I have an intense or passionate dislike for ISU football

I think there annoying as a program and downright sad. It is also frustrating how Kirk has struggled so much against this third rate clown program.

The biggest problem I have with playing ISU (next to Kirk inconceivably struggling in this series) is that we are playing them on a yearly basis. We should be losing no more than 2-3 times in a 10 game span (and even that might be to much). Most importantly, Iowa could be playing a better opponent in another recruiting region within the country to get our brand out there. Instead, the powers that be are married to this clown, ag-fest.

The Clowns need us far more than we need them. Without Nebraska, we are the only team left that complete their season.

Last edited:
I think their annoying as a program and downright sad. It is also frustrating how Kirk has struggled so much against this third rate clown program.

The biggest problem I have with playing ISU (next to Kirk inconceivably struggling in this series) is that we are playing them on a yearly basis. We should be losing no more than 2-3 times in a 10 game span (and even that might be to much). Most importantly, Iowa could be playing a better opponent in another recruiting region within the country to get our brand out there. Instead, the powers that be are married to this clown, ag-fest.

The Clowns need us far more than we need them. Without Nebraska, we are the only team left that complete their season.

You are right. Except that this game locks down the state of Iowa. (or should) For those that care to win it. [yeah, I'm lookin at you KF]

So you think the best team wins every game ever played huh? Myth busters should do a show debunking the upset theory.[/QUOT

When you lose more often than not its more than bad luck. So yeah with history on my side I'd say most of the time the best team wins. Of course you are one of the talkers after a loss I'm sure.

Last edited:
No, that's not how rivalries work. I will never root for Iowa State to beat ANYONE. I would rather Texas hang 80 on them. The only possible way I would ever cheer for Iowa State is if it is the last game of the season and them beating someone would knock that team out of the playoffs, making way for Iowa, but it is so unlikely that I won't have to worry about it.

I feel that way, but more so for nebby.

So you think the best team wins every game ever played huh? Myth busters should do a show debunking the upset theory.[/QUOT

When you lose more often than not its more than bad luck. So yeah with history on my side I'd say most of the time the best team wins. Of course you are one of the talkers after a loss I'm sure.

Oh I know it's not bad luck. It's bad coaching. Kirk is fine keeping games close so he doesn't have to take a risk. Doing so leaves us open for an UPSET. You could take almost any other D1 coach in the nation and swap him in for Kirk to coach that 1 day and the hawks win 9 out of 10 games. That's because we're always a better team than them.

Same goes for the goofs.

What about our protected long term rivalry with the hated Boilermakers? Haven't we been told they are to be our most despised team.

Personally, on the ISu front,
1) hope we win, (funny how "hope we win" has replaced "we should win by X points" from the HF years)!
2) hope isu gets 6 wins this year, and then goes to a bowl game in Detroit or Nashville and gets stomped. And C) that their fans eventually realize they suck at football, and that their coach is much worse than ours.
....Definitely agree with Walker above, that I could care less if nebby didn't win a single game.

When the streak ended in '98, I kinda shrugged and thought, "welp, that figures." There was just too much hubris, complacency, and arrogance in Iowa City after the umpteen year streak.

The clones had a few good years and it looked like they had momentum. But their teams were at best barely over the line and into mediocre and success is still the exception rather than the norm. Rhoads is still just trying to win as many games as he did his first year in Ames (7).

Two things really bother me about ISU: 1st, they have terrible fans. Explanations aren't necessary on this count.

2nd, they almost NEVER use this game to build positive momentum going into the season. They normally return to their collective zombie state, go through the motions the remainder and make being the fecal stain on Iowa's underwear for all the world to see their sole raison d'être the rest of the way.

No, I don't hate them. I just don't care.

Last edited:

You are right, most of the time the best team wins. Iowa 115-85 and ISU 81-115 over the 16 years.

Just because ISU has managed to beat us over the last 16 years doesn't mean the program is anywhere near close to what Iowa is. Last I knew, only Clownie fans judged their team based on one game.

I was raised to hate the clowns so much so that now as an adult I despise the color red. I don't own anything red, I wont let the wife wear red.

So much for not caring about this game.

Hope both teams come out of the game healthy. Beyond that, no predictions.

if Hate is too strong a word...annoying might capture it better. Clone fans are like mosquitoes ... or the annoying little kid next door that you hope will grow out of it, but at 18 is still very much a d-bad... or the guy from college who someone always clung on to your group of friends, even though nobody could stand him. He tried a little too hard to fit in, really wanted to be "cool (which made him completely uncool). He stands a little too close, talks a little louder than necessary and has no sense of timing in a group situation...always has a way of saying something stupid when you're all having a good time. It's not unusual when meeting people, that at some point one of them leans in and says, "Who's that guy?...is he with you?".

Just awkward and a bit pathetic. The thing that makes it even worse, is that many of them develop this false bravado and really believe they're all that. Denial is a beach.

Last edited:
So much for not caring about this game.

Hope both teams come out of the game healthy. Beyond that, no predictions.
I won't lie, there was a time where I cared very little about this game. I grew up in Eastern Iowa during a time where Iowa just owned Iowa State. It was just a given that the Hawks would win. I moved to Central Iowa, and Iowa State started winning this game. I still didn't care that much. We finished in the top 10 3 years in a row, and life was still good. Over the past 5 years, I have started caring more. Mostly because this game is kind of a symbolic of what's happened to the program. We lose to teams we shouldn't. We are so predictable, that with the right game plan, just about anyone could beat us because most games are going to be close no matter who we are playing. I'm tired of losing this game. I'm tired of hearing the Cyclones in the office pound their chest and talk about how they would win the Big 10 West just because they beat us in a close game. I don't hate Iowa State, but I want to win this game pretty badly this year. We saw a glimpse of hope last Saturday. This week it's time for KF to prove it to us.

I don't think I hate the Clowns so much as I hate LOSING to them. I don't expect Iowa to go 100-0 in the series, but losing 9 out of 16 or whatever it is, is totally inexcusable and has really gotten under my skin. I don't want to get into a KF debate in this thread, but 7-9 against ISU is on HIM, not ISU.

ISU comes out and plays with passion, where Iowa is only concerned about simply "executing" - just another game on the schedule, right? If that's your attitude about a rivalry game, then don't be surprised when you lose.

And yeah, ISU fan's smack talk after losing to them is annoying. Iowa is still, historically, by far the better program, no matter what the recent head-to-head results say. So, get that "Cyclone State" $h!t out of here.

Last edited:
When the streak ended in '98, I kinda shrugged and thought, "welp, that figures." There was just too much hubris, complacency, and arrogance in Iowa City after the umpteen year streak.

The clones had a few good years and it looked like they had momentum. But their teams were at best barely over the line and into mediocre and success is still the exception rather than the norm. Rhoads is still just trying to win as many games as he did his first year in Ames (7).

Two things really bother me about ISU: 1st, they have terrible fans. Explanations aren't necessary on this count.

2nd, they almost NEVER use this game to build positive momentum going into the season. They normally return to their collective zombie state, go through the motions the remainder and make being the fecal stain on Iowa's underwear for all the world to see their sole raison d'être the rest of the way.

No, I don't hate them. I just don't care.

Bingo! I will lose to Moo U every year if the Hawks can have years like '81 & '02. Other than bragging rights, the game is meaningless. If Iowa loses tomorrow, wins out & beats O$U in the the B1G Championship Game, fans will be dancing in the streets of Iowa City. I realize this probably won't happen, but the Hawks have eight far more important games after Saturday. I think victories over Minnesota, Nebraska & Wisconsin are more important.

After the '81 season, Donnie Duncan said something to the effect: "so we beat Iowa, they won their conference & are going to the Rose Bowl. I'd lose to Iowa every year if we win the Big Eight & go to the Orange Bowl!"

Latest posts