Huskers DT Curry to transfer

You say that now, but I think you will start to see a pattern emerge if coach K is around long enough. He may know what he's talking about, but he is not somebody most people enjoy being around.

Denial. You'll learn.

Possibly, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about Kaz up to this point.

Fwiw, Curry (entering Jr. year) is about 6'1" and 275ish, so compared to the other guys at that position, he's quite a bit smaller, iirc. He got some starts last year, but Valentine and Collins are both Sophs and have the starting positions locked up. The 3rd guy in was hurt all of last year and reports say that he has been playing well. Curry was fighting for the 4th spot with another Soph who happens to have pretty good size advantage over him. Will it hurt, sure, but it is what it is.

Hey 74, was my recap of Neb loses on Defense accurate (pg 1)? That sounds like a ton of guys to replace, even just for depth. Thanks for any insight.

Yeah, pretty accurate. To the best of my recollection from last year we lost a Sr. DE, Sr. CB, Sr. Nickleback, a Jr. safety (transferred), and another DE to suspension (Soph, I think.). Now this year we lost Alexander (S), Jackson (NB), Rose (MLB), and now Curry. The first 3 would either be starters or get significant playing time. Curry was going to get some PT, but the thought was he would get 20-30 snaps a game, max.

Fwiw, Curry (entering Jr. year) is about 6'1" and 275ish, so compared to the other guys at that position, he's quite a bit smaller, iirc. He got some starts last year, but Valentine and Collins are both Sophs and have the starting positions locked up. The 3rd guy in was hurt all of last year and reports say that he has been playing well. Curry was fighting for the 4th spot with another Soph who happens to have pretty good size advantage over him. Will it hurt, sure, but it is what it is.

Yeah, pretty accurate. To the best of my recollection from last year we lost a Sr. DE, Sr. CB, Sr. Nickleback, a Jr. safety (transferred), and another DE to suspension (Soph, I think.). Now this year we lost Alexander (S), Jackson (NB), Rose (MLB), and now Curry. The first 3 would either be starters or get significant playing time. Curry was going to get some PT, but the thought was he would get 20-30 snaps a game, max.

Thx for the insight...
20-30 snaps/game is a good chunk of PT to walk away from. I'm not saying it was all the snaps or being passed up on the depth chart or it was all coach Kaz, but perhaps the sum of all things (and perhaps maybe some other factors came in to play as well).

Either way you slice it, that is a ton of attrition for a defense that wasn't dominant to begin with.

Thx for the insight...
20-30 snaps/game is a good chunk of PT to walk away from. I'm not saying it was all the snaps or being passed up on the depth chart or it was all coach Kaz, but perhaps the sum of all things (and perhaps maybe some other factors came in to play as well).

Either way you slice it, that is a ton of attrition for a defense that wasn't dominant to begin with.
You bet. Another part of the story is that the kid is from Texas and supposedly wants to be closer to home.

It certainly doesn't help, and it looks like some young players are going to have to step it up and fill some holes. A few more injuries and things will get interesting. On a side note, many think that the starting DL (if they stay healthy) could be the 2nd best in the conference behind Ohio. I read today that in September 2013 that unit gave up 455 yards per game, but after October rolled around, the D gave up an average of 315 YPG. Pretty good improvement, imo.

You bet. Another part of the story is that the kid is from Texas and supposedly wants to be closer to home.

It certainly doesn't help, and it looks like some young players are going to have to step it up and fill some holes. A few more injuries and things will get interesting. On a side note, many think that the starting DL (if they stay healthy) could be the 2nd best in the conference behind Ohio. I read today that in September 2013 that unit gave up 455 yards per game, but after October rolled around, the D gave up an average of 315 YPG. Pretty good improvement, imo.

So do you think your d line is better than ours? Today's laffy

Now hearing rumors that OT Z. Sterup and DT K. Williams have also been injured. The Williams one sounds like it could be pretty significant.

I didn't say you said it was better, I'm asking the question. What's your answer nebtard?

Just like you, I don't get to see the practices of any team, so for me to make that statement would be uneducated and ignorant.

This is what the guys from BTN had to say:

Dave Revsine @BTNDaveRevsine
"At #Huskers practice. D Line is as physically imposing as any we've seen on tour - and we've seen some good ones
3:41 PM - 18 Aug 2014"

Now hearing rumors that OT Z. Sterup and DT K. Williams have also been injured. The Williams one sounds like it could be pretty significant.

Yeah, there is not a lot of info on either right now. Hearing that both players could be ready to go for conference play but nothing official.

Hey Buttercup, the Badgers have a lot of great things to say about Coach K as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnYCdKDI5hk

Where were/are Sterup and Williams on depth chart prior to speculation above?
Sterup was #1 at right tackle, but recently he moved into a co-#1 with Givens Price.

Williams was likely the #3 at DT, and all reports were that he was practicing really well. The guy has already blown ACLs in each leg, just can't catch a break.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with coach K. The guy went from starting to being the 4th or 5th guy in a 5 man rotation. His body type/frame isn't exactly what is now wanted on our DL.

Hopefully he gets some PT at OU, if he is excepted there.

"excepted there" Do they teach English at UNL as an elective?

Sterup was #1 at right tackle, but recently he moved into a co-#1 with Givens Price.

Williams was likely the #3 at DT, and all reports were that he was practicing really well. The guy has already blown ALCs in each leg, just can't catch a break.

"ALC's" is that the inside or outside tendon? Or the American League Championship?

I appreciate the updates from 74. It is good work.

I think Iowa has narrowed the gap with Nebraska the past 3 years. I think it is going to be a close, competitive game in Kinnick this year, and Iowa has a heck of a chance.

People have to remember that Nebraska generally recruits very well.....they tend to have more depth and more talent than Iowa....keep that in mind.....Nebby will be tough

I appreciate the updates from 74. It is good work.

I think Iowa has narrowed the gap with Nebraska the past 3 years. I think it is going to be a close, competitive game in Kinnick this year, and Iowa has a heck of a chance.

People have to remember that Nebraska generally recruits very well.....they tend to have more depth and more talent than Iowa....keep that in mind.....Nebby will be tough

Where are all the chuggers that gripe that we can't recruit because Ioway is full of honkies and the brothers don't want to play here, but Nebraska and Lincoln are some urban paradise for the young black guys they recruit from all the major urban centers throughout the US and A?

Where are all the chuggers that gripe that we can't recruit because Ioway is full of honkies and the brothers don't want to play here, but Nebraska and Lincoln are some urban paradise for the young black guys they recruit from all the major urban centers throughout the US and A?

I’m right here.

Latest posts