I think Kirk is stuck in a time warp

Kirk makes the conservative decision 99% of the time - I didn't like it in 2002... or 2009 when against OSU we played for OT

point being - kirk has always played it like this and it always pisses me off.

Jon:

What is Kirk doing running the power formation when he knows it is going to get stuffed? He is training his linemen to block it for 2014 when the team is ready to win again. It is about game reps. This is how he developed the 2002 line from a bunch of skinny guys everybody overlooked. This is how he developed the 2008 and 2009 line. It is what he knows and one major reason for the big drop offs. Run it over and over, have guys like Blythe wiff on players and get backs blown up. After 2 years of that, he will be stronger and have learned how not to whiff on guys.

This is just the normal KF rebuilding mode. I thought you finally got that.

It is not just recruiting. It is also the model of player and team development.

Seriously, the fans are the ones with dementia. There is a clear pattern with NO DEVIATION!

Is it basketball season yet? Oh, it starts tomorrow? Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallllllllleeeeeeeluuuuuuuuuuujahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Jon:

What is Kirk doing running the power formation when he knows it is going to get stuffed? He is training his linemen to block it for 2014 when the team is ready to win again. It is about game reps. This is how he developed the 2002 line from a bunch of skinny guys everybody overlooked. This is how he developed the 2008 and 2009 line. It is what he knows and one major reason for the big drop offs. Run it over and over, have guys like Blythe wiff on players and get backs blown up. After 2 years of that, he will be stronger and have learned how not to whiff on guys.

Seriously, the fans are the ones with dementia. There is a clear pattern with NO DEVIATION!

So if he's written this season off and is conceding loss to prepare for the future why doesn't he play the qb of the future?

I'm getting tired of watching all these other qb's make good throws to receivers in stride or where they can catch it without jumping or going to the ground to get it. Where can we get one of those qb's? I know he looked somewhat better today, but it's still tiresome. And the playcalling? Absolutely terrible, run right, run right, 5 yard out leads to 3 and out. Next possession, run right, 5 yard out, run right leads to 3 and out. Next possession, 5 yard out, run right, run right. You get the picture. You'd think after getting stuffed 10 times in a row running right on the same play that you'd try something different.

So if he's written this season off and is conceding loss to prepare for the future why doesn't he play the qb of the future?

He has to play younger guys at other positions because of injuries. JVB isn't coming out unless injured. It would be nice to see a back up get some time, but not because of injury.

Disagree. They were one of the three best OL's in the league at that time. Losing Scherff was huge. Losing Scherff and NOT having Rogers these last two games has been critical. Two best blockers on the team

That is just because the B1G is so absolutely horrible! They have the potential of becoming a very good line. But, even when healthy, they aren't to the level of the strongest recent Iowa lines, nor the type of line that Iowa needs to have the type of record we all want.

I would argue it doesnt make sense no matter the defense...especially with the current offense. There wasnt enough time left!!!

Really mad

Kirk was still playing the field position game with 3 minutes left in the game. Once they got the ball back they only needed 2 1st downs to end the game. It didn't matter if they got them from their 30 or ours.

The hell with it, who cares anymore. There will always be an excuse and stupidity that goes along with this program. I am watching K-State run an offense that is borderline genius and surgical they way they move the ball and they don't have any more talent than we do. I wish Ferentz would of left for the NFL years ago now. He can't coach anymore.

Colin Klein has more offense than our entire offensive 2 deep combined. If our offense wasn't playing like they had shackles around their legs that might not be the case.

Jon:

If the fans are expected to flush about one season out of every three or four, why the hell am I wasting all this time and money to buy season tickets and go to games in Kinnick, if what I'm watching, basically, are a set of (very) expensive practice sessions?

I don't buy that line of reasoning, because if that's true we'd be seeing guys like Rudock this season, and Drew Ott earlier in this season, and so on. Even worse, we're watching a team not only NOT improve this season, but actually look worse with time. That's on coaching--even a talent-poor squad should at least LOOK better as the season wears on.

I agree with Mr Miller--KF's approach is a Studebaker in a Ferrari world. Not only is this not likely to give us many wins at this point, it's not attractive to players who are considering whether to come here or not.

Not going for it late, it makes sense when you have a defense like Iowa had in 2002-2004 or 2008-2010. But it doesn't make sense when you have a defense like Iowa has this year. Its as if he forgets the make up of his current teams.

Iowa will be starting from scratch with a new qb next year. Every one else in their division will have an experienced qb. Iowa will be picked dead last in the division next year.

I guess maybe in 2 years we can compete again..

Iowa needs to play another qb the last 3 games, maybe a couple of them. Practice for next year should start now.

Hayden was a legend and earned a couple of years of grace that didn't make sense for our team at the end. We are the worst coached team in the country currently and it is for totally different reasons than Hayden's last couple of years.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise of this post.

I've yet to see Coach Ferentz jump to the left,

and then step to the ri-i-i-i-ight.

Not going for it late, it makes sense when you have a defense like Iowa had in 2002-2004 or 2008-2010. But it doesn't make sense when you have a defense like Iowa has this year. Its as if he forgets the make up of his current teams.

It makes more sense I suppose but IMO the call is always to go for it in that situation.

Its used to be said that Kirk "plays the percentages" but he really doesn't. The percentages are overwhelming in your favor to go for it there vs giving the ball away and then trying to get it back. Just like the percentages of winning were highly tilted in favor of trying to score in regulation 09 at the shoe

Really he just does the same thing no matter what.

Latest posts