If Cook leaves...

At this point, I'm wondering why everyone wouldn't be back next year, with a chance to advance further in the tourney, and improve skills. Having said that, I"m not a 20 year old basketball player. :)

He's just over 2 rebounds a game shy of averaging a double double. I would say that he is doing something right.

He is NOT a good rebounder. Sorry. He SHOULD be averaging 10 rebounds/game but not a lot of effort or desire apparently. With his hops he could be the Dennis Rodman of college BB. I have said it before. Clay Hargrave led the conference in rebounding and he was only 6' 4".

He COULD be the Reggie Evans of college ball. Reggie averaged 11.5 rebounds for his 2 yr career here which was best in the nation.

Eddie Horton averaged 10.6 rebounds his senior season and he couldn't shoot much either.

4 guys in the conference averaged at least 9 rebounds per game this year. 3 averaged over 10. If Ethan Happ can average 10.1 why can't Tyler? Tyler was tied for 6th at 7.8/game. He would also score more if he rebounded more. Reggie Evans averaged 15+pts/game and he couldn't shoot either. Tyler either needs to develop a short jumper or WORK HARDER on the boards or he will never play at the next level. The jumper isn't going to happen at this point so his only shot is to come back and be a Reggie Evans on the boards and not be so concerned with driving to the hoop.

Last edited:
He is NOT a good rebounder. Sorry. He SHOULD be averaging 10 rebounds/game but not a lot of effort or desire apparently. With his hops he could be the Dennis Rodman of college BB. I have said it before. Clay Hargrave led the conference in rebounding and he was only 6' 4".

He COULD be the Reggie Evans of college ball. Reggie averaged 11.5 rebounds for his 2 yr career here which was best in the nation.

Eddie Horton averaged 10.6 rebounds his senior season and he couldn't shoot much either.

4 guys in the conference averaged at least 9 rebounds per game this year. Tyler was tied for 6th at 7.8/game. He would also score more if he rebounded more. Reggie Evans averaged 15+pts/game and he couldn't shoot either. Tyler either needs to develop a short jumper or work harder on the boards or he will never play at the next level. The jumper isn't going to happen at this point so his only shot is to come back and be a Reggie Evans on the boards and not be so concerned with driving to the hoop.
If you can't shoot, you need to overcome this weakness with great rebounding ability and desire.

3.5 RPG in NCAA, The Big Dance

Shooting - abysmal

I have mixed feelings about Cook staying. He brings an explosiveness around the basket but outside of that he is extremely limited on offense. I actually think a bigger loss is the leaving of Baer. His quickness on defense was one the positives on a team lacking defense.

Cook is the only underclassman that may not come back for insane reasons. The rest are not going anywhere, period, end of story. They enjoy being Hawkeyes and I'm not seeing any of them with the attitude of "if I can't play I am going to take my ball and go home." All teams have players that don't see a lot of court time, I don't understand why we'd want to see them go elsewhere.

Everybody, including those in street clothes were all-in all season long and the success they tasted this season is just going to make them work all the harder for more. And they just went toe to toe with a team full of poster looking athletes. Look at the experience we have returning and how hungry are Pemsl and Nunge going to be to get in on the action! Exciting times ahead.

Thanks HAWKS for a fun season! Fully expecting much more next year.

I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced Cook is gone. Is it just because he tested the waters last year. He isn't going to the NBA. He could make some money in Europe, but at this point, get your degree, Europe ball will be there after next year as well. Leaving with the hopes of getting drafted in the NBA will be a huge mistake. Besides TC said last year there were only two choices, the NBA or Iowa. If those are the same two this year, he will be back at Iowa.

4 guys in the conference averaged at least 9 rebounds per game this year. 3 averaged over 10. If Ethan Happ can average 10.1 why can't Tyler? Tyler was tied for 6th at 7.8/game. He would also score more if he rebounded more. Reggie Evans averaged 15+pts/game and he couldn't shoot either. Tyler either needs to develop a short jumper or WORK HARDER on the boards or he will never play at the next level. The jumper isn't going to happen at this point so his only shot is to come back and be a Reggie Evans on the boards and not be so concerned with driving to the hoop.

Ed Horton also--like Cook--enjoyed the coast-to-coast-look-at-me-I'm-a-point-guard adventures from time to time.

Ed Horton also--like Cook--enjoyed the coast-to-coast-look-at-me-I'm-a-point-guard adventures from time to time.
Must been when BJ guarded a small forward on defense. Remember that? Davis would switch Armstrong over to small forward when Thompson went out and Brian Garner would run the point, all to save Roy Marble's energy for offense. When Thompson was declared ineligible for the tournament Davis wouldn't budge. BJ guarded Rodney Monroe more than Marble did. Monroe went off for 40 and hit big shot after big shot. Iowa, with Marble, Armstrong, Horton and Matt Bullard, never got out of the first weekend.

Wow hearing you throw out Clay’s name triggered memories of other names; Bruce, Dick, Kenny, Kevin, Tommy, Ronnie, the two special K’s, Vince, Lute Lute Lute. A lot of good memories there.

I think we could lose Dailey, Cook, and Pemsl. Dailey as a transfer out for more playing time, Cook to play for pay somewhere or as a grad transfer depending on where he is with his degree, and Pemsl as a transfer out for a fresh start and more playing time. Dailey isn't going to get time at the 1 or 2 with Moss, Wieskamp, Bohannon, McCaffery, and likely Touissant and Frederick in front of him. Whether or not Cook stays I think Pemsl has fallen down the depth chart with the way Garza and Kreiner have played this year and Nunge coming back stronger than before.

Cook coming back creates issues because it is hard to keep his athletic ability and explosiveness off the floor despite his propensity to turn it over when he puts the ball on the floor. We would miss Cook's physical gifts but I think we have more than enough scoring and rebounding ability to replace his production. I'll leave you with this: In the last 5 games, going back to the Nebraska debacle, Cook has averaged 10 points and 4.5 reb per game. True he did jumpstart the rally against Tennessee but why should everyone have to wait for moments like that for the alleged best player on the team (also an all-conference performer) to show up in March? Iowa doesn't need him to come back and personally I don't think he wants to come back.

Latest posts