I think we all know

I can't find the article, but I'm pretty sure the lead official from that game was in fact fired after ConfUSA reviewed the game. Am I wrong?

I can't find the article, but I'm pretty sure the lead official from that game was in fact fired after ConfUSA reviewed the game. Am I wrong?

I don't know about fired. But what I do know is because of that game, there was a rule put into place that, moving forward, no refs from a G5 conference could ref games involving 2 P5 conferences ever again.

I don't know about fired. But what I do know is because of that game, there was a rule put into place that, moving forward, no refs from a G5 conference could ref games involving 2 P5 conferences ever again.
Also, weren't 2 or 3 of the officials Florida Alumni? I remember someone that was at the game saying that he/she running into the officials at the hotel or something along those lines.

I don't know if he was fired, but after that season, he went on to the NFL and is still there as an umpire. He has auditioned to be a white hat in the past and will audition again this year.

Last edited:
Still the worst officiating I have ever seen. That video also omits the uncalled 12th man, where the Florida guy runs right past the Linesman who is supposed to call those.

Ok, but what is with that insanity in the last half of the video. Some dark, dystopian music overlaying a confusing patchwork of clips from the game. It is as if the producer of the video made the first half, became so pissed off re-living what the officials did, so he appended his video with this ranting mess.

So is Herbstreit, another class act from OSU.

Watching him tear apart Cowherd about Iowa was a thing of beauty.
I've been up and down on Herby. But that being the case probably means he's more fair than not. I remember his take on what all Cowherd had said a couple yrs ago. So yeah he had our backs on all that made up drama Cowherd tried to stir up. Cowherd ranting about us 'not being worthy' or however he worded it wouldn't be that big of a deal if he didn't actually have some sway. Unfortunately that perception crept into a lot of peoples heads that didn't know any better and that's what pisses me off about it.

Didn't those refs get in trouble with the NCAA? I also recall that those refs after the game were in the hotel lounge where they were staying and and Iowa fan saw them and approached them calling them every name in the book (not sure if that is an urban myth or true??

This was 12 years ago and this fan base is still talking about it. Since then that same team beat the hawks 30-3 in the same bowl and won multiple national titles. And we call cyclone fans little brother syndrome fan base. It was a meaning less bowl game over a decade ago. Get over it and worry more about a Hawkeye Men’s athletic dept that won ZERO conference titles this last year. To me that’s a heck of a more pressing issue than a meaningless bowl game in which if the hawks do get the onside kick and score that only means the game would be tied.

This was 12 years ago and this fan base is still talking about it. Since then that same team beat the hawks 30-3 in the same bowl and won multiple national titles. And we call cyclone fans little brother syndrome fan base. It was a meaning less bowl game over a decade ago. Get over it and worry more about a Hawkeye Men’s athletic dept that won ZERO conference titles this last year. To me that’s a heck of a more pressing issue than a meaningless bowl game in which if the hawks do get the onside kick and score that only means the game would be tied.
Maybe Gary Barta aka @InGoodCo can chime in on this matter.

For one thing it just wasn't right or fair.
For another thing, bowl games (that people don't actually watch) leave an impression on people.
Maybe not like winning a national title, but they absolutely affect recruiting.
Lastly that game should not have even been close. Called fair, we win by plus 14.
5 specific (blatant) calls.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.gainesville.com/article/20060105/News/604163270?template=ampart

Last edited:

Latest posts