I dont like the preseason love Iowa is getting

I0WA

It seems like ESPN and Rivals.com is giving Iowa waaayy to much preseason hype. #1 Defensive Line? I'm okay with that. #1 team with best chances to win a National Title? What?! I'm a little heisitant with that. #1 Special Teams?! Oh god, Ryan Donahue is a beast at punter,but Murray? I get scared to see him kick past 25 yds, not to mention the missed 22 yd FG that could have won us the OSU game. #1 Secondary? With the departure of Amari,we have questions at corner. I'd say top 10 but number #1? No. With all this preseason hype a 9-3 season would be a HUGE letdown.
Also these are NATIONAL RANKS not just BIG TEN:confused:

A 9-3 record will only be a letdown if you let it be. I hope for better, but I can never look at a 9-3 record as a letdown.

I guess all this pub can only help with recruiting.

I agree 9-3 regular season would be a let down for me. A good year, but still a let down knowing what could have been.

Soak it in, we don't get this very often!

Yep, I agree 100%. Iowa fans are a finicky bunch. There are some who don't like the hype when we get it, which isn't all that often. Then there are some who like to play the disrespected route, sometimes you gotta **** or get off the pot, or not take it too seriously, up to the individual I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would take 9-3 and Cap One or Outback Bowl right now with a chance to finish at 10-3 and probably ranked in the top 12.

I guess all this pub can only help with recruiting.

I agree 9-3 regular season would be a let down for me. A good year, but still a let down knowing what could have been.

How do you know right now "what could have been"? What if the 3 losses are blowout losses and not close games?

Now if they would lose 3 games by 1 point each then I agree it would be a let down and you can play the "what could have been" card, but you can't play it in August.

It seems like ESPN and Rivals.com is giving Iowa waaayy to much preseason hype. #1 Defensive Line? I'm okay with that. #1 team with best chances to win a National Title? What?! I'm a little heisitant with that. #1 Special Teams?! Oh god, Ryan Donahue is a beast at punter,but Murray? I get scared to see him kick past 25 yds, not to mention the missed 22 yd FG that could have won us the OSU game. #1 Secondary? With the departure of Amari,we have questions at corner. I'd say top 10 but number #1? No. With all this preseason hype a 9-3 season would be a HUGE letdown.
Also these are NATIONAL RANKS not just BIG TEN:confused:

Interesting...hating on good pub from national pundits. I always thought good pub was a good thing. Especially as it applies to recruiting.

I guess Iowa State is in a great position then.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, Its just the last couple times we've had this much preseason hype (in 0'5 mainly) we have finished the season unranked in the final polls. Yes it will definitely help recruiting but if the players see this and get too fond of themselves we COULD have a repeat of 0'5 (the nightmare season)

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, Its just the last couple times we've had this much preseason hype (in 0'5 mainly) we have finished the season unranked in the final polls. Yes it will definitely help recruiting but if the players see this and get too fond of themselves we COULD have a repeat of 0'5 (the nightmare season)

Other than 05, you have to go back to 1997 to find this much hype, so it's not like a common occurance as you make it out to be, you also need to remember that the 05 team didn't have a D like the one the 2010 team will have either.

Where's Homer, he can give you some insight.

How do you know right now "what could have been"? What if the 3 losses are blowout losses and not close games?

Now if they would lose 3 games by 1 point each then I agree it would be a let down and you can play the "what could have been" card, but you can't play it in August.

What could have been is in my head.

Well, you should know that there is NO team on our schedule that we are incapable of beating this year. That is a fact, and Thats the way I see it. It's up to these kids if they want to make history for this university and fanbase. I think the character is there as the adversity they overcame in most of last years game pretty much proved that. Plus, every interview pretty much has the same tone, no matter who the player is..."hard work, hard work, hard work." They know this isn't gonna come easy, and more importantly, they know what it takes to win the big ones...at least the "leaders" on the team do. They deserve the hype, and for once, I think they're gonna live up to it.

Top ten teams get a lot of hype...it comes with the ranking. I personally love the national attention and think we should embrace it!

I hate not getting any respect for around the country, so i think all the hype is good in my mind. I think its up to our players and coaches to be able to handle it. Some people think that the hawks wont be able to handle the hype like back in 05 but i disagree. I think Kirk will take a different approach then in 05 just like he did with the orange bowl last yr as opposed to the 02 orange bowl.

I hear a lot of people talking about Iowa "taking the next step." Hate to break it to ya, but the next step comes with lots of publicity and lots of expectations. What do you think would happen in Columbus if there team was getting no publicity, no preseason honors, nothing at all, like it appears most of us hawk fans are hoping for? Does 9-3 sound good in Columbus? Do we need to hold our team up on a pedistle? No... but understand that this is what we have wanted, to get a team that 9-3 might be a bit of a letdown. Its been a long time since an Iowa team could come into a season as a National Championship caliber team. That's right folks, a Championship CALIBER team. I don't think anyone would argue that it is both a crazy but yet very realistic goal for this season. We have a 12 game slate in which we feel we could or should win every game. This, of course, will be extremely tough for any team, but don'e let the national attention defer us from embracing what the last few years of success have garnered us.

some fans give me a headache

you would complain if iowa didn't get any attention and they were swept under the rug. you complain that we actually have some good press this year and have high expectations.

how about you write a blog about what you actually want said pre-season and maybe the talking heads from around the country will listen to you.

love the hype. love the expectations. now its time to go out on the field and take care of business. see you in kinnick

some fans give me a headache

you would complain if iowa didn't get any attention and they were swept under the rug. you complain that we actually have some good press this year and have high expectations.

how about you write a blog about what you actually want said pre-season and maybe the talking heads from around the country will listen to you.

love the hype. love the expectations. now its time to go out on the field and take care of business. see you in kinnick

YES!!!

I don't mind the all the pub we are getting, but we just need the coaches to remind them of the prior debacles that we have endured when faced with this fact. I think the staff finally is reaping the rewards of the hard work that has been put in. Not only by the coaches but the players as well.

Latest posts