If Gesell continues to struggle....

Well first off... the idea that you can only criticize or evaluate something if you have done it yourself is pretty much some of the worst logic in existence.

I guess none of us can judge the president, since we have never been one. Don't criticize that movie - you have never directed one...

Now for evidence that he hasn't played well lately:

In his last 3 games he has 10 assists and 11 turnovers... that's not his bread and butter.

outside of the Maryland game where he got 3 garbage time lay-ups he is shooting 3-22 from the field (13%)

He is also 7-13 from the ft line in the last 5 games (56%) and a missed a bunch of important Free throws at the end of games.

He absolutely has played poorly as of late... but I'm confident he will get going again.
He'll be fine.

I will say that Gesell with the ball at the end of the half seems like a lost cause IMO. I don't remember the last time Iowa actually scored a bucket at the end of the half. He will just dribble up top until there's 5 seconds left and then either turn the ball over or kick it out with .5 seconds on the clock. It has been maddening.

Impossible to disagree with you. Iowa has blown out most of their competition this season. They've lost most of the close games they've been in. Looking to Big Dance, Iowa fans will cringe with MG dribbling for 30 seconds out top before making move at the no of the shot close. God forbid he get fouled when the team is down two late like he was most recently vs. Maryland.

Go Hawks!

Mike is not a score, but we don't need him to be. If he keeps taking care of the ball and putting guys in a position to score, I really can't think of a single good reason to pull him.

It's not as though Clemmons is a scorer, either. Why not yank him?

Well said. Too many people think that if a guy can't shoot he isn't a good player. Gesell is a defensive beast. How many guys have blown by him consistently this year? He's also handling the ball well and has a really good assist to turnover ratio. He can score occasionally, which is really all we need with shooters like Jok, Uthoff, Baer, etc.

Well first off... the idea that you can only criticize or evaluate something if you have done it yourself is pretty much some of the worst logic in existence.

I guess none of us can judge the president, since we have never been one. Don't criticize that movie - you have never directed one...

Now for evidence that he hasn't played well lately:

In his last 3 games he has 10 assists and 11 turnovers... that's not his bread and butter.

outside of the Maryland game where he got 3 garbage time lay-ups he is shooting 3-22 from the field (13%)

He is also 7-13 from the ft line in the last 5 games (56%) and a missed a bunch of important Free throws at the end of games.

He absolutely has played poorly as of late... but I'm confident he will get going again.

I disagree. I would say "He absolutely has shot poorly as of late" I thought he has done a great job defensively. And he got the offense moving in the last three games. Against Maryland, he couldn't have had too many assists because NOBODY was shooting well. Part of that was that we were working so hard on defense that our offense suffered - Maryland had the same problem.

Mike is on pace to be the first hawkeye to get 200 assists in a season. With all the great pgs iowa has had and it has never happened. I very much want him to get there as he is my favorite type of pg...a pass first, defensive guy. Watch the last few games and he should have had a bunch of assists but Iowa has missed more open shots or been fouled and missed shots on his passes the last few games than they did earlier this year. I think he will have a few more 10+ assist games this year because iowa will hit those shots in the rest of the year.

Well said. Too many people think that if a guy can't shoot he isn't a good player. Gesell is a defensive beast. How many guys have blown by him consistently this year? He's also handling the ball well and has a really good assist to turnover ratio. He can score occasionally, which is really all we need with shooters like Jok, Uthoff, Baer, etc.

He can shoot though. That 15 foot pull up is money and he doesnt take it enough. Iowa is a much better team when Gesell is not forcing **** on offense, but at least takes what the defense gives him. He passes that shot up all the time and he needs to take it. It just gives Iowa another threat.

Mike kinda reminds me of Horner in terms of the criticism he gets. I don't know how they compare statistically and I don't completely remember Horner's game but they both were touted, both were 4 year players who were kinda tasked with building the program and both get/got a lot of flack.

Horner is more respected years later and i kind of feel like Gesell will be too.

Mike kinda reminds me of Horner in terms of the criticism he gets. I don't know how they compare statistically and I don't completely remember Horner's game but they both were touted, both were 4 year players who were kinda tasked with building the program and both get/got a lot of flack.

Horner is more respected years later and i kind of feel like Gesell will be too.

I seem to remember Horner being a better scorer - IIRC he's the school's leader in made 3's, passing Kingsbury at some point. Though it seems that Gesell may be the better defensive player, and maybe a bit quicker to the rim? Just going on memory.

I seem to remember Horner being a better scorer - IIRC he's the school's leader in made 3's, passing Kingsbury at some point. Though it seems that Gesell may be the better defensive player, and maybe a bit quicker to the rim? Just going on memory.

That sounds right.

Sounds right. Horner was a much more aggressive scorer than Gesell, I wish Mike had more of that in him, hes capable

Fran is a bit like KF in a stubborn way when it comes to his players.

Fran will go down with his players before making a change. Saw that with Oglesby.

IF Mike causes us to lose, so be it, Fran won't go away from him.

Fran is a bit like KF in a stubborn way when it comes to his players.

Fran will go down with his players before making a change. Saw that with Oglesby.

IF Mike causes us to lose, so be it, Fran won't go away from him.

There's, like, 9 players who play in a basketball game.

Oglesby averaged like 18 or 19 minutes a game... so about what Dom plays, he was a roll player and Fran used him as such.

Maybe we don't need Mike to score. Anything he does offensively at this point is a bonus with the way Uthoff and Jok are scoring. As long as Mike can shore up his free throws, not turn the ball over and keep playing solid defense..he could probably struggle the rest of this season and we could still make the Sweet 16 or better.

Latest posts