I have to Vent

Why would you do that? When you spike it under center, it's all ready a 1-yard loss. Why would you spike it from the shotgun and take a five yard loss?
Spike=incomplete pass.
You don't lose yards either way.

You might want to brush up on "football common sense".

I think you might have to be under center for a "spike". Otherwise it can be considered running a play and an intentional grounding penalty? Seems logical that that is the case.

Why would you do that? When you spike it under center, it's all ready a 1-yard loss. Why would you spike it from the shotgun and take a five yard loss?

That Ricky was in the shotgun at all indicates that nobody on the coaching staff told him what to do after the first down play.

Coaches saw something different . D was NOT lined up and they wanted to run a play, possibly something deep. Stanzi was confused and didn't respond, so a TO was called. Simple as that.

Coaches saw something different . D was NOT lined up and they wanted to run a play, possibly something deep. Stanzi was confused and didn't respond, so a TO was called. Simple as that.

Your posts make no sense. If "they saw something deep" then you hike the ball and go deep, you dont take a timeout.

Your posts make no sense. If "they saw something deep" then you hike the ball and go deep, you dont take a timeout.

Holy crap you don't comprehend well. Let me spell it out for you again. The spike was on, or at least Stanzi thought so. As he lined up to spike, he looked to the sidelines and was confused by what they were saying. Instead of contemplating for another 5 seconds, they called a timeout. How is that hard to follow?

Ok, if it's an incomplete pass, who is Rick throwing the ball to?
The same player that he's throwing to on a spike, if he's lined up under center.
It doesn't matter.

Unless, there is a rule that says you have to line up under center to spike the ball.

The same player that he's throwing to on a spike, if he's lined up under center.
It doesn't matter.

Unless, there is a rule that says you have to line up under center to spike the ball.

So you're going to bag on me for not knowing the rule, but then admit that you're not aware of the rule either?

So you're going to bag on me for not knowing the rule, but then admit that you're not aware of the rule either?
You think you lose yards based on where you spike the ball from?

I was giving you an opening to possibly let your argument have some merit. There might be a rule, there might not be.

Your original point was WAY off base. Admit it and move on.
It was a tough loss against a team that had a ton of injuries.

Holy crap you don't comprehend well. Let me spell it out for you again. The spike was on, or at least Stanzi thought so. As he lined up to spike, he looked to the sidelines and was confused by what they were saying. Instead of contemplating for another 5 seconds, they called a timeout. How is that hard to follow?

SPIKE the ******* Ball that is the call everyone knows it!

You think you lose yards based on where you spike the ball from?

I was giving you an opening to possibly let your argument have some merit. There might be a rule, there might not be.

Your original point was WAY off base. Admit it and move on.
It was a tough loss against a team that had a ton of injuries.

My original point was that you can't spike the ball in the shotgun. You ripped me for not knowing that it would be an incomplete pass, but one post later said you weren't aware if such a rule was in place.

That about sum it up?

I have to vent too.

I love the Hawkeyes to death.

It really breaks my heart when we lose now. To the people that say "it is just a game" you are right. It is just a football game in the grand scheme of things.

However, to some people, including myself... Iowa games are more than that. When things aren't going the way you want them to in life and there isn't much you can do to change your luck... you look forward to saturday when Iowa plays, because it really is a chance to make your week a good one. When Iowa wins... I feel like it was a good week, even if monday-friday was a pain in the ***. I go to college in Wisconsin and I am openly a Hawkeye fan and I get tons of crap for it as it it... After today's game I have already received texts and messages from people trying to rub it in... which is expected, but I am not looking forward to my return to school on monday.

The most frustrating part about today's game is that we SHOULD have won it. We left 4 points out on the field off of what should have been routine special team plays.

I am also disappointed in Ferentz for saying that the timeout had no factor in the loss... I love Ferentz and I would not want ANY other coach, but I feel like he should take responsibility for that mistake. Great players and captains are expected to take responsibility for their mistakes and they often do... I am proud of Stanzi because he does a good job of taking responsibility... I am sad that Ferentz didn't do the same. I don't know how he could honestly believe he(as well as the rest of the coaching staff) did a good job today in their decision making.

One thing you cannot do is let the players believe they are the ones completely at fault in this game. That will only bring down their confidence for games in the future.

What Ferentz should have done is just acknowledged the fact that the coaching staff made mistakes that cost the game.

On the fake punt... There was NO need to be concerned about blocking for the kick return. The most important thing at that time was to get the ball back. Hell... If it were me I wouldn't have even put a returner back there. Let them switch the field on us... at least we could have had possession and kept the game in our hands, wasted time off the clock, and at worst punt the ball away making the comeback much more difficult.

The loss is extremely frustrating. The game was ours to lose and we were the better team... and our coaches did a damn good job of handing the game to them. The clock management and play calling at the end of the game was horrific and I just wish that Ferentz would take some responsibility... and maybe he has since the end of the game (I have not even looked at a TV since then.)

I'm still really upset about the loss, but am finally calming down. I am just tired of the badger fans coming on here and trolling... when they could be celebrating their victory like teams that are used to/expecting to win do.

Losing to classless teams is that much more upsetting.

P.S. It really sucks losing to a coach that is a total tool and to a team that was taking cheap shots at our best player... that could have ended his career.

90% of other BCS schools don't spend $3.02 million per season on a coach who hasn't won a national championship or played for a national title....just saying.

90% of other BCS schools don't spend $3.02 million per season on a coach who hasn't won a national championship or played for a national title....just saying.
So, are you saying it's time to get rid of him, or not pay him so much?

I have to vent too.

I love the Hawkeyes to death.

It really breaks my heart when we lose now. To the people that say "it is just a game" you are right. It is just a football game in the grand scheme of things.

However, to some people, including myself... Iowa games are more than that. When things aren't going the way you want them to in life and there isn't much you can do to change your luck... you look forward to saturday when Iowa plays, because it really is a chance to make your week a good one. When Iowa wins... I feel like it was a good week, even if monday-friday was a pain in the ***. I go to college in Wisconsin and I am openly a Hawkeye fan and I get tons of crap for it as it it... After today's game I have already received texts and messages from people trying to rub it in... which is expected, but I am not looking forward to my return to school on monday.

The most frustrating part about today's game is that we SHOULD have won it. We left 4 points out on the field off of what should have been routine special team plays.

I am also disappointed in Ferentz for saying that the timeout had no factor in the loss... I love Ferentz and I would not want ANY other coach, but I feel like he should take responsibility for that mistake. Great players and captains are expected to take responsibility for their mistakes and they often do... I am proud of Stanzi because he does a good job of taking responsibility... I am sad that Ferentz didn't do the same. I don't know how he could honestly believe he(as well as the rest of the coaching staff) did a good job today in their decision making.

One thing you cannot do is let the players believe they are the ones completely at fault in this game. That will only bring down their confidence for games in the future.

What Ferentz should have done is just acknowledged the fact that the coaching staff made mistakes that cost the game.

On the fake punt... There was NO need to be concerned about blocking for the kick return. The most important thing at that time was to get the ball back. Hell... If it were me I wouldn't have even put a returner back there. Let them switch the field on us... at least we could have had possession and kept the game in our hands, wasted time off the clock, and at worst punt the ball away making the comeback much more difficult.

The loss is extremely frustrating. The game was ours to lose and we were the better team... and our coaches did a damn good job of handing the game to them. The clock management and play calling at the end of the game was horrific and I just wish that Ferentz would take some responsibility... and maybe he has since the end of the game (I have not even looked at a TV since then.)

I'm still really upset about the loss, but am finally calming down. I am just tired of the badger fans coming on here and trolling... when they could be celebrating their victory like teams that are used to/expecting to win do.

Losing to classless teams is that much more upsetting.

P.S. It really sucks losing to a coach that is a total tool and to a team that was taking cheap shots at our best player... that could have ended his career.
My thoughts as well. good post. Baggin on players is one thing, but coaches getting paid millions can and should be able to take the heat. I love KF, but he needs to man up to his mistakes.

let's get rid of him then......we can get someone in here than can only win 6 or 7 games a year instead of 9 or 10. There is NOT a single coach in the world that can coach with 3 star talent like KF. NOT ONE! Even though we haven't won a national title, we've been among the best more years than not in the last decade. KF and his staff is the only reason for that.

Also, on the topic of Ferentz not taking responsibility for the coaching staff's mistakes... It only makes players frustrated/angry at the coaches. When a coach says "this on is on me. I made decisions that cost us the game today." It makes players respect the coach, trust the coach, and believe in the coach... when a coach doesn't do that... it makes a lot of players very frustrated.

My thoughts as well. good post. Baggin on players is one thing, but coaches getting paid millions can and should be able to take the heat. I love KF, but he needs to man up to his mistakes.

Again.....how did KF botch the snap, miss the Xpt., etc....Can you tell me that?

Do you think Mack Brown is getting paid whatever he gets paid (more than Kirk) to lose at home to Iowa State? How about Urban Meyer; his team lost at home against Mississippi State.

Latest posts