I believe we're essentially down to a one-game season....

If we beat Michigan State on Saturday, I believe we will for all intents and purposes have the Big 10 wrapped up. I know there will be 4 games left and I know the big game at the 'Shoe still looms, but here is my thinking on this:

1. After Michigan State, 3 out of 4 are at home against middle/lower Big 10 teams. I know OSU just got beat by Purdue, but anyone who has watched both teams knows who the more experienced, more poised and more disciplined team is. I don't see us losing any of those 3 remaining home games.

2. I don't believe OSU has the firepower to beat this 3 game schedule
a. @PSU
b. Iowa
c. @ Mich
So even if we lose to OSU, OSU will still, in my opinion drop either the PSU or Mich games.

3. By beating Michigan State, we will then own all the tie-breakers against all the other teams, assuming we do lose to OSU.

This is it boys. Beating Michigan State, in my opinion, will assure us AT A MINIMUM a Big 10 championship and a berth in the Rose Bowl. That's a nice fallback to think of should we stumble or get excluded on the way to the NC game.

I agree. It's all about Michigan State this week...so big..I wonder where this game ranks in Iowa history with regards to importance?

Sorry, I've seen us perform too poorly in the past against NW and Indiana to mail any game in the rest of the way. Especially when you consider that we're going to get each of those teams' best shots considering we'll be BCS top 10 when we play them.

Sorry, I've seen us perform too poorly in the past against NW and Indiana to mail any game in the rest of the way. Especially when you consider that we're going to get each of those teams' best shots considering we'll be BCS top 10 when we play them.

I agree with this. Both teams run the spread and our defense is not so good against the spread. I think we can score a lot, but Indiana has had no problems scoring on us in 2 out of the last 3 meetings. And to steal a page out of the ACT:

Northwestern is to Iowa as Iowa is to ________.

A. Ohio State
B. Penn State
C. Michigan
D. Kentucky

For those playing at home, the correct answer is B.

I understand what you're saying hawkfan, but I really think you throw past history out with what we've done this season so far. We've erradicated the ghost of Jack Trice by thumping the 'Clones by 4 touchdowns.

We dumped PSU in what was billed as their biggest game of the year.....whiteout/primetime/national tv.

We beat Michigan for only the 11th time in 137 years of playing football.

Heck, we even beat Wisconsin at their place during an 11am game.....not bad considering Beliema was 15-0 in 11am games.

What I'm saying is that during those "special" seasons....you can throw history, trends, past experiences out the window.

I understand what you're saying hawkfan, but I really think you throw past history out with what we've done this season so far. We've erradicated the ghost of Jack Trice by thumping the 'Clones by 4 touchdowns.

We dumped PSU in what was billed as their biggest game of the year.....whiteout/primetime/national tv.

We beat Michigan for only the 11th time in 137 years of playing football.

Heck, we even beat Wisconsin at their place during an 11am game.....not bad considering Beliema was 15-0 in 11am games.

What I'm saying is that during those "special" seasons....you can throw history, trends, past experiences out the window.

Hey man, I'd love to buy what you are selling. But I always approach Iowa football with cautious optimism...when we're up on NW by 2 scores with less than 2 minutes left (and have possession of the ball), I'll relax. Until then, I'll be on pins and needles. :)

When you are undefeated, every game is a one game season. Especially us.

Since we are not winning flashy, teams think they can hang with us as UNI and ASU did. Which is what is going to make this a 5 game season, not one

Keep in mind, Southside, that was Ricky's 1st Big 10 game, we had 5 turnovers, Greene was knocked senseless and out of the game and we still had a chance to win in the closing seconds inside the 10 yard line.

Barring Stanzi getting knocked out of the game, I don't see us losing that one.

With Indiana, there's no more Kellen Lewis or James Hardy so I feel pretty good about that one.

And Minnesota is, well, Minnesota!

Yep...when you consider the opponent, I'm more concerned about Iowa dropping one to Indiana or jNU as opposed to losing at Ohio State. Iowa will be ready to go for the Buckeyes, but they might not be as "up" for a game against Indiana or jNU. That might not make any sense, but you don't have to look back very far to see an Iowa team sleepwalk through games against Indiana ('06, '07), and jNU ('06, '08).

Iowa can't afford to take anyone lightly, because like you said, they're going to get everyones best shot. Right now Iowa is in the same position Penn State was last year - before they went to Iowa City in week 8.

With Indiana, there's no more Kellen Lewis or James Hardy so I feel pretty good about that one.

I am nervous about Indiana, but a little less so than in past years. They went away from their spread and are closer to a traditional offense now, albeit they do it out of the Pistol.

Amen.

I hope the players stay off the boards. As much fun as it is for me to watch the shows and hear Iowa get mentioned in the NCG talks, I really can't but feel like this team is different. More mature? Maybe. Deeper? Perhaps. Unflappable? Me likey....

Our schedule is so stacked against us. NW murdered us at home a couple years ago, but I think they are fading fast. Minnesota will crumble in Kinnick. Can winning at MSU be any tougher than winning at Madison??

Indiana scares me, but their QB has happy feet and that has our front 7 licking their chops.

With each victory the tension mounts - every true blooded hawk fan would give ANYTHING for that one special season. The staff and players deserve it. If they earn the right to go to Pasadena, I can guarantee you I will be there. Go Hawks! ON IOWA!!

JBM

Amen.

I hope the players stay off the boards. As much fun as it is for me to watch the shows and hear Iowa get mentioned in the NCG talks, I really can't but feel like this team is different. More mature? Maybe. Deeper? Perhaps. Unflappable? Me likey....

Our schedule is so stacked against us. NW murdered us at home a couple years ago, but I think they are fading fast. Minnesota will crumble in Kinnick. Can winning at MSU be any tougher than winning at Madison??

Indiana scares me, but their QB has happy feet and that has our front 7 licking their chops.

With each victory the tension mounts - every true blooded hawk fan would give ANYTHING for that one special season. The staff and players deserve it. If they earn the right to go to Pasadena, I can guarantee you I will be there. Go Hawks! ON IOWA!!

JBM

Iowa hasn't won in East Lansing since Hayden was coach, but has won 3 of the last 4 in Madison. Granted, some of those Iowa teams that went into Spartan Stadium were pretty bad, but the numbers speak for themselves. Even the 2003 team lost in East Lansing.

MSU has just as much on the line Saturday night as Iowa does.

Iowa hasn't won in East Lansing since Hayden was coach, but has won 3 of the last 4 in Madison. Granted, some of those Iowa teams that went into Spartan Stadium were pretty bad, but the numbers speak for themselves. Even the 2003 team lost in East Lansing.

MSU has just as much on the line Saturday night as Iowa does.

Keep in mind, Shada, that every year we've played in East Lansing under Ferentz, it's been at the beginning of the conference season....either the 1st or 2nd game. As we all know, we certainly aren't at our best that early in the season under Ferentz.

What's got me really excited is the opportunity to finally play them later in the year when we're closer to running on all cylinders.

Keep in mind, Shada, that every year we've played in East Lansing under Ferentz, it's been at the beginning of the conference season....either the 1st or 2nd game. As we all know, we certainly aren't at our best that early in the season under Ferentz.

What's got me really excited is the opportunity to finally play them later in the year when we're closer to running on all cylinders.

Wasn't aware of that - good point. Judging from today's 2-deep, it looks as if has finally decided on a set starting 5 on the o-line, so that should help matters.

While it's nice to know the game is in hand if the Hawks have a lead in the 2nd half, it'd would be great to see this team put 4 quarters together this weekend.

I agree with this assessment. I think even Jon has said he doesn't see OSU finishing the year without 2 loses.

I agree with this assessment. I think even Jon has said he doesn't see OSU finishing the year without 2 loses.

They already have 2 losses, unless you mean B10 losses. If Terrelle Pryor continues to play the way he's played, they'll struggle mightily against PSU and Michigan, and hopefully against us. Contain his running ability by boxing the ends, then try to get a push up the middle...that's a good formula against any mobile QB, but against a guy who is as careless with the ball as Pryor is, it's even more important.

Latest posts