I believe we're essentially down to a one-game season....

It doesnt get any better! What a year to be a hawk. Here's to getting past Sparty and continuing to break the litnany of negative streaks. If we put an exclaimation mark in East Lansing, this season becomes even more historical!

I will write more later; I have a class starting in 5 mins but you don't know how right you are about OSU. They are in serious trouble in Columbus-- locker room problems. The Hawks are getting them at a really good time..... I will explain later......

I will write more later; I have a class starting in 5 mins but you don't know how right you are about OSU. They are in serious trouble in Columbus-- locker room problems. The Hawks are getting them at a really good time..... I will explain later......

I would imagine this might be a division between the defense playing their tails off and the offense, uh, not holding up their end of the bargain. I heard them talking a little about that on BTN this weekend.

I look forward to hearing your insight 68hawk.

I think the MSU game is important for several reasons. First off, a victory exponentially increases Iowa's chances of a Big Ten title and Rose Bowl berth.

Also...in the eyes of the "Big Picture", this game is important in the sense that Iowa's offense needs to finally start hitting their stride. We've seen flashes of what they can do the last two games. Now they need to put it all together for 60 minutes. Any chance Iowa might have of beating OSU this season hinges on the progress the offense makes in the next couple games...IMO.

As fans, we can all start feeling what an incredible year this is turning into. It's a likely assumption that the players are very aware of it as well. Unfortunately, the players on opposing teams are also aware of it and Iowa is no longer the hunter, but the hunted. Hopefully the Hawks can handle the pressure.

In the business, we call this a tease.

If we beat Michigan State on Saturday, I believe we will for all intents and purposes have the Big 10 wrapped up. I know there will be 4 games left and I know the big game at the 'Shoe still looms, but here is my thinking on this:

1. After Michigan State, 3 out of 4 are at home against middle/lower Big 10 teams. I know OSU just got beat by Purdue, but anyone who has watched both teams knows who the more experienced, more poised and more disciplined team is. I don't see us losing any of those 3 remaining home games.

2. I don't believe OSU has the firepower to beat this 3 game schedule
a. @PSU
b. Iowa
c. @ Mich
So even if we lose to OSU, OSU will still, in my opinion drop either the PSU or Mich games.

3. By beating Michigan State, we will then own all the tie-breakers against all the other teams, assuming we do lose to OSU.

This is it boys. Beating Michigan State, in my opinion, will assure us AT A MINIMUM a Big 10 championship and a berth in the Rose Bowl. That's a nice fallback to think of should we stumble or get excluded on the way to the NC game.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If by one game season you mean the team the Hawks play each week, then I agree. However, Indiana and NW are not pushovers. See Indiana versus Michigan earlier this season at the Big House.

Iowa controls their destiny at this point, at least as far as the conference goes. But they will need to come to play each week. I still think Angerer and Edds will make sure this happens.

If we beat Michigan State on Saturday, I believe we will for all intents and purposes have the Big 10 wrapped up. I know there will be 4 games left and I know the big game at the 'Shoe still looms, but here is my thinking on this:

1. After Michigan State, 3 out of 4 are at home against middle/lower Big 10 teams. I know OSU just got beat by Purdue, but anyone who has watched both teams knows who the more experienced, more poised and more disciplined team is. I don't see us losing any of those 3 remaining home games.

a. @PSU
b. Iowa
c. @ Mich
So even if we lose to OSU, OSU will still, in my opinion drop either the PSU or Mich games.

3. By beating Michigan State, we will then own all the tie-breakers against all the other teams, assuming we do lose to OSU.

This is it boys. Beating Michigan State, in my opinion, will assure us AT A MINIMUM a Big 10 championship and a berth in the Rose Bowl. That's a nice fallback to think of should we stumble or get excluded on the way to the NC game.

-------------------------------------------------

While I think MSU is the toughest game remaining on the schedule. I think we need to take care of business the following 2 weeks and blow out Indiana and Northwestern. If we let either of those teams hang around they seem to find a way to beat Iowa lately. We might have Penn State's number but Northwestern seems to have others.

If you are the Iowa coaches, you have to love how the schedule plays out from here.

At 7-0, a lot of teams could get a big head and not listen to the coaches warning them of losses.

But, Kirk can point out our dismal success in East Lansing as a CHALLENGE (and I feel this is a team that loves challenges).

Ditto for getting back at Indiana and NW for embarrassing us at home the past two homecomings.

Then going to the Shoe in an US against the World type of game...

Finally, with the Gophers coming to town, they can play the Revenge Game card from the 55-0 whoopin' we gave them last year.

We can beat every team on our schedule and we can lose to every team on our schedule. The UNI and Ark. State game have give this staff a tremendous tool to keep the team focused and I think they are up to the challenge.

Sorry, I've seen us perform too poorly in the past against NW and Indiana to mail any game in the rest of the way. Especially when you consider that we're going to get each of those teams' best shots considering we'll be BCS top 10 when we play them.

Agree. Iowa can't affort to take ANYONE for granted.

id agree with taking no one for granted, what we did to psu last year could turn around and happen to us. for this point on I think we should just take it one game at a time and try to close out 5-0

They already have 2 losses, unless you mean B10 losses. If Terrelle Pryor continues to play the way he's played, they'll struggle mightily against PSU and Michigan, and hopefully against us. Contain his running ability by boxing the ends, then try to get a push up the middle...that's a good formula against any mobile QB, but against a guy who is as careless with the ball as Pryor is, it's even more important.

Sorry for the ambiguity, I did mean two Big 10 losses.

In the business, we call this a tease.

Not really a tease Costanza; I really had a class starting at that time. Anyhow, I'm free now and can say more. I will use a couple of names and not a couple of others since some of the people involved are good friends and don't need the hassle. Some years ago Tressle roled the dice with Clarett. Basically let him get away with anything he wanted. Missed classes, missed practice, practiced @ less than 100%, lived off campus, etc. Anything....Fast forward to today and TP. If you know any Buckeye fans ask them why Tim Spencer left town. Last week there was a very uncomfortable situation in the pressbox when a VERY VERY important Buck booster told Gene Smith that changes must be made immediately. This person is a very famous Buck alum; known by everyone. This person has the power to change things; he has before. It is known in Columbus that TP is on a trip of his own; doesn't do the weights with the team, blames the recievers for his problems ( you could see that during the game against Purdue) and other things that I will not bring up because of my relationship with people in the program. What I will say is that the locker room is probably right now just the 180 from what you would find in the Hawk locker room. If Penn State does the Bucks, the next week could be the best time ever to face the Bucks in Columbus.

Let's play one game at a time for the next five weeks. Don't look past ANY of them
to think about the next one. FOCUS!! Play em like each one is "sudden death"

I think that every game is important from here on out. None of these games being more important than the other. We could beat Michigan State and lose the rest (well within the realm of possibility if Stanzi gets injured). I think that we need to honestly (and it may sound like a broken record) take it one game at a time. I know the coaching staff is doing just that so I don't think we need to worry; but I have never been one to get my hopes up too much.

History really doesn't mean anything in any game.

While I love this team, they aren't so much better than anyone to be able to overlook them and win.

The OP is right though, we are down to a one-game season. This week the one game is Michigan State. Next week the one game is Indiana. The next week the one game is...

While I appreciate and agree with the sentiment that anyone can beat anyone in this confrence on any given day, I have watched an Iowa team this season that has made a ton of mistakes and spotted nearly every team a lead. 10 points to PSU and Wisc on the road!!!

During the KF era we have gotten used to slow starts, which is why we always sweat the non conf schedule. We have also grown used to consistent improvment and strong finishes.

But more important to me, is that I have watched a team that believes in itself and in eachother so much that have time after time they simply spit in adversity's face and win. This is a team full of leaders. This is a team in every sense of the word.

I have watched a team come out in the second half of games with swagger like they had every thing completely figured out and just impose their will in a physical and intelligent manor.

This team is growing.. This team is special. I see it and feel it and am starting to believe that this just may be that one great team of destiny. Maybe.

I have had the same thoughts as the OP. To me if the Hawks can prevail this weekend against an improving and hungry MSU team on the road, they will not lose again until the 2010 season. I am really beginning to believe that. That is not to say that they can't, but I just don't think they will.

a. @PSU
b. Iowa
c. @ Mich

I definately agree with you and Miller. Obviously the other games aren't gimmies but, we should win the rest of them. I've thought all along this would be the toughest game of the year. I still do. We should face the rest of our opponents with atleast two conference losses. MSU would jump us in the B10 with a win over us.
This is definately one of the biggest regular season games in the history of Iowa football!

Each week we are down to a one-game season. I would bet you that the team and the coaches aren't feeling that if they beat MSU that they have the Big 10 title. Any letdown the rest of the season and the team could have a loss. I'm only looking at one game at a time and right now it is Michigan State. Go HAWKS! Stay focused and the game is yours.

a. @PSU
b. Iowa
c. @ Mich

Latest posts