or downside

One doesn't challenge a moving vehicle Ever

Common Sense must be brought into Play

Last edited:

Self Defense is the rule of the road for pedestrians

One should have one's coffin chosen before stepping out the door, otherwise

Iowa law is explicit that cars always have to yield to pedestrians in crosswalk. It also quite common in IC for pedestrians to walk across crosswalks with red lights too.
When school's in session around a B1G campus it's not uncommon for students to completely ignore their surroundings, especially traffic.

I ain't barred in Iowa so I don't know if they have this, but in Cackalack they have something called the "family purpose doctrine" which allows a victim or a victim's estate to sue the owner of a vehicle involved in a car accident if it is owned by the head of the household who is a parent or spouse of the driver. It arose from a case where some rich guy down in Charleston had a complete fvckstick kid who was obviously judgment proof who killed someone in a car accident. I'm sure Fran has an umbrella policy but the lawyers may seek an amount in excess of it and try to depose him and crap and he'll have to settle to avoid the process.

Latest posts