I fear our 2010 home schedule

JLoss

So the DSM register has an article about how we have the second best home record in the Big Ten over the past 10 years (2nd to Ohio State).

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/07/21/ten-iowa-hawkeye-storylines-no-3-kinnick-karma/

Reading this should bring me excitement knowing we have ISU, P. State, Mich State, Wisky and Oh State all at home. But honestly, I thought Iowa played a lot better last year on the road. We rolled into Beaver Stadium (some say the most hostile territory in college football) and handled business Clayborn style. We McNutted all over Sparty’s house at the last minute. Randall’s House of Pain wore off the second half. The shoe didn’t scare our back-up QB who took (with the help of B-weg and a 99 yard DJK “whose your daddyâ€￾ return) us into over time with the Rose Bowl victors.

I think about our home wins...me dropping a log in my Levis during the UNI game, standing in Kinnik, sweating like the devil in church during Arkansas State's 4th quarter push (thanks Stanzi). Watching Northwestern awkwardly pull Ricky down in our beautiful endzone for our season’s first loss.

I may be over reacting, but last year I felt more confident watching our boys head into enemy comforts. I get all the stats, but until I see us ROLL teams at home, I will keep a fresh pair of pants close. Thoughts??

So the DSM register has an article about how we have the second best home record in the Big Ten over the past 10 years (2nd to Ohio State).

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/07/21/ten-iowa-hawkeye-storylines-no-3-kinnick-karma/

Reading this should bring me excitement knowing we have ISU, P. State, Mich State, Wisky and Oh State all at home. But honestly, I thought Iowa played a lot better last year on the road. We rolled into Beaver Stadium (some say the most hostile territory in college football) and handled business Clayborn style. We McNutted all over Sparty’s house at the last minute. Randall’s House of Pain wore off the second half. The shoe didn’t scare our back-up QB who took (with the help of B-weg and a 99 yard DJK “whose your daddy” return) us into over time with the Rose Bowl victors.

I think about our home wins...me dropping a log in my Levis during the UNI game, standing in Kinnik, sweating like the devil in church during Arkansas State's 4th quarter push (thanks Stanzi). Watching Northwestern awkwardly pull Ricky down in our beautiful endzone for our season’s first loss.

I may be over reacting, but last year I felt more confident watching our boys head into enemy comforts. I get all the stats, but until I see us ROLL teams at home, I will keep a fresh pair of pants close. Thoughts??

I think it is hilarious how some people all of a sudden think that we are such a great road team and a mediocre home team based off of 1 SEASON. That is almost laughable. A Kirk Ferentz team will almost always play better at home. I will play the better teams at home vs the road any season.

I think it is hilarious how some people all of a sudden think that we are such a great road team and a mediocre home team based off of 1 SEASON. That is almost laughable. A Kirk Ferentz team will almost always play better at home. I will play the better teams at home vs the road any season.

Glad I could provide you a laugh. Your response bores me.

I don't think they necessarily played better on the road last year because they were on the road, but rather they played almost everyone close, good and bad teams. Which for the exception of the 2002 and 2003 teams, has kind of been the norm.

I don't think they necessarily played better on the road last year because they were on the road, but rather they played almost everyone close, good and bad teams. Which for the exception of the 2002 and 2003 teams, has kind of been the norm.

fully agree...seems like we always play to our competition's level.

Totally agree. People are stupid and swayed by small sample size.

We played well on the road with a brutal schedule, because we had a relatively veteran team with a seasoned QB. This year we have a green O-line which doesn't afford us much time to gel offensively. Oppossing teams know Kinnick is a snake pit, and are prepared for it.

Hahah...dang, now Im stupid! But at least you used a cool scientific "sample" reference. I'm not ringing the bell saying the sky is falling, just saying that the team we more or less have today (who played last year) seemed to play better on the road, like we had something to prove - a chip on our shoulders. At home we played more entitled. Drop the insults and look at recent history, which carries more weight than a group of guys who played 3 years ago.

Totally agree. People are stupid and swayed by small sample size.

It is more illogical to look at a larger sample size......with the turnover in rosters every 4-5 years it makes little difference how the 2003 squad (just an example) did at home versus on the road.

JLoss I feel you man (not literally). After last season I was cautiously optimistic for this season's home schedule. It's great that we get all the heavy hitters at home but the way we performed at home last year didn't exactly blow anyone away.

Also, your post's metaphors gave me a few good belly laughs.

This notion that because of last years backward result it is going to be the norm for Iowa now is ridiculous. All CFB teams typically do better at home. Last year for Iowa rarely happens to all CFB teams. Basically it is still better to play the better teams in your place.

Always better to have the tough ones at home. Look at it this way: say our worst fears are realized and Iowa loses 3 midseason games, is billed as a national disappointment and is out of contention for an upper-tier bowl. As fans, we'll still have something to get jacked about: Ohio effing State coming into Kinnick in November. Think back to 08. We got beat in the final minute by the fighting Ron Zooks on November 1st. 3rd ranked PSU rolls in undefeated the following week, and the rest is history. Iowa likely doesn't win that game on the road, but at home, anything is possible.

Don't worry. We're gonna McNutt all over those idiots that think they can come into Kinnick and win.

Let me add one tidbit...I would prefer to play the tuff ones at Kinnik. I am cautsioulsy optimistic that our 78.5% winning home schedule betters itself this year. I just want our guys to have the "I'm out to prove something" attidude that they SEEMED to have more of on the road last year. I want to sit in the stands, scream back in black and watch friggin heads roll. I'd rather see it in Iowa City than on a TV. Or both would be fine too.

Always better to have the tough ones at home. Look at it this way: say our worst fears are realized and Iowa loses 3 midseason games, is billed as a national disappointment and is out of contention for an upper-tier bowl. As fans, we'll still have something to get jacked about: Ohio effing State coming into Kinnick in November. Think back to 08. We got beat in the final minute by the fighting Ron Zooks on November 1st. 3rd ranked PSU rolls in undefeated the following week, and the rest is history. Iowa likely doesn't win that game on the road, but at home, anything is possible.

Excellent perspective...totally agree

Last year Iowa played well in BIG GAMES.

It just so happened all of the BIG GAMES were on the road.

This year they are at home, and that's a good thing.

Last year Iowa played well in BIG GAMES.

It just so happened all of the BIG GAMES were on the road.

This year they are at home, and that's a good thing.

Great point. I think this was more of the issue then whether it was road or home game. I look for an Iowa team that plays much better at home. Whether that means more wins at home or not is yet to be determined as those are some dang tough games. But I am glad they are at home, Kinnick is a great 12th man.

Latest posts