I think Kirk is stuck in a time warp

Disagree. They were one of the three best OL's in the league at that time. Losing Scherff was huge. Losing Scherff and NOT having Rogers these last two games has been critical. Two best blockers on the team

80th in nation in rushing yards per attempt... is not a sign of a good Oline.... 88th in the nation rushing per game...is not sign of a good OLine
63rd in sacks allow and 66th in the nation in sacks yards for loss.... ...... Not a good Oline
And who did we put up these stellar numbers on? NIll, UNI, ISU, Cent Mich, Minnesota

Not going for it late, it makes sense when you have a defense like Iowa had in 2002-2004 or 2008-2010. But it doesn't make sense when you have a defense like Iowa has this year. Its as if he forgets the make up of his current teams.

I'm working on a time machine. When it's perfected I'm transporting Kirk to the B1G back when it was known as the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" conference. Iowa will win multiple national titles with Kirk when I accomplish this marvelous task.

Jon:

What is Kirk doing running the power formation when he knows it is going to get stuffed? He is training his linemen to block it for 2014 when the team is ready to win again. It is about game reps. This is how he developed the 2002 line from a bunch of skinny guys everybody overlooked. This is how he developed the 2008 and 2009 line. It is what he knows and one major reason for the big drop offs. Run it over and over, have guys like Blythe wiff on players and get backs blown up. After 2 years of that, he will be stronger and have learned how not to whiff on guys.

This is just the normal KF rebuilding mode. I thought you finally got that.

It is not just recruiting. It is also the model of player and team development.

Seriously, the fans are the ones with dementia. There is a clear pattern with NO DEVIATION!

This is interesting and I can see the logic here. But its all about the OLine - KF = tunnel vision. Seems that this logic could be used at other positions too but it doesn't seem to be. Of course KF will never stoop to explain his thinking.

Fans just need to be patient. Iowa will be contending for a bowl in another 2-3 years. Have faith!

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I would argue it doesnt make sense no matter the defense...especially with the current offense. There wasnt enough time left!!!

Really mad

Right. His decisions are wrong ALL of the time. When is the last time you thought his decision was actually the right one?

I used to believe he still had time to get "up-to-speed" with how the game has evolved over the last few decades....and to start modifying his program to utilize what he manages to find out there in terms of talent.....so we could put teams away that stand in this program's way.

I'm sad to say it appears his chances to shake everything up with a fresh new attitude/outlook, thereby reviving the program's success and energy, are fading fast.......
Like real ******* fast..........

Right. His decisions are wrong ALL of the time. When is the last time you thought his decision was actually the right one?

You picked the wrong guy to rail on here. Walker has been one of Ferentz's biggest supporters on this site the past few weeks. He's wavered a little in the wake of today's performance.

Jon:

What is Kirk doing running the power formation when he knows it is going to get stuffed? He is training his linemen to block it for 2014 when the team is ready to win again. It is about game reps. This is how he developed the 2002 line from a bunch of skinny guys everybody overlooked. This is how he developed the 2008 and 2009 line. It is what he knows and one major reason for the big drop offs. Run it over and over, have guys like Blythe wiff on players and get backs blown up. After 2 years of that, he will be stronger and have learned how not to whiff on guys.

This is just the normal KF rebuilding mode. I thought you finally got that.

It is not just recruiting. It is also the model of player and team development.

Seriously, the fans are the ones with dementia. There is a clear pattern with NO DEVIATION!

Of course there is no deviation when you change the pattern accordingly to meet your new model. Until 2010 it was at least 9 wins in the "upward" trend...and in the previous "3 year cycle" on the "upward trend" years...it was no less than 10.

Definitely no deviation.

Not going for it late, it makes sense when you have a defense like Iowa had in 2002-2004 or 2008-2010. But it doesn't make sense when you have a defense like Iowa has this year. Its as if he forgets the make up of his current teams.

Yep, when Kirk (as expected) decided NOT to go for it on 4th and 1, down 3 with only 4 minutes left to go, I instantly said "Well, that's the old ball game" because with this year's defense, I didn't think we'd get the ball back. Certainly not with enough time left to have a chance to do anything. Nice call, Kirk.

Not that I have any faith in our offense, but as you said, Kirk seems to think it's 2004 or 2009 where we actually have a defense that can get off the field and get the ball back to our O.

I

I'm sad to say it appears his chances to shake everything up with a fresh new attitude/outlook, thereby reviving the program's success and energy, are fading fast.......
Like real ******* fast..........

Yep, he missed the opportunity to retool his approach to the game last year with the coaching changes. He probably didn't even consider getting in tune with the modern game. He definitely chose coaches that ensured he maintained the boring, ineffective status quo.

IOwa is not going to get to the next level, until this coach decides to take a risk and go for it on 4th and inches. His gambles this year are not paying off. No guts, no glory, fits this coach. I am tired of his conservative, and playing the percetages game his career. Same excusesgame after game. Telling teh media and fans, that he thought about going for it, but decides to play the percetages, then it comes back to bite him. Does he ever learn? we all love this coach. He is a good man by all accounts, but he has not taken this team to the next level. I don't want to hear, but this iowa, we can't get recruits here. YES we can. Wisc can do it, we can do it.

Ferentz is unfortunately doing to Iowa what Paterno did to Penn State by staying too long once the game passed him by. They are set in their ways and are too stubborn to change in a significant way.

IOwa is not going to get to the next level, until this coach decides to take a risk and go for it on 4th and inches. His gambles this year are not paying off. No guts, no glory, fits this coach. I am tired of his conservative, and playing the percetages game his career. Same excusesgame after game. Telling teh media and fans, that he thought about going for it, but decides to play the percetages, then it comes back to bite him. Does he ever learn? we all love this coach. He is a good man by all accounts, but he has not taken this team to the next level. I don't want to hear, but this iowa, we can't get recruits here. YES we can. Wisc can do it, we can do it.

Agreed 100%.

Kirk tells us all the time that he "thought about" going for it..... but didn't. He "thought about" going for the win in regulation @OSU in 2009. He "thought about" playing Rudock down 31 in the 4th against PSU. He "thought about" going for it on 4th and inches yesterday. Thinking about doing something, and doing it, are too different things. I also "thought about" getting off my butt and cleaning the house yesterday too, but doesn't mean I didn't spend all day watching football!

And regarding your last sentence - spot on. I'm tired of the excuses about why we shouldn't expect more. IOWA has proven in the past that it can get to Rose Bowls, BCS games, be a ranked team, etc. I don't see many, if any, people on these boards asking for national titles. Just would like to be where we were in the 1980's and early 90's, or earlier in the 2000's. We weren't winning titles then, either.. But we still won conference titles, played in Rose/Orange bowls, and had a couple of opportunities to MAYBE play our way into a shot at a national title (1985, 2002, 2009). I'd be plenty happy with what Iowa has achieved in its past.

7-5, 6-6, or worse.... Thanks but no thanks. The program is better than that.

Yep, when Kirk (as expected) decided NOT to go for it on 4th and 1, down 3 with only 4 minutes left to go, I instantly said "Well, that's the old ball game" because with this year's defense, I didn't think we'd get the ball back. Certainly not with enough time left to have a chance to do anything. Nice call, Kirk.

Not that I have any faith in our offense, but as you said, Kirk seems to think it's 2004 or 2009 where we actually have a defense that can get off the field and get the ball back to our O.

Agreed, we all said the same thing. Maybe we would have gotten the first down and done nothing with it after that, at least it would have given the offense a boost of confidence. I am guessing Kirk felt losing 24-20 was better than losing at worst 31-20.

This has to be the worst offense I have seen at Iowa. Totally vanilla. No imagination. This is an offensive scheme that Iowa doesn't have players for. It makes no sense to run it. You run with what you have, not what you wish you had. Totally rediculus.

Latest posts