I gained a whole new respect for RDM last night

Post like this make me scratch my head and go what the f###. Take Aaron Craft can't shoot a lick...but he brings so much to the table. In looking at team stats it is no coincidence that our slide and Mike's minutes played have coincided with each other. Mike's minutes are down and so are the win's. If you ask B1G coaches I will guarantee you they love Mike and what he brings to the court.
I don't know if this quote is directed at me because I posted MG's woeful shooting stats. Facts are facts.

During the 7 games AfterDestruction (home Wisky loss) stretch MGs...

minutes have actually gone up for 26.0 mpg to 26.4 mpg. So you're flat-out wrong that his minutes have shrunk.

FGA have gone up from 7.3 att/pg to 10.9 att/pg.

FG% has gone done from 44.8% to 26.3%

FGA/MPG have gone from .28 to .42.

I'm also one that has defended Woodbury and what he does for the team that doesn't have the sexy stat lines.

I posted MGs and AWs stats in comparison to Marble's because some morons were saying Marble is selfish and has ruined team chemistry and he hasn't delivered. that's context of my post.

That facts are different and don't back up this psuedo-beef.

AWs stats are not effected by Marble's increased shooting. His shooting numbers are erratic across the board unless it's a run-n-gun game.

MGs stats are not effected by Marble's increased shooting. In fact, his shots per game have increased the same ratio as Marble's from the Wisky home loss to the end of the season.

take a look at the numbers in the B1G games before the collapse, it will also show the same thing.
First 12 games of the B1G 8-4

15 or more shots 1-2
less than 15 shots 7-2

Look I am NOT placing all the blame on Marble for shooting too much and causing the collapse. However the numbers clearly show when he shoots more than 15 times a game the team loses. Simple as that. Take it however you want,but it's a FACT.
take a look at the numbers in the B1G games before the collapse, it will also show the same thing.

10 or more shots 1-2
less than 10 shots 7-2

Look I am NOT placing all the blame on Gesell for shooting too much and causing the collapse. However the numbers clearly show when he shoots more than 10 times a game the team losses. Simple as that. Take it however you want, but it's a FACT.

Marble's FG% BC: 41.7% FG% AD: 46.5%
Gesell's FG% BC: 44.8% FG% AD: 26.3%

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything, the increased shooting by the guards limits attempts in the paint for the big boys = losses. Haven't many been asking, "Where has been the inside game?"

Yeah, his team mates can't stand him....

MELSAHN BASABE: I have spoken to Devon Archie as well as Jarryd Cole, but I always speak to them. They’re like my big brothers. And then actually Dev’s dad, even though he was playing in the ’80s, he’s been a mentor person I talk to a lot, ...

10 or more shots 1-2
less than 10 shots 7-2

Look I am NOT placing all the blame on Gesell for shooting too much and causing the collapse. However the numbers clearly show when he shoots more than 10 times a game the team losses. Simple as that. Take it however you want, but it's a FACT.

Marble's FG% BC: 41.7% FG% AD: 46.5%
Gesell's FG% BC: 44.8% FG% AD: 26.3%

I think one thing in this that might be misleading IMO would be the fact that in the games in which Devyn was held under 10 shots I'd be willing to bet the defense was clicking, we were getting out in transition, and we were not being held in check and forced to execute the majority of the game in the half court offense.

Edit: Meant to include guards and not just Devyn

Last edited:
I think one thing in this that might be misleading IMO would be the fact that in the games in which Devyn was held under 10 shots I'd be willing to bet the defense was clicking, we were getting out in transition, and we were not being held in check and forced to execute the majority of the game in the half court offense.

and there you have it. People read far too much into what I was trying to point out. Again I am not saying that Marble is selfish or shoots too much, but I agree with the above when we are forced to play a half court game we struggle (hell that was a known fact before the season even started).

Just like every great player they can't do it alone they need help from the others on the floor. That isn't a opinion that is a fact.

Hoffa I think you hit the nail on the head. The simple fact is that when a team struggles within the half court offense as we obviously do someone is going to have to take some illadvised shots as the team is either passing up open looks or simply can't get any. Regardless of whether its Devyn or Mike, or whoever someone has to shoot the ball.

Focal point being its easier to spread out the shots when your running and not confined to the half court game.

and there you have it. People read far too much into what I was trying to point out. Again I am not saying that Marble is selfish or shoots too much, but I agree with the above when we are forced to play a half court game we struggle (hell that was a known fact before the season even started).

Just like every great player they can't do it alone they need help from the others on the floor. That isn't a opinion that is a fact.
Well, to be truthful, you did qualify that you were not putting "all of the blame" on Devyn; however, when he shoots more than 15 times the team loses. "That's a fact."

There are facts and there are other facts. Another fact is Gesell's shooting - although nobody is talking about that poisoning the chemistry of the team.

The slide at the end of the season is backed by the fact that both guards shot 3 more attempts per game than before the slide; the huge difference is that Marble's shooting % went up to 48%; Gesell's % nose-dived to 28%.

Therefore, the problem isn't Marble like a bunch of dim-wits were indicating about him poisoning team chemistry by being selfish with the ball nor is it as simple to say that when Marble shoots more than 15 shots = probable loss.

And you're right, when Iowa plays a half-court game, the team struggles.

And the only player on the team that can get his own shot in the half-court game is Devyn Marble. That's why he shoots more in half-court games. That's probably why Gesell does, too, although he needs to work harder at getting the ball to the inside guys when Iowa is stuck in the half-court game. The difference is Marble has delivered in his shooting; Gesell hasn't.

He took 18 shots. 8 of his points were from the line. He scored 24. So he scored 16 pts om 18 shots. Terrible.

Yup. That's right. He was 8-18 from the field and 8-8 from the FT line. Five of those shots he was fouled on and awarded free throws. Two times he converted the traditional three point play. Three times he missed the shot and made the free throws. So he's supposed to make all the shots he takes and gets fouled?

Let's really look at the B1G stats, since you're so fond of bringing up stats.

Here's Marble's ranks in the B1G season:

Scoring: 2nd (18.1) Ahead of him: Petteway.

Assists: Tied for 9th (3.5) with Nick Stauskas. Ahead of him: Craft, Appling, Gesell, Mathieu, Frazier, Valentine, Ferrell, Johnson.

Steals: 6th (1.6) Ahead of him: Craft, Harris, Hollins, Rice, Scott.

3-point FG Pct: 11th (.407) Ahead of him: Gasser, Trice, Kaminski, Stauskas, LeVert, Nunn, Walton, Pitchford, Irvin, Hollins.

3-point FG Made: 7th (33) Ahead of him: Ferrell, Harris, Stauskas, Brust, Stephens, Hollins.

Assist to Turnover: 5th (1.7) Ahead of him: Gesell, Valentine, Appling, Stauskas.

And now the kicker: The top 10 in minutes played in the B1G season were Crawford, Ferrell, Stauskas, Brust, Cobb, LeVert, Craft, Frazier, Gasser and Harris. The bottom of this list averaged 34.3 minutes per game. Funny how a lot of these names are up in the other stats. For the record, Marble averaged 30.0 minutes per game.

Yup. That's right. He was 8-18 from the field and 8-8 from the FT line. Five of those shots he was fouled on and awarded free throws. Two times he converted the traditional three point play. Three times he missed the shot and made the free throws. So he's supposed to make all the shots he takes and gets fouled?

Although I agree with you, it is not a shot attempted if you are fouled (unless you make the shot).

Latest posts