I don't understand the complaining...

ok, really? your going to stop comming to the game because you cant drink like a fish before it? i used to get sloshed before every game when I was in my early 20's. Now I prefer to watch the game and rember it. The reason they are cracking down is because some people took it alittle too far in the past. Heck, i was prolly one of them. Have a few cold ones, keep your music so just you can hear it, stay in your area for the most part and relax. And if you feel SO strongly about drinking that your willing to not come because of that then A. your not really that big of a fan and B. let someone else come that is here to watch the Hawks and not just come for the party.

I just posted on a similar thread raising the issue of how do the rules potentially impact the hostility of our environment for opposing teams. Kinnick gets pretty loud for big games. The excessive drinking may have something to do with it. I know it shouldn't, but I think it does. Do these new rules impact this edge?

As the press release stated, its not drinking that they are trying to stop, its EXCESSIVE drinking they are trying to stop. Excessive drinking in public has never been socially acceptable, and its very hard to find places where it is actually legal. The fact that they are finally making a concerted effort to reign in the drinkers who cross the line (NOT the drinkers who are intelligent and prudent about it), should not be that surprising, especially since they warned you first.

If you can't enjoy a Hawkeye football Saturday without getting sloppy drunk and getting stupid, well, I think you have bigger problems. I like my beer as much as the next guy, but I personally don't need any alcohol to enjoy the Iowa Hawkeyes. Game day should be about the football, after all, IMHO.

This was the first Saturday under the new policy. The various law enforcement agencies clearly haven't worked all the kinks out yet and apparently weren't as consistent as I'm sure they would like to be. Do you get everything perfect on the first try? I'm sure with time and practice they will begin to be a lot more consistent in enforcement and each individual officer will acquire a better feel for the new policy as well, and will know exactly what is intended of them.

Of course, as with anything in life, there will be isolated individuals within the law enforcement community who will get off on the power and take things too far. But that is the same for every other day of the year as well. Overall though, the vast majority of law enforcement officers are very professional and just want things to be safe and to run smoothly and for everyone to have a good time.

For the slippery-slope people, chill. There will always be alcohol at Hawkeye tailgates, they will always be fun and the lots and stands will always be filled with fun-loving, die-hard Hawk fans. The University doesn't want to change any of that. But when things become unsafe and some people's game experiences start to become diminished, all because of EXCESSIVE drinking, the University has an OBLIGATION to act. Hawkeye football shouldn't just be fun for the sloppy drunk crowd. All who come deserve to have a good time. The University isn't asking you to stop drinking, just to use some intelligence and control while doing so.

Last edited:
For the slippery-slope people, chill. There will always be alcohol at Hawkeye tailgates, they will always be fun and the lots and stands will always be filled with fun-loving, die-hard Hawk fans. The University doesn't want to change any of that. But when things become unsafe and some people's game experiences start to become diminished, all because of EXCESSIVE drinking, the University has an OBLIGATION to act. Hawkeye football shouldn't just be fun for the sloppy drunk crowd. All who come deserve to have a good time. The University isn't asking you to stop drinking, just to use some intelligence and control while doing so.

I would not be so sure about the university always having alcohol in their lots. Whenever the subject of what the university is doing to control binge drinking they routinely mention how Nebraska had a problem and what they did to control it. Guess who doesn't allow alcohol in their lots.

I would not be so sure about the university always having alcohol in their lots. Whenever the subject of what the university is doing to control binge drinking they routinely mention how Nebraska had a problem and what they did to control it. Guess who doesn't allow alcohol in their lots.

And what percentage of universities don't allow alcohol on their property? 1% or less? Who else besides Nebraska? The odds of the university banning alcohol are miniscule at best. But in the extremely unlikely event that it eventually does, it would be the drink-like-a-fish crowd who would make it necessary, not the drinkers who are able to control themselves.

So, DON"T GIVE THEM A REASON to go down the slippery slope!!! Its as easy as that! Just drink responsibly and intelligently, and you will have nothing to fear!

The only place you have a right to get sloppy drunk is in your own home!

I love the exaggeration on how bad things were. To be honest I have only seen a handful of incidents that were all that bad in the tailgating lots (including Myrtle) over the last 6 years. But to listen to some you got people puking,dropping F bombs around 7 year olds, starting fights and doing whatever they can to **** you off every thirty feet. While inside the stadium I have seen maybe 2 or 3 incidents and they were taken care of by talking to the people and in one case getting security. It's not that hard. Maybe I am lucky or can overlook small things.

I have said it before there are some lots that are not for everyone. That is what makes Kinnick tailgating great there is some form of tailgating for everyone from non alcoholic to rowdy. If you don't like it rowdy stay out of Myrtle (probably the most rowdy). Heck there is a fun but more family friendly tailgate right across the street at the Mennonite church.

As far as the ever popular cry of give up your seats then there will be someone to take them. That is true THIS year. But when Iowa has a 6 or 7 win season there will not be that line of people wanting your tickets. Heck even next year with the home schedule going from the best we ever had back to decent a lot of those extra season tickets bought will go away. There were many who bought ST's this year to turn a profit. Remember during our 6-7 and 6-6 teams 3 packs were sold the next year. They didn't sell those because of the never ending demand of people wanting to get into Kinnick. Those were sold to fill it up.

As a personal note I had fun and will probably have a decent time the rest of the year. To be honest the new rules had a small effect on me. I just have not liked the way tailgating has been going on slippery slope for the last few years. Especially last year and this year. Not going to give my tix up this year or probably next year but where and when I park may be effected.

Great post- we all need to step back and keep things in perspective a bit. We do need to keep room under the tent both for those who want a more family-friendly atmosphere and those fans who want to socialize and drink a bit but do it responsibly. Most fans can probably live with these changes if the University does their part and tightens things up a bit. I read too many stories over the weekend about kids getting hassled, problems with security personnel at the gate and seemingly random enforcement of these policies. Barta wrote back to me in an e-mail this morning that they want to preserve the great Hawkeye tradition of tailgating but cut out the over the top drinking. From the sound of things they have a ways to go to get there. I too worry about the slippery slope.

And what percentage of universities don't allow alcohol on their property? 1% or less? Who else besides Nebraska? The odds of the university banning alcohol are miniscule at best. But in the extremely unlikely event that it eventually does, it would be the drink-like-a-fish crowd who would make it necessary, not the drinkers who are able to control themselves.

So, DON"T GIVE THEM A REASON to go down the slippery slope!!! Its as easy as that! Just drink responsibly and intelligently, and you will have nothing to fear!

The only place you have a right to get sloppy drunk is in your own home!

Ohio State is another one in the Big 10. In the other conferences I do not know. To be honest I think we are going toward this. As I said earlier I think there is an exaggeration how many sloppy drunks there are. I don't like the sloppy drunks as much as the next person but someone hooping and hollering while yelling GO HAWKS with a slight buzz (who will sober up in the 3 hours of a game) is not the same as someone who can barely walk while puking on the sidewalk. With some people I'm not sure they can or will notice the difference.

Your post is BS. What most of us do has nothing to do with how the University will respond. They put these rules in place because of the less than 1% of people that can't control themselves with alcohol.

Why is hard alcohol not allowed!?!?

If it's on private property and I'm of age then why does the government have a say?

Just because they're the rules, doesn't make them right.

This reminds me of what an AF Chief said about abiding to a horrible rule... "You can go to prison, get use to being F'd in the A, but it still don't make it right."
This is the same great guy who couldn't believe people are excited about visiting the Pentagon and said, "I don't know why people get excited about going there, it is nothing but a big SQUARE office building". Then laughed at himself knowing he was being a smart azz.

He said... you have time off... that doesn't mean do nothing... finish your degree, do yardwork, study, call family. Stay busy because you just don't have enough time in life to be wasting time away.

About his kids... "My kids have graduated college and have jobs... that is the best you can ask out of your kids... to be a productive part of society and I am proud of them."

He is retired now... and I miss his outlook on life. America needs more people like this fella.

BTW... the tailgaiting rule is really dumb. Drinking alone should not be against the law if you are of legal age and not being dumb.

Wrong...I've been a season ticket holder for more than 10 years and it hasn't mattered who they played, the drinking was out of control. Yesterday, there was a HUGE difference on Melrose and it was very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I imagine the ISU game will be worse, but I'm encouraged to know that the U of I is working on rectifying the problems that out of control drinking causes. I also would imagine that the number of law enforcement will increase dramatically next weekend, so hopefully they can continue to make the environment family friendly.

I'm not against drinking and enjoy a cold beer as much as the next guy. But, I'm also responsible and mature enough to control my drinking. If I wanted to get hammered and make an idiot out of myself, I'm glad I'm sensible enough to not do this in front of 70K other people and ultimately ruin the experience for many others who just want to enjoy a football game.

I'm not sure how many times we can go over this...the areas around Kinnick are not normal streets...it's an event. Dwayne...look around your neighborhood this morning...then go to Kinnick Stadium on Saturday. Let me know if you notice anything different. If you don't, continue taking the medication. However, do not drink and walk on the sidewalks with the open container, in your neighborhood...that has ALWAYS been against the law.

Obviously the University viewed Kinnick differently UNTIL this year. There was never an open container enforcement UNTIL this year.

I don't believe this to be true. Last year I parked about a mile from the stadium in a residential area and walked up to Melrose and down to the stadium. I saw several instances of police making people on the sidewalks/streets dump their beers. My sister ran into several private yards/parties in order to keep drinking hers. Maybe they are writing more tickets this year instead of giving warnings.

Wrong...I've been a season ticket holder for more than 10 years and it hasn't mattered who they played, the drinking was out of control. Yesterday, there was a HUGE difference on Melrose and it was very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I imagine the ISU game will be worse, but I'm encouraged to know that the U of I is working on rectifying the problems that out of control drinking causes. I also would imagine that the number of law enforcement will increase dramatically next weekend, so hopefully they can continue to make the environment family friendly.

I'm not against drinking and enjoy a cold beer as much as the next guy. But, I'm also responsible and mature enough to control my drinking. If I wanted to get hammered and make an idiot out of myself, I'm glad I'm sensible enough to not do this in front of 70K other people and ultimately ruin the experience for many others who just want to enjoy a football game.

Agreed!

For those of you complaining about the new rules, how many of you routinely attend games at other stadiums? Do you think these rules are unique in any way? I have been to at least a dozen other Div I stadiums all over the country with robust tailgating activities and the rules are pretty consistent everywhere:
1. No visible hard alcohol.
2. No open containers outside of designated areas.
3. No kegs.
4. No public urination.
5. Music should be kept at a reaonable level.

I was at the Nebraska game this past weekend and I saw 'ZERO' people walking around with open containers, music was kept at reasonable levels, hard alcohol was kept in small- inocuous containers....and despite all this, people were still having fun! I might add that people seemed to respect these rules without the need for roving bands of police.

Why not crack down on the public intox and not on ordinary people having a beer?

PS--Why in the hell is a keg not allowed if beer is!? One container per drinking adult instead of multiple cans per drinking adult. It makes for a lot less trash so all you people, "don't have to kick them on the way to the stadium." Keg beer does not equal black out drunk. It's just big government sticking its nose into our business thinking they know best.

The government doesn't know best. Just about everything they touch they ruin.

Last edited:
We tailgate in the West parking lot at Kinnick. I had a pretty great time, didn't seem any different, and plenty of us were drinking. I'm going to keep getting my season tickets and enjoying the game, cause thats what Saturday's are about to me... THE GAME! Some people forget about that, and use Saturday's at Kinnick as an excuse to be idiots, and try to pass themselves off as "huge Hawkeye fans". If you're that big of a Hawkeye fan, make the GAME the big event and what you wake up for on Saturday morning...

I'm not a heavy drinker at all, I'm not supporting that behavior, but it pisses me off when changes are made to effect everyone's experience

Everyone's experience? Really? The changes effected everyone's experience?

I agree with your later point that the enforcement needs to be made consistent within and across the various agencies working the game.

Your post is BS. What most of us do has nothing to do with how the University will respond. They put these rules in place because of the less than 1% of people that can't control themselves with alcohol.

EXACTLY! That's the point!! You got it!! A small minority of people are the one's who are going too far and being stupid and irresponsible. The thing is that it only takes a small minority of idiots to ruin the experience for a whole lot more.

If you are being responsible and intelligent and are obeying the laws, then you will have no problems. Its the small minority of idiots that they are trying to crack down on.

Very, very well put.

For year now I have been lamenting that Iowa football games are becoming less of a family event and more of an alcohol-induced drunk fest. I have nothing against tailgating or responsible drinking. I *am* against those that think they should be able to do whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want.....and screw anyone who doesn't like it.

I both laugh and shake my head at those whining (yes...whining) about the new policies because it seems they cannot have "fun" without alcohol. I saw thousands upon thousands of people having a GREAT time Saturday. I saw ZERO drop in the game day "atmosphere". These people WILL be back next game...next year...the year after, etc. Those that want to be crybabies and go away....like 2boys said....there will be PLENTY of people lined up to take their place....possibly people/families who were previously driven away by the obnoxious over-the-top crowd.

It is supposed to be about the football, people. You can get drunk and act stupid at home. You can still have fun within the rules and enjoy game days in Iowa City. Is it really that hard? Or are some of you just too stubborn?

I am absolutely amazed by people who think there is more drinking or binge drinking going on now than 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I'm in a private lot so most of these new tailgating rules do not affect me. However, if you think drinking is more prominent now than in the past....well you just do not have a clue. 25 years of Hawkeye football and I can say it is definately not any worse.

Latest posts