I WAS getting excited about this season but...

I'd wait they have a game under their belts before you starting making claims like this.

No I don't think so. We are talking about their athletism (sp?), not whether or not they are better basketball players. Like I said Cole is most likely the better basketball player (most likely because we haven't seen Olesani play a game yet), but Olesani clearly has the more athletism, he is taller, longer, jumps higher, and is faster than Cole was. That is fact if you went to their open practice or have seen any video of him. He is not neccessarily a better player than Cole, but he is more athletic.
This is what is odd to me about the OP. He says the Hawks are not getting more athletic as a team, which I disagree with. To say that the new players, while they may not be better basketball players at this time, Fran is not trying to make this team more athletic is flat out wrong to me. Case and point, Basabe was the most athletic player on the team last year, Cartwright and Archie probably close behind. Does that make them the best players on the court? Not neccessarily, but the pure athletics of these players is an increase in what we previously had. I don't see why there should be any argument on that.

I don't think anyone is going to confuse this team with the Runnin' Rebels from the late 80's, but relative to what we have seen in Iowa City the past few years, this team certainly should be an upgrade. I am not sure what your buddy saw, but Marble, Cartwright, Olaseni, May, White and Gatens are not sloths. I can see where a lineup with certain 2 and 3 deeps might appear a bit sluggish, but we have at least 6-7 solid athletes on this team vs. maybe 2-3 in years past.

I think everybody understood what i was saying about Woody, Gessell isnt as athletic as say Paige or the kid from Ames, but i believe will be a GREAT floor general!!He has the the right mindset to go along with the skills he has. I'm sure Myers is no triathalon athlete either, just dont know what you and your friend expect?? Guys we're bringing in arent great athletes any better than we have!! Maybe more skilled basketball players....yes .......athletes I dont see it!! I have doubts about this coaches evaluation of an athlete compared to a skilled basketball player!

Basketballman
Never even seen Kale play. Someone who was a four year starter for Iowa that is close toKale (sure you can figure that out) said as much so I believe him over all these message board trolls

I don't doubt that if we'd started recruiting him earlier, we'd probably have gotten him. Which is probably what you were told. That doesn't mean he's what Fran is (or should be) looking for.

I was beginning to get cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season, but then I talked to a high school coach I know who sat in on a couple Iowa practices a week or so ago.

He told me that the team looks extremely slow and unathletic compared to other teams he has seen.

Not that this guy is some end-all/know-all, but it is depressing that we don't target better athletes for this program. I thought that it might change some with Coach Fran, but it still seems like we aren't really targeting anybody who breaks the mold of the traditional Iowa player.

Huh?

I'd call this guy retarded if it wasn't politically incorrect to do so.

Buy or sell this post?

Sell.
Couldn't pay someone to buy this thread, what a load of crap.....

The Hawks will be fine this year and will surprise the faithful, along with the trolls who will Not be heard from when we do very well this year.....

Go Away, Troll.....

Begone.....

:)

I was beginning to get cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season, but then I talked to a high school coach I know who sat in on a couple Iowa practices a week or so ago.

He told me that the team looks extremely slow and unathletic compared to other teams he has seen.

Not that this guy is some end-all/know-all, but it is depressing that we don't target better athletes for this program. I thought that it might change some with Coach Fran, but it still seems like we aren't really targeting anybody who breaks the mold of the traditional Iowa player.[/QUOTE]

Do you know anything about our recruits or those we are recruiting? No need to comment; the answer is clearly 'no'.

What do you know about the recruits? That they came to Iowa and they must be great, even though no other major conference team wanted them? Iowa's record recently flies in the face of elite talent pouring into this program as a happenstance. It will be at least another year until Iowa sees progress. To think differently is just asanine.

I'm excited about this season. We won't be that good (again) but I'm as excited as ever.

without seeing them in a game nobody can call them unathletic, it is not the more athletic team that wins. it is the team that play together that wins, last i checked it is not a track meet

We sure do have a few basketball scholars posting within this thread. Give me skill, discipline, and kids that wanna win over athletic premodonnas (spelling?) anyday. No. We're not gonna win the NCCAs this year. No. We're not gonna win the BIG this year. But cmon folks. Wake up and realize its NOT all about kids being rated a 4 star or whatever. For every 4 star kid that has made it....there are many more that strikeout. Ever think that just maybe a MOTIVATED 3 star kid will outshine a 4 star in the right environment? Believe it or not...it happens. Been watchin the AAU circuit for years. The "star" system? Sure, it's a decent gauge, however, it also has many, many flaws to it. Whose those 3 athletic clowns down in Miami that were suppose to win the next 4 NBA titles? How'd all that athleticism workout against the slow and old Mavs this year? Hmmmmm....

GO HAWKEYES!

Jeebus, some of you people are ridiculous! We have a HUGE infusion of talent coming in next year's class. You can't turn around a program just like that, especially considering how far Lickliter drove the program into the ground. Have some ******* patience!

I don't think anyone is going to confuse this team with the Runnin' Rebels from the late 80's, but relative to what we have seen in Iowa City the past few years, this team certainly should be an upgrade. I am not sure what your buddy saw, but Marble, Cartwright, Olaseni, May, White and Gatens are not sloths. I can see where a lineup with certain 2 and 3 deeps might appear a bit sluggish, but we have at least 6-7 solid athletes on this team vs. maybe 2-3 in years past.

We're not? I better call the car dealership...no more hanging out in my hottub either.

We sure do have a few basketball scholars posting within this thread. Give me skill, discipline, and kids that wanna win over athletic premodonnas (spelling?) anyday. No. We're not gonna win the NCCAs this year. No. We're not gonna win the BIG this year. But cmon folks. Wake up and realize its NOT all about kids being rated a 4 star or whatever. For every 4 star kid that has made it....there are many more that strikeout. Ever think that just maybe a MOTIVATED 3 star kid will outshine a 4 star in the right environment? Believe it or not...it happens. Been watchin the AAU circuit for years. The "star" system? Sure, it's a decent gauge, however, it also has many, many flaws to it. Whose those 3 athletic clowns down in Miami that were suppose to win the next 4 NBA titles? How'd all that athleticism workout against the slow and old Mavs this year? Hmmmmm....

GO HAWKEYES!
There you have it.....

:)