I have a dumb question

4thngoal

Watching the MN game with my gal and Purdue kicks an onside kick and recovers.
Score is 38 mn 24 Purdue.
Now I don't know the rules exactly, but an onside kick has to go 10 yards and the other team has to touch it first.
So why would mn even touch it?
Why not just stay away and take possession where it stops?

Watching the MN game with my gal and Purdue kicks an onside kick and recovers.
Score is 38 mn 24 Purdue.
Now I don't know the rules exactly, but an onside kick has to go 10 yards or the other team has to touch it first.
So why would mn even touch it?
Why not just stay away and take possession where it stops?
Fixed your mistake. If MN touches it before 10 yes, it becomes live, otherwise it's live no matter what after 10.

Thanks guys.
My gal and I were watching and she asked and I was like uh uh uh.
Still is a little unclear with that though, because on a kick off the kicking team can down it at the one yard line if the receiving team doesn't touch it. But it's still the receiving teams ball.

It must have something to do with the hop or bounce before the 10 yards?
Just curious what the rules are on that special teams play.

Thanks guys.
Still is a little unclear with that though, because on a kick off the kicking team can down it at the one yard line if the receiving team doesn't touch it. But it's still the receiving teams ball.

You're getting kickoffs and punts confused. Kickoffs are live balls after 10 yards. Punts are not if the punting team touches it first

Thanks guys.
Nope. On a kickoff, if the kicking team recovers the ball past 10 yards, it is the kicking teams ball. Whereas in punting, once the punter has punted it, it is the receiving team's ball unless it touches a receiving team player.

Thanks guys.
Sorry to say this but this is football 101, taught in junior high. You should pay more attention to your gal

Thanks guys.

Welcome to football. It's a fun sport!

Thanks guys.

Not on a kick-off. The kickoff team can recover that. The receiving team can call a fair catch on a kickoff now. Is that what you are thinking of?

Thanks guys.

Well, the good thing is that you can touch your girlfriend, if she consents that is, and she doesn't even have to go 10 yards. The consenting thing is all you have to worry about...really easy. This football stuff may get a little complicated for you. I'd stick to the former.

Here's a question that is related to the op's question tangentially that i think about generally every week while whatching games. After the ball goes 10 yards on a kickoff it's a live ball. Why is it that when a kick receiver that lets the ball land past him in the endzone and the ball stays in the endzone does the ref call a touchback every time and end the play? That should be a live ball right?

Here's a question that is related to the op's question tangentially that i think about generally every week while whatching games. After the ball goes 10 yards on a kickoff it's a live ball. Why is it that when a kick receiver that lets the ball land past him in the endzone and the ball stays in the endzone does the ref call a touchback every time and end the play? That should be a live ball right?
That's what I'm saying, is when you start over thinking the whole thing, some stuff just doesn't seem logical.
So a punt is not a live ball. But it is if it's blocked ,or is it? What happens if it hits your own player while he is trying to stop someone from blocking it? Because we know you can't touch it down field after a punt.
And what about blocked point Afters?
Jesus a guy could do a whole clinic on special teams and the kicking game.

That's what I'm saying, is when you start over thinking the whole thing, some stuff just doesn't seem logical.
So a punt is not a live ball. But it is if it's blocked ,or is it? What happens if it hits your own player while he is trying to stop someone from blocking it? Because we know you can't touch it down field after a punt.
And what about blocked point Afters?
Jesus a guy could do a whole clinic on special teams and the kicking game.

Blocked punts are only live if they stay behind the line of scrimmage. Either team can advance. A punt that passes the LOS is not live unless touched by the receiving team.