If Cook leaves...

Bottom-line, would love EVERYONE to come back. We would have 13 players who all have something significant to add to team. BUT, if a couple do leave, we have plenty of pieces to plug in.

By contrast, 4 straight years (Lick), our leading scorer TRANSFERRED, with not much else behind them

I think we could lose Dailey, Cook, and Pemsl. Dailey as a transfer out for more playing time, Cook to play for pay somewhere or as a grad transfer depending on where he is with his degree, and Pemsl as a transfer out for a fresh start and more playing time. Dailey isn't going to get time at the 1 or 2 with Moss, Wieskamp, Bohannon, McCaffery, and likely Touissant and Frederick in front of him. Whether or not Cook stays I think Pemsl has fallen down the depth chart with the way Garza and Kreiner have played this year and Nunge coming back stronger than before.

Cook coming back creates issues because it is hard to keep his athletic ability and explosiveness off the floor despite his propensity to turn it over when he puts the ball on the floor. We would miss Cook's physical gifts but I think we have more than enough scoring and rebounding ability to replace his production. I'll leave you with this: In the last 5 games, going back to the Nebraska debacle, Cook has averaged 10 points and 4.5 reb per game. True he did jumpstart the rally against Tennessee but why should everyone have to wait for moments like that for the alleged best player on the team (also an all-conference performer) to show up in March? Iowa doesn't need him to come back and personally I don't think he wants to come back.

I highly doubt Cook is going to get his undergrad in just three years and be able to transfer as a graduate transfer. Possible, but doubtful. He is best served to come back, get better and get a degree.

Latest posts