I Think He's Going.

Another way to look at it:

KF is 56 years old. As has been laid out, this is the closest thing to the "right fit" ever. Maybe he only wants to coach another 5-10 years and then retire. low-mid 60's is not crazy to retire, and not every coach wants to do it til death. Worst case scenario is he gets canned after 3 years and retires a few years early. He won't exactly be hurting for money, and would be able to get a couple 100K paycheck just about anywhere if he needed it.

I still don't think he will, but never before has it made this much sense.

The way I see it is this job will show his desire to coach the NFL. If he doesn't take this job. (and I don't think he will myself and that's assuming it is offered) he doesn't want to be an NFL head coach.

In my mind, the only reason he would take an NFL job is for the challenge of it as his situation is better here.

The way I see it is this job will show his desire to coach the NFL. If he doesn't take this job. (and I don't think he will myself and that's assuming it is offered) he doesn't want to be an NFL head coach.

In my mind, the only reason he would take an NFL job is for the challenge of it as his situation is better here.

Nailed it

The sleaze I was talking about is mainly the way opposing coaches lie and cheat to get 4 and especially 5 star recruits and then the entitlement that these highly ranked recruits bring with them in the way they break rules. statistically there are way more 2-3 star recruits so I wasnt making a claim that only 5 star recruits get into trouble.

Opposing coaches are not lying and cheating to get 2-3 star recruits. I would say that the entitlement that some top stars have grown up with lead a higher percentage of them to get money, gifts, etc that are rule breakers.

Nailed it

The only reason he'd take the KC job is if he's ready to retire soon. Cause he wouldn't last more than a couple years in Kansas City. Then what? Iowa City wouldn't exactly be a comfortable place for him to "come back to". And it's pretty much home for his family now.

As mentioned, the scrutiny in the NFL (regardless of city) is much, much more intense than college...even in a fishbowl like Iowa City. His brand of football, play-calling, clock management, etc would get him crucified by the NFL talking heads.

If KF went to the chiefs why couldnt he come back to Iowa City later, what wouldnt be comfortable about Iowa City. As far as his brand of football, his brand of football looks alot like the bears, jets, ravens, and some others with tough defense, tampa 2 zone, run the ball and play action. He certainly could hire a top notch OC at KC. If Crennel stayed at DC he would have a good defense. I think if ferentz had the good offensive line, running backs, etc and OC to go with a great Defense he would have very good success in the pros. He could hire a clock and game mgmt coach to whisper in the headphones just like a baseball bench coach.

He's not stepping anywhere into the flames of the NFL as the head coach. I don't think he could handle the scrutiny from the media. Furthermore, Ferentz is currently making house visits with recruits. That's hardly the moves a guy would make if he was looking to leave. He knows how good he has it in Iowa City.

Nailed it

twss.jpg

I think Ferentz could win at KC and stick around for awhile. I still think money would play a role. It always has with Ferentz. If he goes to the playoffs 2 of his first 3 to 4 years his agent will get him an extension and probably $5+ per year. $3.8M vs $5.2M adds up over 8 years.

I think Ferentz could win at KC and stick around for awhile. I still think money would play a role. It always has with Ferentz. If he goes to the playoffs 2 of his first 3 to 4 years his agent will get him an extension and probably $5+ per year. $3.8M vs $5.2M adds up over 8 years.

In your scenario he has to make the playoffs 2 of his 1st 3 or 4 years to get a serious pay raise. Making the playoffs is not easy...if he coaches for 8 more years he will make more money in Iowa City

His brand of football, play-calling, clock management, etc would get him crucified by the NFL talking heads.

As the sole O'Keefe defender on this board, I will say it again. The lack of diversity in play calling, knees to end the half, lack of 2 minute drill, etc. are, in my opinion, a very strong function of limited practice times in college. Ferentz is a guy who is all about execution, not flash, and he will likely focus on the same set of plays over and over in practice until he is confident in his guys' ability to execute them the way he wants them to be executed - that is why we have the 8 play Tecmo Super Bowl playbook on offense. That gets thrown out the window in the NFL where you can push guys a helluva lot more in practice and where guys come in with baseline fundamentals in place. He ain't gonna be busy turning Sash from 2 star HS recruit to NFL guy, he'll already have NFL guys.

If the Chiefs want to model a team after the Steelers or Ravens with a good defense and ball control offense, Ferentz would be the perfect guy assuming Cowher ain't on the market.

In your scenario he has to make the playoffs 2 of his 1st 3 or 4 years to get a serious pay raise. Making the playoffs is not easy...if he coaches for 8 more years he will make more money in Iowa City

Making the playoffs isn't exactly going to be a crap shoot in the AFC West either. If Ferentz lasts 8 years in KC vs 8 years in Iowa City he makes more money in KC.

Making the playoffs isn't exactly going to be a crap shoot in the AFC West either. If Ferentz lasts 8 years in KC vs 8 years in Iowa City he makes more money in KC.

I dont know, the AFC West has some of the best QB play in the entire league

Obviously he makes more money given the same amount of years but how many coaches make it 8 years at one job? Not very many

What really is frustrating me about this whole situation is that KF, the Chiefs market, and Hawkeyenation realize that KF is at the top of the list. I think KF owes it to the Iowa faithful to come out and put these rumors and speculation to rest...it not only creates uncertainty for those in the program but also for those recruits considering Iowa. If KF is going to go to KC he needs to come out and get it over with...if he's going to stay at Iowa he needs to come out ASAP and emphasize his commitment to the Hawks. The last thing we need is to learn in the offseason that KF is out of here and we are left picking from a bunch of division II coaches to come to Iowa.

What really is frustrating me about this whole situation is that KF, the Chiefs market, and Hawkeyenation realize that KF is at the top of the list. I think KF owes it to the Iowa faithful to come out and put these rumors and speculation to rest...it not only creates uncertainty for those in the program but also for those recruits considering Iowa. If KF is going to go to KC he needs to come out and get it over with...if he's going to stay at Iowa he needs to come out ASAP and emphasize his commitment to the Hawks. The last thing we need is to learn in the offseason that KF is out of here and we are left picking from a bunch of division II coaches to come to Iowa.

He is just making Barta sweat. We will soon learn that he has a super-duper lifetime contract (2025) with a sweet raise (around 5 mil per year) making him the 2nd highest salaried college coach only trailing the Mackster. 90% of the fan base will think it a brilliant move and remark on how he puts players in the NFL.

Oh yeah, and his new Defensive Coordinator will make $239,501.

Latest posts