I know that was a spring game but

Stanley didn't look that bad. His targets had several drops. WRs appear to have a ways to go. Toren Young looked pretty good. Run blocking looked pretty crappy the 1st half.
I don't know if it was nerves or what, but that kid was throwing rockets...his arm strength is miles above Wiegers and several of them weren't so much drops as they were thrown hard and went through the hands. I hope he gets it together because I think he's going to be the starter.

The one thing I did notice was that he looked relaxed and smiled at times when talking to coaches and receivers on the sidelines. Beathard spent time talking to him too which I didn't see with Wiegers. Hopefully there's some chemistry between him and the team/staff.

This team will always look offensively challenged under KF. Other than 2001/2002/2005, we really haven't seen an offense that will move the ball at will. 2008 we had Greene which accounted for a lot of production.

I expect to see us right where we always end up in the Big10 stats, around the middle of the pack

They have had 15 practices. 15. The two starters are out, so newbies with a new QB with a new system. Come on LOL!
I would like to think that two four star QBs even without 15 practices could hit a six foot window. That's why I asked what they have been working on for 15 practices.

Brian Ferentz, the new OC, said Iowa's offense will look the same. So how does changing some of the terminology for a 12 yd in route cause the QB to throw 18 yards?

Dude, Parker called a corner blitz (believe it was #11) that would have killed our QB if he could have hit him. It was not all vanilla defense.
Dude, I saw the blitz you're talking about. It was 11. And he would have killed the QB.

But the key word you used was "a" CB blitz. I saw a couple of LB blitzes too. Even in Iowa's base vanilla cover they do blitz.

Wanna bet they blitz more in regular season games than a spring game.

Dude, I saw the blitz you're talking about. It was 11. And he would have killed the QB.

But the key word you used was "a" CB blitz. I saw a couple of LB blitzes too. Even in Iowa's base vanilla cover they do blitz.

Wanna bet they blitz more in regular season games than a spring game.

Probably not, that is when we play the bend but don't break crap.

One thing to drop is the notion that we don't show our hands during these spring/fall games because we don't want to give opposing teams the ability to scout......that's BS.

We then hear the same thing in the OOC portion of our schedule. We're vanilla because we don't want to give Big10 enough to review on film....

Yet our offense is literally the same basic plays every week. Yes there are wrinkles thrown in from time to time, but it's the same 10-12 plays. We see it in practice, we see it in OOC, and we see it in Conference play.

This is the Iowa Offense.

I would like to think that two four star QBs even without 15 practices could hit a six foot window. That's why I asked what they have been working on for 15 practices.

Brian Ferentz, the new OC, said Iowa's offense will look the same. So how does changing some of the terminology for a 12 yd in route cause the QB to throw 18 yards?

Exactly. Both Qbs should be looking much better than they do. A lot of throws were way off. The fact that there is competition says a lot because Stanley was clearly ahead of Wiegers last season. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense this season is going to be one of the most challenged we've seen in quite some time with a new QB, challenged receiving corp, new OC, tougher schedule.

Here's what I hope happens. During 15 practices QBs work on their feet, arm slot, and eyes (progression) and then the coaches say, now it's up to you as to how good you want to be. Take these three things and go throw a football in a mailbox all summer.

Exactly. Both Qbs should be looking much better than they do. A lot of throws were way off. The fact that there is competition says a lot because Stanley was clearly ahead of Wiegers last season. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the offense this season is going to be one of the most challenged we've seen in quite some time with a new QB, challenged receiving corp, new OC, tougher schedule.

To be fair, I really thought 2015 was going to be the ugliest offensive football we'd see in a while. We had spring/fall camps where the OL couldn't block anyone. I didn't think CJ would survive the year (and he barely did).....and I was thinking 5-6 wins....and we get 12.

The difference was CJ being able to make plays with his feet that year. He kept drives alive. Last year, not so much and we struggled.

We better hope that one of these QB's has some of that magic, or it will be a very tough go.

Here's what I hope happens. During 15 practices QBs work on their feet, arm slot, and eyes (progression) and then the coaches say, now it's up to you as to how good you want to be. Take these three things and go throw a football in a mailbox all summer.

I'd be curious to know how much the QBs and WRs work out on their own running drills on some vacant lot somewhere during the summer. I know there is summer conditioning, but you have to assume they do some informal practice amongst themselves.

I'd be curious to know how much the QBs and WRs work out on their own running drills on some vacant lot somewhere during the summer. I know there is summer conditioning, but you have to assume they do some informal practice amongst themselves.
I'd be curious to know, too. Guess it depends on how good they want to be.

image1.jpg

You don't think any of those "Big Ten spies" have BTN in their cable package?

Iowa has been one of the easiest teams to gameplan for. We hear it yearly from a few teams. "Iowa did exactly what we thought they would...blah blah"

2016 was one of the first years I remember the opposing defenses actually calling out the play, or POINTING to where the ball was going. Maybe I missed it in years past, but that stood out to me about the 2016 offense. Everyone in the stadium knew what we were going to do. Amazing we managed to run the way we did! Hats off to the OL and Wadley (and Daniels)

Iowa has been one of the easiest teams to gameplan for. We hear it yearly from a few teams. "Iowa did exactly what we thought they would...blah blah"

2016 was one of the first years I remember the opposing defenses actually calling out the play, or POINTING to where the ball was going. Maybe I missed it in years past, but that stood out to me about the 2016 offense. Everyone in the stadium knew what we were going to do. Amazing we managed to run the way we did! Hats off to the OL and Wadley (and Daniels)

This was a Greg Davis problem. He was way too predictable based on down and formations. Docherman and Moorehouse would bring this up all the time and say how we would pass out of 11 personnel like 95% of the time, and how we would run out of 22 Personnel like 95% of the time.

Barry Alverez used to say the KOK offense was hard to defend, as they would do so many different things out of their personnel groupings. I think we will see more of this. In other words I think we will see lots of passing and running out of 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE). Teams won't be able to load up.

The other big problem was Greg ran a sight read passing game. That meant a certain route was run when a certain look was given. Well the D knew this as well. They could shade defenders to areas, knowing this meant the WR was going to run X route. I think we will see this eliminated as well.

I think getting rid of Greg gets rid of the issues we have seen over the last 5 years. No, Iowa isn't going to be a juggernaut offensively. If we can just get back to KOK days of being a #50-#70 ranked offense instead of Gregs #90-#110 ranked offense, this will help the D tremendously.

This was a Greg Davis problem. He was way too predictable based on down and formations. Docherman and Moorehouse would bring this up all the time and say how we would pass out of 11 personnel like 95% of the time, and how we would run out of 22 Personnel like 95% of the time.

Barry Alverez used to say the KOK offense was hard to defend, as they would do so many different things out of their personnel groupings. I think we will see more of this. In other words I think we will see lots of passing and running out of 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE). Teams won't be able to load up.

The other big problem was Greg ran a sight read passing game. That meant a certain route was run when a certain look was given. Well the D knew this as well. They could shade defenders to areas, knowing this meant the WR was going to run X route. I think we will see this eliminated as well.

I think getting rid of Greg gets rid of the issues we have seen over the last 5 years. No, Iowa isn't going to be a juggernaut offensively. If we can just get back to KOK days of being a #50-#70 ranked offense instead of Gregs #90-#110 ranked offense, this will help the D tremendously.
Good post dean. Makes sense.

Latest posts