I despise Big Ten basketball refs

I have seen some games that have been reffed poorly but last night was not too bad, and it is not any different than in any other conference. It was pretty much the same for both teams last night, with exception of a couple calls.

Heck, everytime NU ran there offense our guys went with the back door cutters everytime riding them and grabbing them, we could have had a bunch foul out.

The one thing that drives me nuts (and it is done for both teams) is when a player is getting just hammered in the post before they ever get the ball and nothing is called but when they get the ball and turn to shoot it is like an automatic foul even if there was really no contact on the shot. We had a couple of three point plays that way last night. If it is not a foul before they have the ball then it is not a foul when they have the ball.

Maybe, Iowa lost because we suck. I saw the funniest thing I've ever seen in college basketball tonight. An Iowa ballplayer threw up an air ball on a free throw. It wasn't even close to the basket.

Iowa lost, so everybody complains about the officiating. Suprisingly, officials do rise to the level of the talent.

If the officiating is that bad, don't watch the games. Remember, the OP last year predicted something to the effect that Lickliter might be the coach of the year & that Barta should be fired for hiring McCaffery.

Nobody brings up the times Cole traveled on a couple of baskets. It's just the calls against Iowa people ***** about. No one complained about the elbowing foul against Minnesota last weekend.

I agree that the officiating needs to improve. However, nobody wants the job. If you are a good official, this is what is expected of you:

Road Dog: The life of a top college basketball game official | TheGazette

You're awesome.
Congrats on not staying on topic (or understanding what the topic was), bringing up irrelevant topics and taking former quotes out of context. You win at that.

Good job.

The refs were not good as usual, part of the problem with people not liking college basketball is for this reason. The Big Ten officials take the cake in all sports really, just terrible. The inconsistency from one possession to the next is what is amazing. Gatens does not get a call when he goes to the basket, I was shocked when he went for the dunk that a foul was called. I didn't like Morris saying Gatens/Basabe were getting themselves to far "under the rim," it doesn't matter because when a player takes it up strong and can get the ball out from under the rim to shoot, but can't getting hit on the arm and redirected by the defenders lower body.
When we watch Saturday's game against Michigan, somebody needs to keep track of who gets fouled the most with no call: Matt Gatens or Darrius Morris.
Thompson having no fouls in the game is an absolute disgrace, he bumps, hand-checks and hips his player all the time, but NW gets in trouble when he gets called for it.

Maybe, Iowa lost because we suck. I saw the funniest thing I've ever seen in college basketball tonight. An Iowa ballplayer threw up an air ball on a free throw. It wasn't even close to the basket.
Ummm. I don't really know how to respond to such a dumb statement.
Archie was recovering from a concussion and was clearly not completely recovered. Way to through him under the bus for missing 1 shot. Shows what type of human being you are.

Iowa does not suck. We hung with the #1 team in the country, should have beat Wisconsin, pummeled the B10 team of the decade (msu), and beat Indiana twice. A team that truly sucks would have been consistently blown out in these situations. We were not. We did blow out a few teams that do suck. You are talking about a team that has a new coach and system, new very young players, massive transfers over the past few years, an injured point guard out for the season, etc. I for one have been very pleased with our teams performance all things considered.

Sorry to get off the topic of the thread, but posts like this just torque me off. It makes me wonder why "fans" like yourself even follow the team. Don't you have something better to do than get on a forum and belittle the team that you supposedly support? When we return to the upper level of the conference where we belong I truly hope that you are no longer a fan. You don't deserve it.

Last edited:
I question CH's fanship here. He says that Archie's free throw was the funniest thing he had ever seen, instead of being embarrassed and feeling bad for him (my natural reaction). Also he's trying to point out all the things Iowa did wrong like it argues the blanket statement Stormin' started with, wtf Columbus? We are fans, so we magnify the ones that go against us. Apparently not a real fan, he magnifies the things that back up his opinion about the program. Actually from Columbus Ohio? Fishy.

Last edited:

Latest posts