I despise Big Ten basketball refs

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
more so than any other college sport's refs or any other sport's officials at any level.

So inconsistent. And so poor at their job.

I certainly hope they aren't this bad at their day jobs or else that explains a lot about society and the shape we are in...

Good grief.

The reffing in that game was just god-awful. And I understand when a home team gets all the calls when it's a crazy environment. But that arena was quieter than a library for most of the game.

Don't get me wrong-- you give up 14 3s, you can't blame the refs for losing. But getting even one of the calls that didn't go Iowa's way in the last 8 minutes would have been huge.

But if you think about it, even the announcers caught a terrible call when they gave NU a time out without possession. I wish I remembered if they scored off that possession or not because that right there could of been the difference maker.

I completely agree. The inconsistency is baffling. It sure seemed Basabe was getting fouled down low on his attempts. Also, can Matt Gatens get a call on a drive to the rim. Also, a pivotal spot in the game, Cartwright makes a drive and gets bumped down low as he releases the shot and no call. Back to the other end and Shurna makes a semi-drive to the bucket with little contact from Basabe and they call Mel for his 4th foul. Oh, btw, they let Wisconsin muck up games and get away with foul after foul every game. I know Iowa wasn't playing Wisconsin, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I just really don't get how the little ticky tacks get called and some of the crazy obvious stuff just goes unnoticed. I think NU really plays on that smart less talented kid persona.

Moving screens, over the back on nearly every other play are just a few calls that drove me nuts tonight. Just to name a few...

Moving screens, over the back on nearly every other play are just a few calls that drove me nuts tonight. Just to name a few...

Iowa was so **** poor at so many other things tonight I failed to notice the officiating mattering much at all.

I can go on and on about the things that bother me about this team.

The other call that consistently gets called wrong is this one...

Player is on the floor scrambling for the loose ball, he's sliding all over, feet and legs flopping all over without possession of the ball when the opposition comes in and tries to get a jump ball.

Ref blows the whistle and gives the timeout to the original player. That is the biggest horsecrap call.

There are only two correct calls there:
1) He has possession, therefore it's a travel.
2) He doesn't have possession, therefore the team cannot be awarded the timeout. At that point the ref has to either call a foul on one of the players or a jump ball.

So many times this year I have seen a B1G ref give the player the timeout, which can't happen. It's an impossible call to make. If you are giving him the timeout, you are saying he has possession of the ball. If he has possession of the ball, it's a travel.

Iowa was so **** poor at so many other things tonight I failed to notice the officiating mattering much at all.

I can go on and on about the things that bother me about this team.

I'm not saying anything about the outcome of the game. I'm sick and tired of watching crappy officiating. It takes the fun and flow right out of the game. It's ridiculous and should be fixed.

more so than any other college sport's refs or any other sport's officials at any level.

So inconsistent. And so poor at their job.

I certainly hope they aren't this bad at their day jobs or else that explains a lot about society and the shape we are in...

Good grief.

I don't think it's just the big ten. I watch a lot of college ball and have noticed some very bad and inconsistent officiating across the board. noticeably more than ever before anyway.

I'm not saying anything about the outcome of the game. I'm sick and tired of watching crappy officiating. It takes the fun and flow right out of the game. It's ridiculous and should be fixed.

No I hear you there are some odd calls being made by collegiate basketball officials.

I did not notice that many really bad ones in this game either way....

I did notice Iowa screw up a chance at victory. It is just frustrating seeing them so close yet play like complete idiots at times.

This call always gets me.

Let's say Iowa is playing Wisconsin, Wisky's Taylor is at the line, he misses, Melsahn blocks out and goes up for the rebound, Leuer goes over his back, slaps Mel's arm and the ball goes out of bounds.

1. Leuer is clearly over Mel's back.
2. The ball is clearly out of bounds off of Mel.

So the ref awards Iowa the ball as if Leuer was the last to touch the ball.

Maybe, Iowa lost because we suck. I saw the funniest thing I've ever seen in college basketball tonight. An Iowa ballplayer threw up an air ball on a free throw. It wasn't even close to the basket.

Iowa lost, so everybody complains about the officiating. Suprisingly, officials do rise to the level of the talent.

If the officiating is that bad, don't watch the games. Remember, the OP last year predicted something to the effect that Lickliter might be the coach of the year & that Barta should be fired for hiring McCaffery.

Nobody brings up the times Cole traveled on a couple of baskets. It's just the calls against Iowa people ***** about. No one complained about the elbowing foul against Minnesota last weekend.

I agree that the officiating needs to improve. However, nobody wants the job. If you are a good official, this is what is expected of you:

Road Dog: The life of a top college basketball game official | TheGazette

Maybe, Iowa lost because we suck. I saw the funniest thing I've ever seen in college basketball tonight. An Iowa ballplayer threw up an air ball on a free throw. It wasn't even close to the basket.

Iowa lost, so everybody complains about the officiating. Suprisingly, officials do rise to the level of the talent.

If the officiating is that bad, don't watch the games. Remember, the OP last year predicted something to the effect that Lickliter might be the coach of the year & that Barta should be fired for hiring McCaffery.

Nobody brings up the times Cole traveled on a couple of baskets. It's just the calls against Iowa people ***** about. No one complained about the elbowing foul against Minnesota last weekend.

I agree that the officiating needs to improve. However, nobody wants the job. If you are a good official, this is what is expected of you:

Road Dog: The life of a top college basketball game official | TheGazette

You should have answered, "yes, I cannot read."

1. Nobody is saying Iowa is a good team.

2. I don't care about what the OP predicted about Lickliter, it is completely irrelevant to this discussion. The OP could be a pedophile and it wouldn't change the fact that the officiating was horrible.

The other call that consistently gets called wrong is this one...

Player is on the floor scrambling for the loose ball, he's sliding all over, feet and legs flopping all over without possession of the ball when the opposition comes in and tries to get a jump ball.

Ref blows the whistle and gives the timeout to the original player. That is the biggest horsecrap call.

There are only two correct calls there:
1) He has possession, therefore it's a travel.
2) He doesn't have possession, therefore the team cannot be awarded the timeout. At that point the ref has to either call a foul on one of the players or a jump ball.

So many times this year I have seen a B1G ref give the player the timeout, which can't happen. It's an impossible call to make. If you are giving him the timeout, you are saying he has possession of the ball. If he has possession of the ball, it's a travel.

Is it just me or does that call seem to go against Iowa about once per game this year?

Latest posts