I know that was a spring game but

Well... I think the D looked pretty darn good. I think our front 7 will be as good as hoped. Give Gervase some love. He was in the right place and made plays. (as bad of decisions and throws that those were) I'm a little less worried about having lost Snyder although we'll see how he does trying to tackle other big time players in the open field.
I'm not sure what to take away from the O other than the QBs were both uninspiring at best... I think it's Stanleys job to lose if only due to Wiegers giving the ball away. If everything else is being equal let the INTs be the deciding factor. Both didn't make the greatest of decisions with the ball or throws. I can't pretend to be not bumbed out when after a spring of prep that that's the best those QBs and receivers could do... My bar wasn't set very high at all and they didn't come close to it.

New offense, inexperienced WRs...relax. Remember too that the game was televised on BTN as a scrimmage game. How much do you think KF and company want to give away? Their offense is basic enough, so why would you tip your hand if you've been working on anything new. The D knew what was coming at them...no surprise it looked the way it did. Let's wait for fall before jumping off the cliff.

With the new QB'S and the fact we we're down some play makers as well as newbies playing I really got nothing out of the offense. That also made my defensive evaluation worthless......So bottom line we haven't seen anything yet. Time will tell this fall maybe!

Also need to remember this offense is based on getting the timing down between the QB and the receivers. One thing very obvious was QBs will be getting the ball out in many cases before the receiver has even turned to look back. Timing was not there yet.

I would bet one or more of the freshman receivers coming in will see some significant playing time.
I would hope that they put the most talented WRs on the field freshman or not. Vandeberg is a given, but beyond that it needs to be an open race for playing time.

How did Easley look in the Spring game...I'm not sure I've seen anything posted on this. He's gotten alot of hype...did he at least look the part?

I think Easley had one ball thrown to him, and it was intercepted. He may have been targeted more, but not much. Surprised because from all reports he was one of the bright spots in a very dull receiving group.

New offense, inexperienced WRs...relax. Remember too that the game was televised on BTN as a scrimmage game. How much do you think KF and company want to give away? Their offense is basic enough, so why would you tip your hand if you've been working on anything new. The D knew what was coming at them...no surprise it looked the way it did. Let's wait for fall before jumping off the cliff.
I went into the game with all that in mind. Yet I was still looking to find some accuracy and timing to be there amongst the receivers and qb. They attempted a handful of 12-15 yard in cut routes and not one of them were even close by either qb. I mean way off and that was with the qbs having their feet set and a clean lane to throw it. There's a long long way to go with the accuracy of these qbs and the timing needed for them to be able to move the ball. They can't throw screen passes to Wadley on every 3rd and long...

It looked to me like in some cases receivers were not running proper routes based on discussions on sideline. Also how many drops were there....... quite a few. With it being on TV you knew this was going to be the most basic stuff ever, and it was.
1. What have the receivers been working on the past few weeks if not catching the ball and running proper routes? It's not like Iowa's defense is exotic or doing things differently. They were on tv, too.

2. QB play was bad. They been working on anything but handing off to Wadley and Young?

3. I like Urban Meyer's approach. OSU couldn't throw the ball downfield last year so what did he do this spring game? Hide his weakness because it was on TV? No. He Put his ones against threes and fours and chucked it downfield all game BECAUSE HE KNEW IT WOULD BE ON TV AND FORCE EVERY OPPOSING COACH TO HAVE THAT IN THE BACK OF THEIR MINDS THIS FALL.

4. I don't care about the vanilla approach to spring "game." I do for the OOC games. It's not like every Big10 coach doesn't know Iowa's playbook. So work on the whole playbook during the OOC games instead of tying one arm behind yourself in a run-first pro-style offense against lesser teams.

new OC, new coaches, new QBs, questionable wideouts, backup HBs............did you expect them to look great?
I expect QBs to be able to at least hit a two yard window for accuracy. I expect WRs to run the proper routes. All of this against a vanilla zone cover 2 or 3 defense.

I think Iowa's offense has looked good exactly one spring I can recall...2002. Given that they are changing the playbook and terminology this year, and so inexperienced at WR...not surprising...not good, either

Yep. So many moving parts right now. QB says zing and the WR goes zang. I'm not worried at this point.

The game meant absolutely nothing besides giving more reps to people. The staff has always treated this game as another "practice" and I am sure they wanted to put the guys in positions that would force them to work on things that may not be their strong points. Also in most cases and especially with ours and the leadership we have at LB and some of the other guys the defense is usually further along than the offense anyway. The biggest positive is guys got to get some good reps and from what I have seen there were no serious injuries.

oh the annual over reaction to the Spring game that tells us nothing. The year Iowa went 12-0 someone on this site called our 1's other schools 2's and 3's immediately after it.

1. What have the receivers been working on the past few weeks if not catching the ball and running proper routes? It's not like Iowa's defense is exotic or doing things differently. They were on tv, too.

2. QB play was bad. They been working on anything but handing off to Wadley and Young?

3. I like Urban Meyer's approach. OSU couldn't throw the ball downfield last year so what did he do this spring game? Hide his weakness because it was on TV? No. He Put his ones against threes and fours and chucked it downfield all game BECAUSE HE KNEW IT WOULD BE ON TV AND FORCE EVERY OPPOSING COACH TO HAVE THAT IN THE BACK OF THEIR MINDS THIS FALL.

4. I don't care about the vanilla approach to spring "game." I do for the OOC games. It's not like every Big10 coach doesn't know Iowa's playbook. So work on the whole playbook during the OOC games instead of tying one arm behind yourself in a run-first pro-style offense against lesser teams.

They have had 15 practices. 15. The two starters are out, so newbies with a new QB with a new system. Come on LOL!

I expect QBs to be able to at least hit a two yard window for accuracy. I expect WRs to run the proper routes. All of this against a vanilla zone cover 2 or 3 defense.

Dude, Parker called a corner blitz (believe it was #11) that would have killed our QB if he could have hit him. It was not all vanilla defense.

I would hope that they put the most talented WRs on the field freshman or not. Vandeberg is a given, but beyond that it needs to be an open race for playing time.

It was clear TEs will likely be split out more to get some space and create mismatches. If our WRs can't get it done then I would expect more of that. BF keeps saying over and over about having the 11 most talented players on the field.

Latest posts