I gaurantee you CJB will NOT be the starter next fall.

I get the Berstine reference, but DJK?? All he did was put him #2 on the depth chart and brought him in the 2nd play of the game. Welp except for one time when he missed a qtr. or 1/2 I think for one of his drug test fails.

Agree. Kirk gave DJK all the rope he needed to hang himself, and that's exactly what DJK did.

I get the Berstine reference, but DJK?? All he did was put him #2 on the depth chart and brought him in the 2nd play of the game. Welp except for one time when he missed a qtr. or 1/2 I think for one of his drug test fails.

Just the fact you agree with the Bernstine reference makes OOTH's point. But I'll weigh in on DJK. Remember this, "His style is not our style." That's Kirk-speak for ultraconservative/risk averse style is our style. Going after guys with DJKs swagger isn't in the cards for the future. All DJK did was set records and show up when others didn't (remember the Minnesota game?). You can't win impressively at this level with boy-scout walk-ons and 55th rated classes. You need a bunch of Roths and DJKs. How much you wanna bet Willies had some DJK swagger and was made to feel unwanted while others with Cyclonesque talent leapfrogged him? And because of that whatever QB starts next year will be handicapped with less talent than he needs to beat powerhouses like Iowa State.

Just the fact you agree with the Bernstine reference makes OOTH's point. But I'll weigh in on DJK. Remember this, "His style is not our style." That's Kirk-speak for ultraconservative/risk averse style is our style. Going after guys with DJKs swagger isn't in the cards for the future. All DJK did was set records and show up when others didn't (remember the Minnesota game?). You can't win impressively at this level with boy-scout walk-ons and 55th rated classes. You need a bunch of Roths and DJKs. How much you wanna bet Willies had some DJK swagger and was made to feel unwanted while others with Cyclonesque talent leapfrogged him? And because of that whatever QB starts next year will be handicapped with less talent than he needs to beat powerhouses like Iowa State.

Willies also quit on his team with 5 games to go in his freshman season. You left that out.

This is acceptance of mediocrity.

123ThankYouDiffLang.jpg

I'm gettin annoyed reading knight78's diatribe that under-performing is ok because we MIGHT return to the 70s. That comment from him assumes our fans would tolerate that. That's a terrible insult to our fans.

Swagger has nothing to do with talent. Being a bad teammate doesn't make you perform better. Roth was nothing like DJK, and I'd bet he'd wanna kick the crap out of you for lumping him in with the likes of DJK. Being mean and nasty on the field doesn't make you a bad teammate.

Kirk is just to loyal to Jake and to afraid of change to make a move. He finally got the stones to do it for the bowl game. It would have been pointless to do that if he wasn't planning on following through with it. I think CJ starts from day 1 next year.

It would've been pointless to say in the pre-season that we would employ a two-QB system in 2014 if we weren't. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but our athletic department is offering PHDs in pointless. See our standing in the Directors Cup for more on this.

As long as KF is coach (if KF isn't coach what are the odds CJ stays?), CJ will be the starter. In 2016 CJ will become the starter. That's KF's plan.

Originally, that was the plan. But things got so screwed up with team politics that option is now gone.

How much Djk didn't play because of breaking actual rules or kirk just not liking him is debatable. Guess we won't know till djks book comes out.

Djks ego held himself back. Kirk's ego holds Iowa back. Fact.

Good god, is this myth still alive? 2012 was NOT about Vandenberg. .

jiFfM.jpg

When you're the only QB in D-1 to take 100% of the team's snaps during a 4-8 season, the coaches have decided it's ALL ABOUT YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:
zzzz, really? reallllllllllllllllllyyy?

The "zzzzzz" makes me think lazy. But what comes after makes me think stupid. I'll quiz you to make a final determination.

In November 2014 I voted for:

1) Joni Ernst

2) Bruce Braley

3) Hussein Obama

Your answer?

It would've been pointless to say in the pre-season that we would employ a two-QB system in 2014 if we weren't. Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but our athletic department is offering PHDs in pointless. See our standing in the Directors Cup for more on this.

What I was trying to say is I think the main reason Kirk wasn't playing Beathard is because he didn't want to hurt Rudock's feelings. Now that his feelings have been hurt, there's no reason to turn back. You aint joking on the PHDs in pointless though.

I think next year could be a real mess offensively. Our line will be really challenged. Two new undersized tackles could spell real trouble for CJ and his health. He has to be excited he is finally getting a legitimate shot but can't feel good about this. I would feel better if Morgan was still coaching the O-line but even he would have a difficult task.

Combine that with arguably only one quality receiver and fragile and/or unproven running backs and it could be a long year for CJ. Or any QB.

Is CJ staying a done deal?

Its probably best for him he move on. After next year, he would likely have a new OC and head coach, and that will be difficult for a senior. Iowa has little to offer him, other than an education.

Have you graduated from the Kirk Ferentz School of Answering Questions?

They're not difficult questions really. Seriously, just be more specific in your guarantee.

1. Is CJ not starting because he's injured or gone?
2. Is Rudock the "someone else" as a possible starter along with Weiger?

Hurry, you've only got a few days. You wouldn't want KF to answer more questions and more difficult questions than you.

I'm gettin annoyed reading knight78's diatribe that under-performing is ok because we MIGHT return to the 70s. That comment from him assumes our fans would tolerate that. That's a terrible insult to our fans.

I'm not saying they would tolerate such a drop. We would have a coach for 2-4 years and then go get another..... and another.... and ad nauseum. One thing a coaching turnstyle guarantees is below average.

Iowa State went through this after Earl Bruce, who left after the 1978 season and was their last coach to have a record at ISU above .500. In fact, since that season, ISU has a winning percentage of 37.5%.

Don't think it's possible at Iowa? Why? There are Big 10 schools with the same kind of history. Look no further than Purdue, once known as "The Cradle of Quarterbacks" and regularly winning games and going to bowls. Now? Not so much. There are others as well.

I'm not saying they would tolerate such a drop. We would have a coach for 2-4 years and then go get another..... and another.... and ad nauseum. One thing a coaching turnstyle guarantees is below average.

Iowa State went through this after Earl Bruce, who left after the 1978 season and was their last coach to have a record at ISU above .500. In fact, since that season, ISU has a winning percentage of 37.5%.

Don't think it's possible at Iowa? Why? There are Big 10 schools with the same kind of history. Look no further than Purdue, once known as "The Cradle of Quarterbacks" and regularly winning games and going to bowls. Now? Not so much. There are others as well.

What are ya gonna do when KF's contract is up in a few years? So, what's the difference between now and then? Are we gonna suck then when we can't find a coach better than KF? Is it only a matter of time? If what you say is right, better to get started losing now, so we are better equipped to hire and get more wins later, right? Doesn't make any difference, because we are going to lose now or then, right? Percentages say so??

How much Djk didn't play because of breaking actual rules or kirk just not liking him is debatable. Guess we won't know till djks book comes out.

Djks ego held himself back. Kirk's ego holds Iowa back. Fact.

No its not really debatable, DJK was cut a lot of slack. I respect your opinion on a lot of things. But your wrong on this. I defended DJK until the very end as I tend to do with Hawks. That is one in retrospect. I was wrong on

No its not really debatable, DJK was cut a lot of slack. I respect your opinion on a lot of things. But your wrong on this. I defended DJK until the very end as I tend to do with Hawks. That is one in retrospect. I was wrong on

Unless someone was around every time kirk and Djk interacted then it is debatable. One way or the other.

Latest posts