I am trying to measure my optimism here, but..

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
man, this guy can sell himself. Just spoke with him on KXNO, and we only asked five questions in 15 minutes and he talked the rest of the time...felt like he could keep going, and it was all stuff that had meat on the bone.

I kept thinking about him being in a living room talking with a prospective recruit...and I liked the vision.

He lacks zero confidence in being able to recruit at this level...and he sells the sizzle. I have zero concerns on x's and o's.

Time will tell, but I think Gary Barta just found a gem here.

On a related side note, an expanded NCAA tournament could turn out to be a part of the tonic that gets Iowa hoops relevant again, too..if they expand for 2011-2012, I can see Iowa qualifying that year...and you start doing that, people start getting plugged in again...

Anyway, it feels real good to believe in Iowa basketball again...real good. Fran McCaffery seems like a real winner

I listened to the interview this morning, and I get the sense that he will market Iowa Basketball sort of like a Bruce Pearl would. He mentioned going to the dorms and interacting with the Students, and in my opinion, that will resurrect this program faster than anything. Go Get Em Coach Fran.

WDM

I listened to the interview this morning, and I get the sense that he will market Iowa Basketball sort of like a Bruce Pearl would. He mentioned going to the dorms and interacting with the Students, and in my opinion, that will resurrect this program faster than anything. Go Get Em Coach Fran.

WDM

I take back what I said about hiring a 50 year old-ish coach a week or so ago...it all comes down to whom you are hiring..the individual. This guy has an energy and a passion for the game, and for the kids, and for building things that I just didn't figure was out there...and he has a wisdom. Again, I need to keep in my my own nature to be optimistic and excited at early stages like this, but its hard to contain....plus we're talking about something I love that has been down for a while...the thought of getting back to the dance regularly and watching exciting basketball gets me pumped....winters will be easier to get through too!

man, this guy can sell himself. Just spoke with him on KXNO, and we only asked five questions in 15 minutes and he talked the rest of the time...felt like he could keep going, and it was all stuff that had meat on the bone.

I kept thinking about him being in a living room talking with a prospective recruit...and I liked the vision.

He lacks zero confidence in being able to recruit at this level...and he sells the sizzle. I have zero concerns on x's and o's.

Time will tell, but I think Gary Barta just found a gem here.

On a related side note, an expanded NCAA tournament could turn out to be a part of the tonic that gets Iowa hoops relevant again, too..if they expand for 2011-2012, I can see Iowa qualifying that year...and you start doing that, people start getting plugged in again...

Anyway, it feels real good to believe in Iowa basketball again...real good. Fran McCaffery seems like a real winner

I was with you until the end. NCAA expansion is crap. Iowa can get back without it.

I'm going on record right now: If all recruits come in, all players stay and the schollie gets used for a legit Division One talent, we're on the bubble next year and going to the NIT.

I can't agree with you more Jon. I am super pumped for basketball to start in October. When was the last time you heard that???

Kind of a buzz kill having two Cyclone fans breaking down the hire on your show, though. A little too much dispassionate, distanced analysis. Wish you could be here to pour the Kool-Ade for Central Iowa Hawk fans! Not blaming you, though. I know you had no idea this would happen when you scheduled your vacation. Nothing to talk about all winter, then this happens during your vacation!

Last edited:
I went to the public welcome last night. He did a good job on some weird questions. Although one guy did make a good point that it is up to fans to get back into Carver next year. Basically we need to do our part to help turn this thing around.

Coach did a good job I thought. I agree with Jon that he engages really well. After the press conference he stayed around for a long time afterwards talking to anyone who came up to talk to him. Really old alums, kids and students. I stayed around and just watched him and stayed out for at least 30 minutes just talking to people. That is after a very long day for sure and he mentioned that he still had to call 2 of the recruits to talk with them tonight as he couldn't get a hold of them during the day.

He said he had 4 player meetings yesterday and 5 more for today. I know one of them yesterday was Cougill.

I'm going on record right now: If all recruits come in, all players stay and the schollie gets used for a legit Division One talent, we're on the bubble next year and going to the NIT.

Iowa needs two post players and at least one more ball handler to compete next year. Not sure they are going to be able to get all that.

While Iowa will be running, other Big Ten schools will be slowing things down and taking advantage of Iowa's lack of strength in the paint. FM needs to find a way to level that field, and fast.

Kind of a buzz kill having two Cyclone fans breaking down the hire on your show, though. A little too much dispassionate, distanced analysis. Wish you could be here to pour the Kool-Ade for Central Iowa Hawk fans! Not blaming you. I know you had no idea this would happen when you scheduled your vacation.

This vacation was postponed for 11 years (the honeymoon actually), so there was no changing it if I wanted to get to year 12.

As for hearing others break it down, I look forward to listening to their podcast...its good to hear opinions through the eyes of folks that are not emotionally attached to something...I dont think either Steve or Chris has any axe to grind, so I will like to hear what they have to say.

I take back what I said about hiring a 50 year old-ish coach a week or so ago...it all comes down to whom you are hiring..the individual. This guy has an energy and a passion for the game, and for the kids, and for building things that I just didn't figure was out there...and he has a wisdom. Again, I need to keep in my my own nature to be optimistic and excited at early stages like this, but its hard to contain....plus we're talking about something I love that has been down for a while...the thought of getting back to the dance regularly and watching exciting basketball gets me pumped....winters will be easier to get through too!

For many of us, 50 is that magic age where you are ready for new challenges. Time to get out of the rut and try something new. McCaffery was set at Siena. He had it rolling. He didn't have to leave, but he did. Don't think for a minute that he won't pull out all the stops to succeed.

We'll need to see what Johnson & Moore do for Purdue...this is a good project for me the next 90 minutes...the wife wants to go on an exercise walk on the beach, and she said she is fine going by herself because she knows that stuff like this happens to be my job but also my passion...we'll have a leisurely stroll later :)

I think Iowa can challenge for 7-9 wins in Big 10 play.

I see Iowa winning 10 non conference games. Assuming 13 NC games, I see the record being anywhere from 17-14 to 19-12.

Yeah, I don't see it with the current roster.

Too many 3/4 tweener types. If you could move a couple of these guys and get a couple of real 5s to take their place I would feel more confident.

Also, it would be good to maybe have one less two and one more 1 or at least a true combo/guard.

But, I don't know, I haven't seen Brust play live. Is he perhaps a combo guard at the next level?

This vacation was postponed for 11 years (the honeymoon actually), so there was no changing it if I wanted to get to year 12.

As for hearing others break it down, I look forward to listening to their podcast...its good to hear opinions through the eyes of folks that are not emotionally attached to something...I dont think either Steve or Chris has any axe to grind, so I will like to hear what they have to say.

I was not saying at all that Steve and Chris had "an axe to grind" or that they were being at all unfair. In fact, I think the more they learned about McCaffrey, the more even they liked him. All I am saying is that after a big event in Hawkeyeland, I always look forward to hearing the true-blue Hawkeye enthusiasm you bring on the show. At the beginning though, I think both Steve and Chris were doubting the hire a bit. Since I was already pumped about it, it was not what I was looking for.

Again, I am not faulting you at all for taking a well-earned vacation. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Jon, did not hear the broadcast,but I know you shared most of us in our concern on the recruiting front for the next hire. Do you get the impression that he knows just how important that area is and always has been for Iowa bb? That it is our biggest challenge,year in and year out?
Bottom line, do you think he will be able to compete with the rest of the Big Ten for players..and maybe actually beat them out for recruits? Will he target an assistant or two that have real connections a la a Forbes-type of recruiter?

I see that Al Skinner of Boston College has just been let go...hmmm...wonder if our search committee had any knowledge or interest in him? Not saying....just saying if he had been on the market a week ago, as a Minny native, would he have been of interest...all time wins leader in BC history,and a Mr. Davis disciple,I believe.

Latest posts