I know winning on the road is tough but man

slightly above average comparable to our peers.
slightly above average compared to our peers when you include Iowa’s non-conference road games against non tournament teams.

Now do B1G road records only. Also do point differentials.

Stats are funny that way.

Iowa is about to go down the annual slide for an NIT bid. Fran just isn't a great coach.

That take is a tad extreme this season don't ya think? Cook/Moss left early. Bohannon, Nunge, Patrick out for the year with injuries. Fredrick in and out with injuries. Pemsl suspended and largely worthless after multiple surgeries. Yet Iowa is still in the top half of the big ten standings and has been ranked in the top 25 most of the year.

Its just a bad luck year. They should still make the dance, but I think a 7-8 seed is way more likely now than a 5-6 seed....which sucks.

slightly above average compared to our peers when you include Iowa’s non-conference road games against non tournament teams.

Now do B1G road records only. Also do point differentials.

Stats are funny that way.

let's just include them all, which I am doing. Why cherry pick at all. Iowa is tied for the 4th best league road record in the league this season up to this point. Now, they may not end up tied for 4th, but I imagine they'll probably end up with 6th or 7th best road record as far as all the other B1G teams when all said done. So, as I've said, I don't know, at least 3 or 4 times, slightly above average compared to their peers. I am not arguing that Iowa is a good road team. They are not.

let's just include them all, which I am doing. Why cherry pick at all. Iowa is tied for the 4th best league road record in the league this season up to this point. Now, they may not end up tied for 4th, but I imagine they'll probably end up with 6th or 7th best road record as far as all the other B1G teams when all said done. So, as I've said, I don't know, at least 3 or 4 times, slightly above average compared to their peers. I am not arguing that Iowa is a good road team. They are not.
Non conference schedules are tough to compare. Some teams don’t even play a true road game. Some teams only play one. Some teams play a mid major on the road some teams play a P6 team. Iowa played and beat two teams that rank outside of the KenPom top 60 in the non conference. I don’t think that means much personally but that’s your stance I guess.

Non conference schedules are tough to compare. Some teams don’t even play a true road game. Some teams only play one. Some teams play a mid major on the road some teams play a P6 team. Iowa played and beat two teams that rank outside of the KenPom top 60 in the non conference. I don’t think that means much personally but that’s your stance I guess.

Oh yeah, if you wanna say other teams have harder road schedule or better road wins, I am fully in agreement with you. Again, not arguing that Iowa is a good road team. I said compared to their peers road records it's likely to end up slightly above average. Maybe just average, maybe below, I dunno yet, but at this point, it's slightly above.

We beat Cincinnati and Texas Tech on neutral courts. Both of those teams will be playing in the NCAA tournament. We beat Syracuse on the road and they've turned it on as of late and could make the NCAA tournament. The road win against ISU no longer looks that good unfortunately. Overall it was a solid non-conference slate for Iowa both with the good wins and avoiding bad losses.

I think we've had really bad luck on the road too. CJ being out the 2nd half of the Penn State game killed us. We actually played pretty good that game. If we are talking about how we play on the road, I'd point to Michigan and Penn State as examples of at least playing decent. CJ being out against Nebraska killed us. That was just bad luck. But either way we played bad that game, even if we would have snuck out a win. Last night against Indiana was a mixture of one guy getting really hot and having a terrible roster available. We had 2 walkons playing extended minutes at the same time. I'm sorry, but last night had nothing to do with "playing bad on the road". Our regulars outside of Garza (mostly Wieskamp and CJ while he was available) didn't play good. But I wouldn't say it was bad.

Road wins in the Big Ten are like snowballs in July, not many of them. This goes back to the Lute Olsen days. Iowa just needed to beat one of two road teams to win the Big Ten. Didn't. Famous Jim Bain game. It's always been hard, that why games like the win at MSU after Street's death or the Roy Marble comeback over Illinois are so memorable. Against teams like Indiana the tip in win, or JBo's cold blooded 3 against Wisconsin it just doesn't happen very often. I never count a road game in the Big as a win ahead of time. The conference has just too much pride and tradition.

Road wins in the Big Ten are like snowballs in July, not many of them. This goes back to the Lute Olsen days. Iowa just needed to beat one of two road teams to win the Big Ten. Didn't. Famous Jim Bain game. It's always been hard, that why games like the win at MSU after Street's death or the Roy Marble comeback over Illinois are so memorable. Against teams like Indiana the tip in win, or JBo's cold blooded 3 against Wisconsin it just doesn't happen very often. I never count a road game in the Big as a win ahead of time. The conference has just too much pride and tradition.
What this conference has, and has had for decades, is crappy officiating. The B1G is well known for it. That's why it's so difficult to win on the road and has been since Lute's days. Subpar officiating, influenced by home crowds, will benefit the home team almost every time.

Iowa has 4 road wins, the best road team in the conference, Penn State, has 5. Iowa is a better than average road team this season. Don’t let any dip shit tell ya different

Iowa has 4 road wins, the best road team in the conference, Penn State, has 5. Iowa is a better than average road team this season. Don’t let any dip shit tell ya different

If we just beat stupid Nebraska we would be tied with 5 and be one game out of 1st, cursing MSU for letting the Maryland game slip away.

Teams with winning B1G records that Iowa has played on the road to date. 2 (includes Palestra game).

Teams at .500 or worse in the B1G that Iowa has played on the road. 6.

It’s almost like one could make an argument that Iowa has had a pretty easy road schedule to date. I would wager that no other B1G team has played 6 road games against teams currently out of the NCAA tournament. Maybe 7 if Purdue is out.

Huge win yesterday.

Teams with winning B1G records that Iowa has played on the road to date. 2 (includes Palestra game).

Teams at .500 or worse in the B1G that Iowa has played on the road. 6.

It’s almost like one could make an argument that Iowa has had a pretty easy road schedule to date. I would wager that no other B1G team has played 6 road games against teams currently out of the NCAA tournament. Maybe 7 if Purdue is out.

Huge win yesterday.

6 road games against B1G teams out of the NCAA tournament? Huh? The B1G is projected to get 10 teams in at a minimum with 11 possible and 12 unlikely but not out of the question. We lost on the road to Penn State and Maryland who are both locks to make the tournament. We lost to Michigan, Indiana and Purdue. Michigan will most likely make the tournament. Indiana looks like a decent bet to make the tournament and Purdue still has a very real shot.

Is Penn State's "road" win against us counted in that 5? Because if so it shouldn't. That was the definition of a home game for them.

6 road games against B1G teams out of the NCAA tournament? Huh? The B1G is projected to get 10 teams in at a minimum with 11 possible and 12 unlikely but not out of the question. We lost on the road to Penn State and Maryland who are both locks to make the tournament. We lost to Michigan, Indiana and Purdue. Michigan will most likely make the tournament. Indiana looks like a decent bet to make the tournament and Purdue still has a very real shot.
No ingood’s stat includes Syracuse and Iowa State.

(Cuse, Iowa State, Neb, NW, Indiana, and Minnesota)

Put another way.

Iowa is 2-6 on the road in B1G conference play and they’ve played the bottom 6 teams in the B1G standings on the road. I think it would be a little more of a concern if Iowa didn’t have two conference road wins at this point than anything else.

Latest posts