If Gesell continues to struggle....

Iahwk06

I know how Fran is with his starting seniors but what if he made a adjustment in the starting line up. Pretty tough starting 5.

PG Clemons
SG Jok
F Uhl
F Uthoff
C Woodbury

There's is zero chance of this happening IMO. The chemistry, rotations, game flow, etc. are working and are set for the year. Wagner playing a few more minutes a game is the only thing I can see changing down the stretch. Clemmons and Gesell are already sharing the PG duties.

We're 17-4 this season with him as the starting PG this season and 84-41 since he cracked the starting roll when he arrived in IC.

Teh Struggle Is REAL!

Saw a Stat where Clemmons and Gesell have scored the exact same amount of points this year.

Mike's gonna start.

With that said... Mike needs to shot fake.. dribble and then step up to the free throw line for his foul shots. He also needs to never shoot a 3 unless it's off the bounce.

For real though... it's odd how well he shoots it off the bounce but struggles on set shots. It'd take a ton of work but I'd be interested in seeing what his shot % are when you compare his set shots vs. shots off the bounce.

Sure feels like he shoots a much higher percentage of the bounce.

Last edited:
Mike is not a score, but we don't need him to be. If he keeps taking care of the ball and putting guys in a position to score, I really can't think of a single good reason to pull him.

It's not as though Clemmons is a scorer, either. Why not yank him?

The starting five are the starting five for every game this season.

MikeG has had a few games at his C+ level lately: good defense, TO/A ratio good. Meh FT shooting. He'll have two or three really good games coming up.

Seems like between FT line and top of key off dribble he is a sniper. Whether that's true or not? It seems like it.

Mike is not a score, but we don't need him to be. If he keeps taking care of the ball and putting guys in a position to score, I really can't think of a single good reason to pull him.
MikeG needs to be a threat to score.

He's doing fine.

Yeah no chance any starting lineup shuffling will go on. That said MGs play has me really frustrated. He's never been a consistent shooter but man he's gotten worse and clearly less confident in it. The last couple games he's resorted back to his driving head first into traffic with nowhere to go. I hate it when he does that and throws up a wild shot with no chance of going in or a blind cross court pass out of bounds. Tag on that he's not a very good free throw shooter and he's borderline like what Kevin Smith used to be only a better defender. MGs defense has been great and his passing and running of the team for the most part have been awesome. He's just got little offensive game himself. It's just crazy to me that between him and Woody if you'd have asked me who'd have improved their offensive games more from year 1 to now I'd have guessed MG and been wrong.

Saw a Stat where Clemmons and Gesell have scored the exact same amount of points this year.
Clemmons the last few games has started to play like a guy that knows his games are numbered as a senior. He's playing aggressive and looking to shoot more. MG...not so much. I bet I could beat MG in any kind of shooting contest except dunking...ha

Didn't Fran say recently that Gesell had gotten a little dinged up? He's only had a few below average games recently. He averaged 15.5 ppg, 6.5 apg, 1.5 TOpg and was shooting 56% from the floor in the first four games. He's struggled with his shot in four of the last five games, but he's still averaged over 5 apg and played solid defense in those games. In other words, some of you may be overreacting here.

Didn't Fran say recently that Gesell had gotten a little dinged up? He's only had a few below average games recently. He averaged 15.5 ppg, 6.5 apg, 1.5 TOpg and was shooting 56% from the floor in the first four games. He's struggled with his shot in four of the last five games, but he's still averaged over 5 apg and played solid defense in those games. In other words, some of you may be overreacting here.

hamstring I believe.... didn't hear much detail but that he was battling a hamstring.

In Big Ten play, he's averaging 9.8 ppg and 6.6 apg and has a 2.7-to-1 ast/TO ratio in those games.

Good Gawd, this thread comes up every year. Gesell runs the offense better than anyone on the team and it is not even close. He will not be removed from the starting lineup, nor should he be. He has a great A/TO ratio and he is a better than average defender. Next year at this time we will know how important he was to the Iowa team. If we were losing a bunch of games, then you might question the starting lineup, by why eff with success at this point?

I heard a stat on Saturday (before their game) that Marcus Paige was like 1 for his last 22 three point attempts. Should North Carolina bench him?

Players have off games. Players have stretches of off games. Gesell will be fine.

It's just really surprising how bad his shot is. D1 white point guards are almost always lights out shooters.

It's just really surprising how bad his shot is. D1 white point guards are almost always lights out shooters.

His non-3-point jumper is actually very good. Most of his misses lately it seems have been around the rim.

Latest posts