I have to Vent

Also - one more vent.... The fake punt with 5:50 left. No way should we have even cared about the return on that punt. The fact that we didn't even appear to be suspisious of a fake was very concerning to me.

I loved the balls by Beilema though. That's what you call playing to win on the road.

+1

Something we sorely needed with one minute to go at the Shoe last November...but...not in my wildest dreams.

Why would you do that? When you spike it under center, it's all ready a 1-yard loss. Why would you spike it from the shotgun and take a five yard loss?

That Ricky was in the shotgun at all indicates that nobody on the coaching staff told him what to do after the first down play.

WOW. Bahahaha. No wonder why we don't get along on here. You don't even know the basic rules of football.

I honestly can't believe what I am hearing here! I don't know how many years a lot of you have been around Hawkeye football (from the sounds of it, maybe only the last 5 to 10 years) but I have never been more proud of a Hawkeye coach and team in my life. These last 10 years have been the most rewarding time in my life as a Hawkeye fan. For those who question KF or NP or KO I say suck it! You have no idea what goes through their minds and believe me its probably a helluva a lot more than any of your small drunk brains. I agree with some that KF needs to step up and take some responsibility but the real truth is that WE as fans will never know. The coaching staff and the players play exactly for the situation they were in. If KF made a mistake, he made a mistake! Everyone needs to take a look in the mirror. Sure he makes $3MM a year but I am sure most on this thread are over paid for their jobs as well!

Bottom line is appreciate what we have. We have one of the best coaches in the country... Bar none! And a team that is consistently finishing in the top 10 to 25 in the country. He graduates players and makes men out of boys. To see A Clayborn in tears after the game should prove to you what they all have invested in this program and their college careers and don't think for a second that KF didn't see that and have it tear him up inside. SO everyone take a step back and breath. We went 11 - 2 last year and I don't think anyone was disappointed with putting an *** whooping on GT in the Orange Bowl. If you don't remember just think back to 99' and 00' and where we were. So everyone just shut up and enjoy watching the best show to EVER come through Kinnick!

Ferentz is a great coach, but his inability to manage the end of a game is stunning.

I have been the biggest Kirk Ferentz fan since the day he was hired, when many of my friends and family (many of whom attended and now work at the U of I) were besides themselves... have been a big fan through the down years, kept the faith through the beginning years, knowing how bare the cupboard Hayden left. I am almost always in agreement with his philosophies, views on preparedness, toughness, technique ect...

I love this football program, and admire the crafty ways they build players, recruit, and prepare.

All this said, it is amazing to me that there is not a more sophisticated attitude about end of half and end of game preparedness with this program. It has haunted KF since the beginning of his tenure as head coach, and it really hasn't changed. I thought there was a shift, and a defining moment last season with the MSU game, but then was flabbergasted with the OSU game afterward.

The Arizona and Wisconsin games, again, have me completely confused as to the preparedness of the quarterbacks and coaches in these critical and pressure filled situations.

I have to admit, I am spoiled in that I get to watch Peyton Manning run these situations to perfection week in and week out (I'm a Colts season ticket holder), and my perception may be slightly unrealistic, but I can identify a time management philosophy and have certain expectations from these experiences, both in success and failure. That being said, I really never know what to expect when I watch the Hawks execute in time saving situations. I usually see no patterns, I just see confusion, indecision and a kind of panic on the field from the players and on the sideline.

For a coach that preaches preparedness, routine and technique, it is stunning that this does not get addressed with any kind of professionalism. This unpreparedness is bordering on hypocritical considering his before mentioned philosophies. If the tears on Clayborn's face yesterday represented anything at all besides frustration, it may be that. My disappointment about yesterday's game is rooted in that feeling of hypocrisy. I am a die-hard Hawkeye, and I can't remember carrying this feeling for this long... usually it is over in the morning. Not this time. Am I alone?

KF made a mistake, he made a mistake! Everyone needs to take a look in the mirror. Sure he makes $3MM a year but I am sure most on this thread are over paid for their jobs as well!
WTF is that supposed to mean?
And a team that is consistently finishing in the top 10 to 25 in the country. He graduates players and makes men out of boys.
and it seems that everyone is satisfied with that as a goal ... I love being ranked, sure, but if your goal for the team is 10-25 then you and I are very different
We went 11 - 2 last year and I don't think anyone was disappointed with putting an *** whooping on GT in the Orange Bowl.
I was because there was no excuse to not have a back-up with some game experience by the point in the season when Ricky got hurt, and no excuse for losing to NW
If you don't remember just think back to 99' and 00' and where we were.
I was there, every home game in frustrating '97, every home game in crappy '98, every home game in empty-cupboard '99, and I still went to KC in '00 to watch us lose to KSU, and guess what, 3-8 or 8-4 don't feel much different to me
So everyone just shut up and enjoy watching the best show to EVER come through Kinnick!
show, what show ... ultra-conservative boring game plans are no show ... I like KF because he wins, certainly not because his teams have put on a show

I have been the biggest Kirk Ferentz fan since the day he was hired, when many of my friends and family (many of whom attended and now work at the U of I) were besides themselves... have been a big fan through the down years, kept the faith through the beginning years, knowing how bare the cupboard Hayden left. I am almost always in agreement with his philosophies, views on preparedness, toughness, technique ect...

I love this football program, and admire the crafty ways they build players, recruit, and prepare.

All this said, it is amazing to me that there is not a more sophisticated attitude about end of half and end of game preparedness with this program. It has haunted KF since the beginning of his tenure as head coach, and it really hasn't changed. I thought there was a shift, and a defining moment last season with the MSU game, but then was flabbergasted with the OSU game afterward.

The Arizona and Wisconsin games, again, have me completely confused as to the preparedness of the quarterbacks and coaches in these critical and pressure filled situations.

I have to admit, I am spoiled in that I get to watch Peyton Manning run these situations to perfection week in and week out (I'm a Colts season ticket holder), and my perception may be slightly unrealistic, but I can identify a time management philosophy and have certain expectations from these experiences, both in success and failure. That being said, I really never know what to expect when I watch the Hawks execute in time saving situations. I usually see no patterns, I just see confusion, indecision and a kind of panic on the field from the players and on the sideline.

For a coach that preaches preparedness, routine and technique, it is stunning that this does not get addressed with any kind of professionalism. This unpreparedness is bordering on hypocritical considering his before mentioned philosophies. If the tears on Clayborn's face yesterday represented anything at all besides frustration, it may be that. My disappointment about yesterday's game is rooted in that feeling of hypocrisy. I am a die-hard Hawkeye, and I can't remember carrying this feeling for this long... usually it is over in the morning. Not this time. Am I alone?

I'm with you, that p!ss!ng it down our leg in the fourth quarter is still eating at me ... not just the end of game drive, but the whole of Q4 ... starting with the band playing sweet caroline

I'm with bwsmoney. lbhawk73, even if he has been watching football since the Rutgers-Princeton game in 1869, doesn't understand the sport well.
There is a reason whey the announcers before every game (speaking with a straight face but no doubt laughing internally) say, "Iowa and KF don't change their style of play for anyone. They know what they are going to do and so does the other team. They just dare you to beat them."
For example, against Arizona, Mike Stoops was not going to let Adrian C. do to them what he did to Georgia Tech, even if he had to triple team him. A smart coach would have moved him around, blitzed a corner from the far left, etc. When they did a few linebacker blitzes against Nick Fowles he ended up on his backside (someone must have got those two plays in without KF knowing.) But KF's absolute inability to adjust to what the other team is doing or take advantage of their weak points is astonishing.
Against Wisconsin, I think we could have had 6 or 7 bombs for TDs with the protection Stanzi had and the receivers Iowa has. KF seems to think we have a great front 4 four (even though, our linebacking corps have been decimated) and they will take care of everything. You can give me this years NFL Pro-bowl def. front 4, let them take a pounding and see how well they hold up in the 4th quarter. Don't get me started on their conditioning, remember Adrian C. having to come out last week against Michigan because he was winded.
As bwsmoney said, I usually don't take a loss so hard but this year's team has the talent, that, if managed properly, could have went undefeated. I feel bad for these boys that they have an unimaginative, predictable coach. Could you imagine where they would be with someone like Chip Kelly (Oregon) running things?

thanks IMD, but don't put words in my mouth

that said, I do love Chip Kelly's style on offense ... their tempo and play calling are outstanding

Some of you are right on while others are fricking clueless. I have been a Hawk fan since the Fry days. We are in the pinnacle of Iowa football. How many other Big 10 teams have won BCS games? I was disappointed with the loss and yes we made some mistakes, but some of you have never coached or played any type of sports. It is obvious in your idiotic responses. It is your right to post what you want on messages boards and it is my right to call some of you moron chicken littles out. We control our own destiny and can still grab a share of the Big 10 title. Win or loose games I love this team and I love our coaching staff!

Some of you are right on while others are fricking clueless. I have been a Hawk fan since the Fry days. We are in the pinnacle of Iowa football. How many other Big 10 teams have won BCS games? I was disappointed with the loss and yes we made some mistakes, but some of you have never coached or played any type of sports. It is obvious in your idiotic responses. It is your right to post what you want on messages boards and it is my right to call some of you moron chicken littles out. We control our own destiny and can still grab a share of the Big 10 title. Win or loose games I love this team and I love our coaching staff!
It's lose not loose. One need not be a football player or a coach to understand football. KF is a coach, making $3.8 mil and he makes plenty of mistakes. Rather than call someone a "moron chicken little" why don't you explain to me why the criticisms I have made of the coaching decisions or KF extremely unimaginative coaching style are wrong. The pinnacle of Hawkeye football was in the mid 80's with the Chuck Long, Ronnie Harmon, etc. days when we had number one teams, made Rose bowls all before the current BCS ruined system of football we have now.

One play doesn't win games. That's true, but sometimes one FINAL play DOES win games. Ask the Giants and Patriots, or the Steelers and Cardinals. And also, one play CAN be a crucial turning point in a contest.

Or ask the Hawkeyes after Mich St last year.

Finally, absolutely inexcusable clock management at the end. I don't understand how someone paid $3M can't make what is a logical routine decision. You spike the ball and leave yourself 9 seconds with a timeout. I'm super ****** about that because we've seen it before and we were bailed out by poor clock management in the Capitol One Bowl. There is not excuse for such agregious clock manage. It was utter stupidity.

But the last play of the game is just one of many reasons we lost. One play doesn't lose or win a football game folks.

You are absolutely correct, Brian. The Cap One team succeeded despite very poor clock management by the sideline. It was apparent no one really knew what the he!! to do; don't tell me this was part of the game plan and the Iowa braintrust knew what they were doing in those closing seconds. They didn't. Fortunately, Drew Tate's instincts kicked in. He lined up and fired; the defender slipped, Holloway caught it, managed to stay up as he was hit and made it into the end zone.

But had that all not happened, that bowl game could have ended just as Saturday's did in Iowa City: a blown timeout call when the signal from the sideline wasn't clear, not knowing what to do in the closing seconds of a close game, a final play to nowhere near the sideline so the clock ran out when the Iowa attacker was tackled.

Clock management: be aware of where you are, who you have in, how much time you have left, what your options are (spiking the ball, throwing quickly into the sidelines, not burning a precious timeout).

I'm not sure losing this game on a missed long FG attempt by a walk-on kicker with a second or two to go would have hurt less. But at least it would have been a sign that the coaching staff had managed the end of the game well, and we all could have been less frustrated about the loss.

You are absolutely correct, Brian. The Cap One team succeeded despite very poor clock management by the sideline. It was apparent no one really knew what the he!! to do; don't tell me this was part of the game plan and the Iowa braintrust knew what they were doing in those closing seconds. They didn't. Fortunately, Drew Tate's instincts kicked in. He lined up and fired; the defender slipped, Holloway caught it, managed to stay up as he was hit and made it into the end zone.

But had that all not happened, that bowl game could have ended just as Saturday's did in Iowa City: a blown timeout call when the signal from the sideline wasn't clear, not knowing what to do in the closing seconds of a close game, a final play to nowhere near the sideline so the clock ran out when the Iowa attacker was tackled.

Clock management: be aware of where you are, who you have in, how much time you have left, what your options are (spiking the ball, throwing quickly into the sidelines, not burning a precious timeout).

I'm not sure losing this game on a missed long FG attempt by a walk-on kicker with a second or two to go would have hurt less. But at least it would have been a sign that the coaching staff had managed the end of the game well, and we all could have been less frustrated about the loss.

Spot on.

I have to vent too.

I love the Hawkeyes to death.

It really breaks my heart when we lose now. To the people that say "it is just a game" you are right. It is just a football game in the grand scheme of things.

However, to some people, including myself... Iowa games are more than that. When things aren't going the way you want them to in life and there isn't much you can do to change your luck... you look forward to saturday when Iowa plays, because it really is a chance to make your week a good one. When Iowa wins... I feel like it was a good week, even if monday-friday was a pain in the ***. I go to college in Wisconsin and I am openly a Hawkeye fan and I get tons of crap for it as it it... After today's game I have already received texts and messages from people trying to rub it in... which is expected, but I am not looking forward to my return to school on monday.

The most frustrating part about today's game is that we SHOULD have won it. We left 4 points out on the field off of what should have been routine special team plays.

I am also disappointed in Ferentz for saying that the timeout had no factor in the loss... I love Ferentz and I would not want ANY other coach, but I feel like he should take responsibility for that mistake. Great players and captains are expected to take responsibility for their mistakes and they often do... I am proud of Stanzi because he does a good job of taking responsibility... I am sad that Ferentz didn't do the same. I don't know how he could honestly believe he(as well as the rest of the coaching staff) did a good job today in their decision making.

One thing you cannot do is let the players believe they are the ones completely at fault in this game. That will only bring down their confidence for games in the future.

What Ferentz should have done is just acknowledged the fact that the coaching staff made mistakes that cost the game.

On the fake punt... There was NO need to be concerned about blocking for the kick return. The most important thing at that time was to get the ball back. Hell... If it were me I wouldn't have even put a returner back there. Let them switch the field on us... at least we could have had possession and kept the game in our hands, wasted time off the clock, and at worst punt the ball away making the comeback much more difficult.

The loss is extremely frustrating. The game was ours to lose and we were the better team... and our coaches did a damn good job of handing the game to them. The clock management and play calling at the end of the game was horrific and I just wish that Ferentz would take some responsibility... and maybe he has since the end of the game (I have not even looked at a TV since then.)

I'm still really upset about the loss, but am finally calming down. I am just tired of the badger fans coming on here and trolling... when they could be celebrating their victory like teams that are used to/expecting to win do.

Losing to classless teams is that much more upsetting.

P.S. It really sucks losing to a coach that is a total tool and to a team that was taking cheap shots at our best player... that could have ended his career.

Let me offer this up. Perhaps he agrees that the coaching staff bungled up the punt defense call and the clock management, but he doesn't comment to the media about it because 1) he's not going to throw his assistants under the bus, and 2) he's got to be political about his answers because he doesn't want to give the detractors and recruting competitors any ammo for to use for later.

I honestly think he knows the punt return call was an amazing brain fart and the clock management was a meltdown under pressure, but he can't talk about it because the team is ultimately the strongest if it completely trusts its leaders. A lot of coaches and other high profile leaders follow this approach.

It's aggrevating from a fan's perspective, but KF goes into these media rooms looking to "talk while saying nothing" as much as possible. I think that's why we get the responses we do, rather than him actually believing they took the best strategy or that it was a 50/50 call.

Let me offer this up. Perhaps he agrees that the coaching staff bungled up the punt defense call and the clock management, but he doesn't comment to the media about it because 1) he's not going to throw his assistants under the bus, and 2) he's got to be political about his answers because he doesn't want to give the detractors and recruting competitors any ammo for to use for later.

I honestly think he knows the punt return call was an amazing brain fart and the clock management was a meltdown under pressure, but he can't talk about it because the team is ultimately the strongest if it completely trusts its leaders. A lot of coaches and other high profile leaders follow this approach.

It's aggrevating from a fan's perspective, but KF goes into these media rooms looking to "talk while saying nothing" as much as possible. I think that's why we get the responses we do, rather than him actually believing they took the best strategy or that it was a 50/50 call.

Agreed, and that's part of what I truly like about KF. He will never, ever publicly throw his staff under Adrian Clayborn (I hate over-use of that other three-letter word). That said, I hope to he!! a couple assistants are having a hard time sitting down today today because of the post-game a$$-chewing they got Saturday.

Also - one more vent.... The fake punt with 5:50 left. No way should we have even cared about the return on that punt. The fact that we didn't even appear to be suspisious of a fake was very concerning to me.

I loved the balls by Beilema though. That's what you call playing to win on the road.

This concerned me more than anything. EIU successfully completed the conversion on a fake punt earlier in the year. I told my wife right before the play "watch for the fake punt!!!" but apparently the Iowa team thought that Wisky could never do it.

Other than that, there were some mistakes but that one really feels lousy because we were outcoached in that situation.

"It's lose not loose. One need not be a football player or a coach to understand football. KF is a coach, making $3.8 mil and he makes plenty of mistakes. Rather than call someone a "moron chicken little" why don't you explain to me why the criticisms I have made of the coaching decisions or KF extremely unimaginative coaching style are wrong. The pinnacle of Hawkeye football was in the mid 80's with the Chuck Long, Ronnie Harmon, etc. days when we had number one teams, made Rose bowls all before the current BCS ruined system of football we have now."

Yes I know it’s lose. Sorry for pushing the o key twice. I disagree with a lot that you have said. I think for the most part being a coach or a player helps you understand, because no player or coach would spew the verbal diarrhea that has been on here about "worst loss ever", "we are going to be 7-5". Feel free to be as critical as you like, but no coach or player has this type of ultimatum loser attitude. I will say again we still hold in our hands our own destiny and can still win a share of the Big 10 title and I guarantee that is what the coaches know and are thinking. Again we made mistakes, it’s ok to second guess and be critical, but the "Sky is Falling" garbage is a losers mentality. Regarding the past relating to Iowa Football it is your opinion that the BCS has ruined the current system. Facts speak for themselves. Who has won more Jan. 1 Bowl games? Who has had more top 10 finishes? I will give you a hint, it’s not Haden Fry.

Latest posts